40 degrees?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: 40 degrees?

Postby sujee » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:13 am

Yesterday, our thermometer recorded 42C as highest temperature. It certainly felt hot and to cap it all our pool has developed a leak, so far cause not found, so can't even have a dip to cool off. :thumbdown:

I noticed another orange warning for temperature today.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Karen, I would love to be back in the U.K. right now :( I've been managing quite well with just a fan on at night but last night was awful - got up twice to stand under a cool shower.

Might have to think again about air con which we had decided against, two reasons, 1 = cost and 2 = there's nowhere to put the whatjamacall it - condenser? Oh - and I can't find where to buy an evaporative cooling unit, maybe I should resurrect that thread for some help.

AEMET says it should cool down from Sunday, I do hope they're right! My family went home in the nick of time - their stay was actually really good, weather-wise, one evening on the terrace we even had jumpers on! In the day it was mainly around early 30s- that seems so cool!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:06 am

Looking on the website tutiempo.net for the temperatures here for next week and it says highs of 46 deg and lows of 27 deg :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Hope it is wrong!

Roll on winter if they are right!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 am

It looks pretty hot your way at the end of the week, particularly Friday. Looking at the proper forecast charts suggests it is definitely going over 40c, possibly to 45c.

Weather here this morning is very weird. Tremendous dew, overcast and misty 25c and 99% humidity - most unusual for July.

Sid

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 am

Could be usual in August though!
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:19 am

El Cid wrote:It looks pretty hot your way at the end of the week, particularly Friday. Looking at the proper forecast charts suggests it is definitely going over 40c, possibly to 45c.

Weather here this morning is very weird. Tremendous dew, overcast and misty 25c and 99% humidity - most unusual for July.

Sid
Maybe cos it is August?

The locals here inland say July is always hotter than August. I wish it would hurry up and get cooler! I suspect that one issue is that the buildings retain their heat more and so by the time we get to August as well as feeling worn down by it, the buildings inside are hotter.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:43 am

olive wrote: Maybe cos it is August?
Good heavens - how time flies! :oops:

From my records there isn't a lot in it. Looking at the mean temperature for the month August is more often hotter than July but the difference is about a tenth of a degree. What is noticeable is that the humidity in August is higher and hence it usually feels hotter than July.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 am

A quick Google has just revealed that Spain is in fact quite a hot country in summer.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:13 am

I've suspected that for some time DA good have it confirmed.

Mhic.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Are you taking the perspiration?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:12 pm

We will be having a few 'cool' days from tomorrow. a brief respite, thank goodness before it gets hot again towards the end of next week. Who would have thought I'd have seen temps of 30 - 32 as cool..........

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm

El Cid wrote:It looks pretty hot your way at the end of the week, particularly Friday. Looking at the proper forecast charts suggests it is definitely going over 40c, possibly to 45c.

Sid
My sister is visiting next week- she lives in the north of Scotland- how she will cope with the high temperatures I do not know!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:29 pm

oliveview01 wrote: My sister is visiting next week- she lives in the north of Scotland- how she will cope with the high temperatures I do not know!
You could spend the week in a supermarket - they are usually pretty cool!

Do you have aircon?

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:43 pm

El Cid wrote:
You could spend the week in a supermarket - they are usually pretty cool!

Do you have aircon?

Sid[/quote]
We have done that before Sid, out old house had no aircon or pool! Our bedroom and the livingroom has aircon, but the spare bedrooms don´t :thumbdown: Our son complained, I said you buy and pay for the electricity we will put in air con for visitors :thumbup:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:33 pm

oliveview01 wrote: We have done that before Sid, out old house had no aircon or pool! Our bedroom and the livingroom has aircon, but the spare bedrooms don´t :thumbdown: Our son complained, I said you buy and pay for the electricity we will put in air con for visitors :thumbup:
Do you allow them a fan? :)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:11 pm

The rooms all have a ceiling fan, and if needed they can have a floor fan- I am not that mean :thumbup: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:15 pm

oliveview01 wrote: [ Our son complained, I said you buy and pay for the electricity we will put in air con for visitors
That's my sort of parenting - too many let the tail wag the dog! :thumbup:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Roll on September i say when(fingers crossed it should be a bit cooler)!Irene,you can buy aircon units from Eroski,they work fine in our bedrooms and they are a bit cheaper to buy,though you do need to have someone to install them for you,after all nothing worse than not getting your sleep and you are living here now so you will have more hot summers to come.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi kexon- it's difficult to explain but the only exposed wall of our house is mainly over someone else's roof. We have one of those houses that is squished in with everyone else's. We did get a guy to have a look, a while ago, but he just did those sucking air in through his teeth and head shaking things..........couldn't wait to get away :thumbdown:

And I'm not sure if it's even legal to have the compressor on such an exposed wall in these 'white towns' ? I have seen a couple of houses with air con here, but the compressors aren't as 'in yer face' as ours would be, even if someone was prepared to somehow put scaffolding on the neighbour's roof to enable them to fix it to our wall. (that's assuming the neighbour would agree!) I didn't actually realise how big they were, the unit for inside is neat but the thing needed for outside isn't, great clunky thing.

Anyway - it's lots cooler here today, that haze, which I assume was to do with humidity, is nearly gone - it does feel a lot fresher. And I've taken to going to bed after a shower and without getting dry :thumbup: - feels nice with the fan blowing on me. I saw a child with a spray bottle at the pool a couple of days ago, he was spraying a fine mist at his friends. That is my next plan - then I can keep spraying water on myself when I get hot in the night. 'Resourceful' is my middle name :D :D :D

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 pm

I am just back home in Spain after a wonderful 20degs daily in the UK these last 5 weeks. One step off the plane, i almost decided to go back in and hide til it took off back to the UK again! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie