Router problem ?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Router problem ?

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,

We've got a Thomson router that was supplied about 5 years ago by TalkTalk (in UK :oops: ) and it's been fine up to the past couple of days. It is hardwired to the main PC (XP) and I run a wifi connection from it on my laptop. In the last few days, it suddenly drops the Gateway, so although the little TV icons are flashing away, I cannot access the internet.
If I turn off the PC, wait a few moments and then turn it back on, the connection returns, but I've done it 3 times already today and it's only lunchtime !
I have spoken to TalkTalk tech support (in Manila, Philippines :crazy: ) who think it is possibly the microsplitter and they are dending me a new one.

I suspect it is the router rather than the splitter, but has anyone any further suggestions / advice ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Router problem ?

Postby pmb » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

My Thomson 585 failed some time ago. The wi-fi wouldn't work yet inssider showed a signal from it. With a cable it was fine. Five years isn't bad for some electronic stuff these days. Wonder if it's overheating?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 pm

The router has been constantly on for the past 4 or 5 years, so it's probably just wearing out :thumbdown:

Having said that, when hubby used the phone this afternoon, the connection dropped, so maybe it is the splitter after all :?

I have found that if I leave it alone for a while (& sit in a corner chewing my nails with web withdrawal :lol: ) it often sorts itself out & comes back on, so something is definitely not working as it should....I shall await the arrival of my replacement splitter :wave: and see what effect, if any, it has

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 am

Plug the router straight into the wall socket. If it has the same problem it must be the router or the line.

We used to get drop outs whenever it got windy. Eventually it was traced to the cables between the poles moving too much and creating a break in the circuit.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 am

Now why didn't I think of that :roll: - I have to clear a path to the socket anyway (don't ask !) so once I have unearthed it I will give it a go :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Well, it was a good idea, but the router jack is a computer type and it won't fit in the phone socket :thumbdown:

Anyway, events have overtaken this - last night both the internet & hubby's business voice line went 'blank', and it turns out the phone line is broken somewhere underground ! BT underground engineer is due to visit tomorrow and will apparently then decide if any digging is needed. So, given that the weekend is almost upon us, it looks as tho' it could be next week before we are back online :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

In case you're wondering, our neighbour has very kindly allowed us to 'piggyback' his wifi connection :thumbup: :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 pm

As I know you were all wondering what happened next :lolno: :wink: here you are:

After about 3 days, the phone line was working beautifully with no crackles, but now the internet/broadband connection was totally out :thumbdown:

So I phoned the helpline again, told them we had received the new splitter but still no connection, so they said they'd send out an engineer on Saturday. He duly arrived (early !)and confirmed the connection was dead, then proceeded to plug in various bits of his own equipment, which worked. He then re-connected our bits, and hey presto - connection. Unfortunately he had no idea why what he had done had worked, so there's no saying it won't happen again :roll:

What did shock me was that if he had had to replace anything (including the router which was provided by the company in the first place !), then we would have had to pay for the equipment & a callout charge :thumbdown: . However, as he had not found a fault, there would be no charge, which while I am pleased, seems ar$e about face to me :lol: