COMPLETE SOLAR SYSTEM

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

COMPLETE SOLAR SYSTEM

Postby aquaman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 am

Does anyone use a full solar system ? No mains electricity. How is it working etc etc thanks..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: COMPLETE SOLAR SYSTEM

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

It seems to be working fine last time I checked - the planets are all wizzing around the sun without any mains electricity.

The odd Asteroid seems to be keep getting in the way but apart from that - no problems :) :)

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Have a look at http://www.fincasinspain.co.uk
There are some people on there who use solar power.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:14 pm

I have a friend who relies on the sun and a back-up diesel generator. Batteries, inverters - the lot. I once had the misfortune to "house sit" for him for 10 days and I must've complained so much, he never asked me again.

To those of us used to mains stuff, it really was a nightmare - limited power, getting bulk diesel, firing up the generator at night, noise, limited battery life - but I do realise that for some, it is the only option.

Sadly, my knowledge of the system was limited to a (lengthy) list of instructions and I cannot help with any technical details.
nil illegitimum carborundum

mickeyj

Postby mickeyj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Hola,

We run a complete solar powered energy system, I'm no expert...there are plenty of technotypes around though to help, the most important thing to do is to get professional advice, the first thing they should do is to make a list of all your electrical devices you expect to run/use. Then they can work out a system capable of getting you near to what you want.

We made a big mistake in not allowing for a swimming pool built a couple of years after the system was installed. Remember, you will be getting all your power from your batteries, they need to be kept fully charged and "floating" to use a tech term, otherwise you'll need a "genny", on a regular basis to make up for what the sun doesn't give you during the day, when the sun goes, you're on the batteries!

I wish we could have had mains electric, it would have been cheaper in the long term.

mickeyj :wave:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

El Cid wrote: - the planets are all wizzing around the sun
Nice to see even a moderator cannot resist taking the p1zz sometimes....beat me to it Sid! :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 pm

I belive that the rotation of the earth, on it's own axis, is slowing down, and eventualy will rotate once on its axis in the time it takes to rotate round the sun, leaving half earth in permanent darkness and half in permanent daylight, much like we only see one face of the moon.

I hope my house isn't on the dark side, when it happens.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Simple solution Rick - drill a hole right through with a wire (inside those red plastic pipes that protect cables in Spain of course), then set up a solar panel on the other end of it. Permanent 24/7 free electricity!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Brilliant, Peter