the rains are here

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

the rains are here

Postby hillybilly » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:22 am

I hope you're all enjoying the same spectacular thunderstorm and torrential rain that we are this morning (and all night too). First for months.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:19 am

What was quite odd was that the electricity for as far as I could see out my window went about at about 10.40 last night. But the rains and storms didn't start until well after that. In fact they hadn't started when my electricity came back on 11.50.

The storm was indeed very spectacular

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:42 am

Raining in Almuñécar today - but no storm so far. But if it is stormy in the mountains where the reservoirs are that is good.

Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:15 am

Its great to see rain again I am always worried about campo fires. Our electric went off about 2am, husband says storm was amazing but I never heard a thing (must have been the extra glass of wine :wink: )

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:09 pm

Didn´t have any rain overnight but in the middle of a spectacular Thunder Storm at the moment. Electricity has been off twice (10.30 a.m. and 11.30 a.m.) , but only for a few minutes each time. Can´t see the lake at the moment - only 200 meters away - but needs filling badly so any rainfall welcome!

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Assuming it was the same storm going West to East...........the storm passed through Almuñécar around 3.00 pm. Heavy thunder and rain for about ten minutes.......................

Enough to make the weeds grow I´d say.

Could do with some more....................

Dave

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:23 pm

Thanks Brenda, we have a holiday house in Colmenar not far from you, so it is interesting to hear what the weather is doing at your end!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:43 pm

fullmonty wrote: Could do with some more
Well the forecast suggests that it could rain on and off until the weekend.

We live in hope!

Sid

sassy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sassy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:40 pm

and its been grumbling away overhead most of the evening here in Marbella, keeps threatening to rain again, but not much more yet. We too lost our electric in the early hours of the morning and for some bizarre reason the smoke alarms started blasting off at the same time, or is this supposed to happen???!!!

Anyway, Sky TV has been on all evening, all channels, normally all gone off when we have the thunder & lightening, I was getting panicked and started recording the evenings programmes!! Yes, I know, very sad! :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Spectacular over the mountains(sierra de las nieves) right now. Not much thunder though.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:54 pm

raining right now in AEG - 0053pm (am of tuesday). it was thunder and lightning on and off all day, no powercuts as yet, just the odd 3 second blip..(very unusual, AEG normally goes down for hours.)

hope it has stopped by morning, i want to go to work!
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

what a show !

Postby meseta » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:53 am

We dined at a restaurant on Benalmadina Costa yesterday evening. From around 21 to 2200 the lightning was tremendous !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:02 am

I said there was worse to come - tropical storm VINCE to be exact.

It is due to cross the south western coast of Spain this morning with very strong winds and 1 - 3 inches of rain - more in some places.

You can see more details on the US Hurricane website

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Who was it who said "Hurricanes hardly ever happen"?

Sid

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:53 am

Talking to someone who lives up in the mountains behind Almuñécar last night and the weather up there had been a lot worse than on the coast.......loads of rain all day.

If it is raining up in the mountains that is all to the good given the huge water shortage.

I suspect it will need a lot more to get us out of the current crisis though.

I use http://www.inm.es/index.html for my weather forecasts.

Dave

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:01 am

Vince was listed as a Hurricane when in the Atlantic near Madeira. It got listed because it had all the attributes of a typical Hurricane. It is now just a storm having dissipated most of it's power and is probably turning into wet weather with some windy gusts over land. But fortunately it is certainly no longer a Hurricane as such.
This year has been the most active for Atlantic Hurricanes since records began in 1851. In the hurricane alphabet Katrina was before Rita. After Vince there is only a Wilma left in the before switching to Greek names.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:35 pm

It has been raining hard here non-stop for several hours now. Despite this, just saw on the Spanish news that the reservoir levels are still falling.
At least there's no thunder and lightning today so I don't have to work with a quivering rufty tufty Staffie hiding under my desk :wink:

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

6 hours of power cuts

Postby poppylou » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:01 pm

We had about 6 hours of power cuts (3 hours in the afternoon) and the rest on and off (!) throughout the morning yesterday. This in the Competa area. The rain is heavier today, but (fingers crossed) power OK so far.

JJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby JJ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:57 pm

Wonderful isn't it? We haven't had rain, as such, since March. It rained heavily here in Chiclana for most of the day. The power went off this morning for a few hours and then off and on all day, which didn't help with the ironing! Seems to be OK now though. Got soggy moggy and doggy but the sun came out abut 6pm so went to the venta for a drink. More rain to come, so they say, hopefully.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:24 pm

I can't tell you how happy I was to see rain! - The garden is looking greener already. Plus, when I ran the tap to fill the kettle it wasn't muddy water, it was back to looking clean.

The lightning was so amazing at 11pm last night we took the dogs down to the beach to watch it.

It does amaze me that the driving techniques are not changed in the slightest - people do not seem to realise it's even more dangerous to tail someone when the roads are so water logged & perhaps putting their lights on might help?!?! - Is it any wonder that I've heard the distant drones of ambulances over the last 36hours?!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:33 am

More rain on its way..half of Spain on alert with 60 lt/m expected in Asturias and Cantabria.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.