Expired Residencia - new EU Cert

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Expired Residencia - new EU Cert

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:36 pm

olive wrote:We changed ours at Granada. Got the forms, went to the bank and it was too late on return.

Back another day and the concierge/security guy pointed us straight to a nice room on the right. The packed large room to the left looked decidedly seedy and was maybe for non EU peoples.

As soon as he had seen our originals we pocketed them and continue to use them even though out of date for photo ID. Never had anyone actually check the date!

I suspect that we can't have a Spanish one unless you become a Spanish citizen. Is it 10 years before you can apply for citizenship?

olive
Yes, unless you have spanish ancestory or are a footballer !
masterob wrote:A big decision to become a Spanish national just for the sake of a convenient ID document methinks. I think I'm right in understanding that Spanish nationals can't have dual nationality so you would have to give up British nationality. :shock:
Yes spain doesn't recognise dual citizenship but you can still keep your Brit passport as well.
scampicat wrote:People seem to want to change their nationality because passports and other documents are cheaper. Don't understand it myself.
We're tight . :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:29 pm

gus-lopez wrote: We're tight . :lol:
So am I, but still don't want to change my nationality. English (in general) and Wulfrunian (in particular) until I die!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm

So non EU peoples look decidedly seedy. I wonder if they think the same about EU people?

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 pm

masterob wrote:A big decision to become a Spanish national just for the sake of a convenient ID document methinks. I think I'm right in understanding that Spanish nationals can't have dual nationality so you would have to give up British nationality. :shock:
You cannot "loose" your British Nationality. You have to fib to Spain to get Spanish nationality. However at any time in the future you can apply for a new passport when your old one has expired. There is no cncept in Government that anyone would want not to British and not to be a citIzen of the UK.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 am

Our residence cards expired 4 years ago but we still carry them as ID as it's the only photo ID we have apart from our passports which I refuse to carry in case they are stolen. They've never been queried for day to day ID but we can't use them 'officially' for buying a car etc as they do tend to spot the expiry date then. We haven't bothered renewing them for the bit of green paper in the hope that one day we may may a photo card again - but I think we are waiting in vain for that! If it is law to have ID with us at all times, then they could at least issue a proper photo card.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

Wicksey wrote: If it is law to have ID with us at all times, then they could at least issue a proper photo card.
Why should they? It's up to the UK government to issue ID cards and they refuse to do so.

You can't blame the Spanish for that!

I think you will also find that the law requires you to sign on the register and get the certificate when your card expires.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 am

El Cid wrote: It's up to the UK government to issue ID cards and they refuse to do so.
Sid
What I meant was that I thought in Spain it was law to carry photo ID, which is why I'd like a residence card with a photo on it. The Spanish nationals still have photo ID cards.

As far as I know it isn't law to carry photo ID in the UK but even if they did issue cards over there that wouldn't be much good to me here.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 am

El Cid wrote:
It's up to the UK government to issue ID cards and they refuse to do so.
Because there is no requirement in law for people to carry official ID in the UK. You can hardly blame the UK Government for the requirements of Spanish law!
John & Kath wrote:
You cannot "loose" your British Nationality. You have to fib to Spain to get Spanish nationality. However at any time in the future you can apply for a new passport when your old one has expired. There is no cncept in Government that anyone would want not to British and not to be a citIzen of the UK
Don't know what you mean by "loose" your British nationality. You can give up British nationality. Take a look at :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tizenship/

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:07 am

Hi,

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

Tells you how to ................

Nice line.................. "of sound mind (but if you are not of sound mind, you may still be allowed to give up your British citizenship or other British nationality if it would be in your best interests)."
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 am

As far as I know it isn't law to carry photo ID in the UK.
It isn't and for some perverse reason the right to not carry ID is staunchly defended, last government tried to introduce ID cards but dropped the idea when it became clear that it was such a vote looser. :wtf:
. . . but even if they did issue cards over there that wouldn't be much good to me here.
Why not? National ID cards work for every other EU citizen.
Ann

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am

quebin wrote:So non EU peoples look decidedly seedy. I wonder if they think the same about EU people?
Quite probably :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:31 am

annfoto wrote:
. . . but even if they did issue cards over there that wouldn't be much good to me here.
Why not? National ID cards work for every other EU citizen.
I meant that I wouldn't be able to get a UK one as I don't have an address there.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:39 am

I meant that I wouldn't be able to get a UK one as I don't have an address there.
Neither do I but I managed to get a UK passport last year from the Embassy so I don't see why an ID card should be any different, after all I am a UK citizen but a Spanish resident.
Ann

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:41 am

Does a Spanish ID card have an address on it............ :?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_identity_card
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:42 am

Wicksey wrote:
You don't have to have a UK address to get a UK passport so the same would have applied in the case of ID cards.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:45 am

Enrique wrote:
Does a Spanish ID card have an address on it............
Passports don't so. Presumably the same applies to ID cards?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:56 am

My old expired Extranjero ID card has my address on it, was really handy for proving address to banks as all bills go to my Correos address. :thumbup:
Ann

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am

annfoto wrote: last government tried to introduce ID cards but dropped the idea when it became clear that it was such a vote looser

But even if they had gone ahead they would not have been available to non UK residents!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 pm

There are a lot of things wrong with the UK and I may not always want to be there but I would never give up my Citizenship.

It is nice not to be asked for identity in the UK everytime you spend a few quid. When I went to do some legal stuff at a Solicitors I took a folder of stuff, passports, house docs etc. and wasn't asked for anything.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 pm

It is nice not to be asked for identity in the UK everytime you spend a few quid.
Maybe that's why the credit card companies are losing millions? No identification needed.
Dave