what to ship clothes wise

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
gilesc
Tourist

what to ship clothes wise

Postby gilesc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Hello again,
I'm wondering about what clothes to ship out to Nerja.
We live in the North of UK and consequently I am in thermals , thick jumpers/fleeces and wet weather gear from OCT to APRIL.
We will be getting some posessions shipped out and I'd like to know whether to include some of my UK winter gear in with the shipping.
What do the females amongst you think? Do I need my winter coat etc etc. We don't want to send loads and loads of stuff which possibly would never be used, on the other hand, we don't want to have to buy new in Spain because we're cold.
I hope you don't think this post is frivolous!
Regards
Carolyn

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: what to ship clothes wise

Postby Mariacristina » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Dear Carolyn

We have winter in Spain too! It is not so long nor, usually, as cold as winter in the UK, but when the winter temperature is 30 degrees lower than the summer temperature it feels positively arctic on occasions. You can be sunbathing at midday in January but need a couple of sweaters and a coat at night! Fleeces are ideal, especially thin ones that you can layer.

Spanish housewives spend January and February wrapped up in fleecy pyjamas and a warm dressing gown and woolly socks, and that is just in the daytime. Of course, most Spanish houses don't have a lot in the way of heating.

Bring a couple of fleeces and warm sweaters and socks and pack a hot water bottle. But you will need your sunglasses in January too - and a camara for when the almond trees explode into clouds of pink and white blossom.

Enjoy!

gilesc
Tourist

Postby gilesc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 pm

o I love this forum, everything we have posted has been answered. Many thanks.
Winceyette PJs +hot water bottle are now on my list.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:00 pm

The locals go shopping in their PJ's! :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

OH didn´t own a jumper until we moved to Spain- he now owns 4!! Once the sun starts to go down in the winter the temperature drops fast too, but usually by mid day it is warm or if you are lucky hot in the sunshine. The thin fleeces are great for the Spanish winters. I have a thick winter coat here with me but only wear it on trips back to the UK in winter. Don´t forget nice warm slippers too!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:46 pm

quebin wrote:The locals go shopping in their PJ's! :lol:
I always take the dogs for their first walk in my PJs -me not the dogs - and sometimes the second. :thumbup:
Brian.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I have even been known to wear a hat and gloves when walking the dogs at 7.30 in winter when the frost was about in February.
Fleeces are great, I don't own a winter coat, just layers which get peeled off towards midday, leaving me with a tee shirt top and light weight trousers. Need versatility.
Slippers, fleecy socks, hot water bottle, dressing gown and a hot milky cola cao for wintry evenings at their coldest - Feb to March.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm

One thing you will find is that the climate can vary considerably according to where you live in Spain.
The coldest I recorded last winter was +1.9 C, whereas others on this forum had frost and ice or even snow.
Nerja tends to be mild. Doubt if you will get very cold weather but it is all relative to what you expect or are used to.
A few winters ago a few snow flakes fell in Nerja and made front pages of the local papers.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:43 pm

8) Electric Blanket. :thumbup: :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 pm

yep I would bring what you have but maybe just less of it. I agree fleeces are brill - layers are a must - much easier. A smart winter coat is a good idea though for the odd occasions - the coast wind can be quite biting!

When we moved I did get rid of loads of winter stuff and just brought the stuff I really liked :thumbup:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49 pm

My Wife wishes she had brought everything she owned and THEN had a cull.
The houses can be very cold in winter.
Not for me as I like a cold bed but for the wife Electric blanket a must, expensive here.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 am

I would bring your fleeces and your thermals.Spanish houses can feel incredibly cold in the winter and its difficult to find warm clothing particularly wool jumper etc here!Dont forget your electric blanket either.It was flipping freezing in my area this winter brrr!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37 am

I agree with the other posts entirely about layering and how cold the houses can be in the winter. It is not unusual for us to have 4 layers on in the house in mid-winter! We only live a short distance inland from the sea but it reached zero in February here and we had a little ice forming on standing water in the garden one night, so it does get chilly. It can also be very wet at times and we bought wet weather gear just to wear here when we first came to Spain as it was going through one if its 'monsoon' periods. If you live in the campo and need to go and dig yourself out on odd occasions, it's very handy to have a good kagool :)

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

To amplify Wicksey's post, Feb 4th 2012, ice round the pool.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:31 pm

I've found sleeveless jackets, fleeces and 'puffa ' jackets very useful-if you have dogs invaluable for early morning walks etc. I have one fleece hat that I use for a couple of weeks in the winter.

YES re electric blankets...Also slipper socks handy in winter.

I wondered about bringing out heavier walking shoes, boots, wellies etc and although I haven't used them nearly as much as in Uk have certainly found them all useful here -and have added some summer walking sandals to my wardrobe. Also use my waterproof 'cagool' on rainy days but haven't yet needed to use my waterproof trousers!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Wicksey wrote:I agree with the other posts entirely about layering and how cold the houses can be in the winter. It is not unusual for us to have 4 layers on in the house in mid-winter! We only live a short distance inland from the sea but it reached zero in February here and we had a little ice forming on standing water in the garden one night, so it does get chilly. It can also be very wet at times and we bought wet weather gear just to wear here when we first came to Spain as it was going through one if its 'monsoon' periods. If you live in the campo and need to go and dig yourself out on odd occasions, it's very handy to have a good kagool :)
The OH scoffed at me for wanting to bring our wellingtons when we moved to Spain, but we've been glad of them a few times when we've had to go out during one of the occasional (and not so occasional during the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11) torrential downpours.

You may not need to use any of these things very often, but if you've left them behind or thrown them out before moving from the UK, it's so annoying, so better to bring them on a "just in case" basis.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 pm

And I found wellingtons difficult to find.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:49 pm

Some warmer clothes are handy too for the days when you might be tempted to head inland where it is cooler than on the coast. I knitted my neighbour a woollen hat, I have had requests from other neighbours for a hat too (good for shoving in the pocket as the day warms up).

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:53 pm

your probably too young to remember the line in the song "she had nothing on but a smile"

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:16 pm

..and forms for winter :lol: fuel allowance !!!