retro tinting windows

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

retro tinting windows

Postby olive » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Does anyone know the legalities of tinting windows here in Spain?

I am vaguely tempted to tint (the rear sides only) in an effort to combat heat ingress in my greenhouse on wheels. I could get the pink leather trim seats and 1000 watt tuning later.

I suspect it is a real no no for front windows from a police point of view and possibly from a safety point of view so wouldn't dream of going there. I also suspect that they would be a guardia magnet and that might in itself be a good enough reason not to. Lidl have a kit offer( film you apply and cut) on the 26th April.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: retro tinting windows

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Unless they are a factory fitted option and the ficha technica is altered then I would suggest that it would be an instant ITV failure.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Gerrys on the right lines but not 100% correct. You cannot fit aftermarket solar window film yourself, it has to be fitted by a registered installer.
It cannot be fitted to the front driver/passenger windows but only from the 'B' pillar backwards.

The maximum visible light transmission ( VLT) is 5%. I.e. you can have all rearwards of the 'B' pillars in 'limousine black' or 'mirror film'.

The material used has to be EC homologated with the number shown on each individual piece fitted to each glass area. This can be done by the number being printed on the material but more usually is done by insertion between the film & glass.
Most installers use 'solarcheck' or 'solargard'.
There is no requirement for it to be homologated & put on the ficha tecníca but you must carry the invoice for the installation showing the installers registered address, cif number, etc,etc.& the EC homologation paper of the window film used , a copy of which the installer should supply , in the vehicle along with all other paperwork.

If you are going to have it done use an installer that does nothing else. If you go through a garage tehy'll add on anything up to 100%
Prices vary considerably from region to region.
I paid 150€ to have the side 4 windows + rear window done on my Carnival. The workmanship was & still is superb, far better than any that I've ever done myself.

Here's the eu tint laws for various countries.
http://www.solargard.co.uk/Localization ... ntLaws.pdf
Todos somos Lorca.

Abyss_Rover
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Abyss_Rover » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:00 pm

My "new car"bought in Mallorca, was fitted with side tints and there is nothing on the windows. I have a certificate showing that the tint was fitted as per the regulations.
www.finditfme.com The new way to find what you are looking for.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:42 am

Hi

I have rematriculated many cars; during the ITV check, so long as you homologation, then the windows will pass. However retrograde homologation costs an arm and a leg, and it is nearly always better to have the windows retinted by a professional company.

So whilst you can do it yourself, to get the correct paprework will make it more expensive than getting a professional to do it!

Davexf