Is it hot today?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Is it hot today?

Postby El Cid » Thu May 31, 2012 3:29 pm

The temperature here on the Granada cost has gone crazy today.

It was 25c at 10am and reached 37.4c this afternoon and that reading is taken on proper equipment well away from the house in clear air.

The wind turned into the east this morning and the humidy is ridiculously low at 15% rather than the usual 50%.

Maybe it's a local effect as Malaga are reporting only 28c.

Is it the same elsewhere along the coast?

Sid

Footprint
Resident

Re: Is it hot today?

Postby Footprint » Thu May 31, 2012 3:45 pm

36 degrees here just outside Jimena - with cloud and wind. No idea of humidity though.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu May 31, 2012 3:55 pm

32.4 degrees midway between Coín and Pizarra. It has humidity at 2% which isn't normal.
We are usually about 4 degrees warmer than Malaga in summer.
Ann

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu May 31, 2012 3:57 pm

El Cid wrote:The temperature here on the Granada cost has gone crazy today.

It was 25c at 10am and reached 37.4c this afternoon and that reading is taken on proper equipment well away from the house in clear air.

The wind turned into the east this morning and the humidy is ridiculously low at 15% rather than the usual 50%.

Maybe it's a local effect as Malaga are reporting only 28c.

Is it the same elsewhere along the coast?

Sid
If I hadn't read this, I was going to start a thread to ask if anyone has ever experienced such a marked but short lived surge in temperature before, I know I haven't. Yesterday afternoon it was 29c here, reasonably cool this morning, yet when we went out at 3pm today it was 39c. Suddenly at 4pm we remarked that the wind had dropped and almost immediately it began to feel cooler. Sure enough at 4.15pm the same temperature gauge was reading 34c. Weird.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu May 31, 2012 4:11 pm

I think it was one of these.

Leveche - A warm wind in Spain, either a foehn or a hot southerly wind in advance of a low pressure area moving from the Sahara Desert. Called a SIROCCO in other parts of the Mediterranean area.
Hardworking resident !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 31, 2012 4:40 pm

An easterly wind in the Alboran sea is a Levanter but it is usually very moist as the air has been travelling over water for some distance.

It's not normally hot either as the sea is cold. That's the wind that creates the clouds streaming off the top of Gibraltar.

I don't think it's a Foehn wind as that comes down from the mountains. We often get that but it is never easterly, always north in it.

The Terral which is a very hot wind that blows down the valley into Malaga is a Foehn wind but it doesn't usually reach this far up the coast and it's always westerly.

Looking at the weather charts there is a small depression over the north of Morocco and that would produce winds from the south coming from the hotter parts of Morocco which would turn easterly when they get to the sea.

That's my theory but I was interested to see if it was the same all the way along the coast.

It's down to 33c now. I think it's going to be a hot night!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 31, 2012 4:45 pm

32.8 and 26% humidity here near Cajiz.
I didn't notice the temperature earlier but I'm sure it was hotter and there was a very warm, dry wind blowing.
Can't download my data to my computer at the moment to see the temperature changes etc that have happened today.
All my USB ports are in use copying external hard drives for a while yet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 31, 2012 4:54 pm

In Wigan, 15c on the beach and rising :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 pm

Don't know what the temps were, but just come back from a walk at Torrox Costa and the wind was uncomfortably warm, didn't cool me down at all as we walked. Glad to be in the house, nice and cool downstairs.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:In Wigan, 15c on the beach and rising :mrgreen:
Probably warmer on the pier than the beach. :think:

I once had a holiday on my canal boat near Wigan pier.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 31, 2012 5:05 pm

39 C here in the Poniente. Grim

height of hayfever season, hot wind and can't open the windows.

Still no 3G Movistar internet. If the help desk had said "Cids unusual weather conditions " had been the cause I would have gone mental. 36 hours with only GPRS and they "don't know" what the problem is. Ring us tomorrow if it isn't working properly by then.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 pm

19C here and looks as if it is about to rain...hopefully. The lawn is turning gold, never had a water ban in Spain. Been too hot for me though this week, these UK houses turn like hothouses upstairs, sleep with the windows open and we have the lambs baahing at 4am. Really puts me off the lamb chops :lol:

I do however resist checking the temp. morning noon and night. :silent:

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Thu May 31, 2012 6:32 pm

olive wrote:Still no 3G Movistar internet. If the help desk had said "Cids unusual weather conditions " had been the cause I would have gone mental. 36 hours with only GPRS and they "don't know" what the problem is. Ring us tomorrow if it isn't working properly by then.
I have 3.5G+ whatever that is on my Movistar dongle - having said that where I live there are some fairly decent masts at the top of the hill so no surprise my internet is very fast and reliable. Hope you get it back soon - I could not bear to be without my access to the internet.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Footprint wrote:
I have 3.5G+ whatever that is ....
If you really want to know have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed ... ket_Access

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Humedad: 24% Punto de rocío: 13°C
Presión 1011 hPa Sensación: 37°C
Viento: Sureste, velocidad: 26 km/h

This is Morón de la Frontera and the temperature is 37 deg at 20.15 :thumbdown:

The thermometer that gets the late afternoon sun was saying 48 deg the one on the patio in the shade said 37 deg

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

So it looks like it is much the same along the coast.

Never take any notice of a thermometer that isn't in the shade and preferably not attached to your house. Find some area in shade all the time that gets access to the fresh air.

If it's not then the reading will be inaccurate.

Sid

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Currently 36c in the shade 12k west of Sevilla. Such a hot night last I took my windows out !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 31, 2012 7:25 pm

And let us not forget that this is still the month of May, when typically the temperature only reaches 30+ on one or two days!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Just plugged my weather station in and checked todays readings.
Maximum today at 14:17 was 34.5 with RH 12% and wind gusting from SE at 23,4 Km/H.
Returned to normal after that, now only 25.6 and RH 50%
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Thu May 31, 2012 9:21 pm

gerryh wrote:
Footprint wrote:
I have 3.5G+ whatever that is ....
If you really want to know have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed ... ket_Access

Cheers
Gerry
Thanks Gerry - followed your link and all was revealed - well erm.........perhaps not. I'm a complete moron when it comes to understanding all of that stuff. Provising my dongle works that is all that matters to me! :thumbup: