Am I reading this right?

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Am I reading this right?

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:47 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tment.html

As I'm on the point of getting the S1 form and registering with a doctor here, does this mean the new EHIC card which I thought I'd be getting for when I travel in the EU, will be no use, should I get ill when back in the U.K. for visits?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Am I reading this right?

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:54 pm

There's a bit more info. here - think it answers my question.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... urism.html

lizzie.w.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lizzie.w. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:03 pm

on the subject of being treated in the uk The year before last when staying with my daughter i had bad hip pain she took me to her doctor ,no problem she told him i was over from spain he was,nt bothered he examined me {can,t spell thouroughly you know what i mean) and gave me a prescription for pain killers ,then last christmas while staying with my son in a different town had a bit of a heart scare again could,nt have had better treament x rays bloodtests and if anything had been wrong they were going to keep in ,they was,nt a bit bothered that i lived in spain . The way they treated me was great the doctor sat and went through everything they were doing and i was ,nt allowed home for 6 hours until they did another blood test .it seems they can tell from that if your heart is under stress .,so i should,nt worry too much.
Lizzie.w.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm

IreneD wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tment.html

As I'm on the point of getting the S1 form and registering with a doctor here, does this mean the new EHIC card which I thought I'd be getting for when I travel in the EU, will be no use, should I get ill when back in the U.K. for visits?
If you are living in Spain and have been issued with an E121/S1 you can apply to the DWP for an EHIC that will be specially coded to allow you to receive treatment in the UK under the EHIC rules.

If you previously applied for an EHIC when still resident in the UK that will no longer be valid for use and should be returned or destroyed and of course it wouldn't have been usable in the UK anyway.

Although it may seem odd to have two cards from the UK only one will recognise you as a non UK resident and as such it can be used in the UK. In the past you applied for a Spanish EHIC but that changed about a year ago.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks, Lizzie - I'm pleased you had no hassle getting treated for your problems when you were with your family, I hope not to test that out but you never know!

Thanks Sid - I wasn't too sure where I'd apply for the new EHIC card, so thanks for clarifying that :thumbup: We are going back for a week soon, I need to get my marriage certificate then I think we'll have everything we need.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:56 pm

I wouldn't worry,anyone can come to the UK,have triplets ,a double heartbypass,a gastric band fitted,
breast enlargement/reduction if you don't like it,have your Siamese twins seperated and be given a council house before flying back and claiming benefits in a foreign country.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:10 pm

That's a bit uncalled for Nimrod :thumbdown: Is the heat making you cranky?

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:18 pm

It might be a bit tongue in cheek, but I've been in Doctors surgeries all over the uk and no one has ever queried a right to treatment.
It's even happened in the Republic of Ireland and they've given me a free prescription without showing any card!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Wow! I was thinking maybe Lizzie being treated was unusual! Well, I don't know what to say, really...........I'm sure if - heaven forbid - I did get ill when back on visits, all I'd be bothered about would be my own state of health, but looking at the bigger picture, you're right, of course.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Nimrod wrote:I wouldn't worry,anyone can come to the UK,have triplets ,a double heartbypass,a gastric band fitted,
breast enlargement/reduction if you don't like it,have your Siamese twins seperated and be given a council house before flying back and claiming benefits in a foreign country.
Not true...if you are a white British pensioner :wink: :lol:

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 am

Katy, adding smilies doesn't make your racist comment acceptable.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:07 am

Still waiting for my EHIC one year on from applying.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:59 am

campocaro1 wrote:Katy, adding smilies doesn't make your racist comment acceptable.
Racist....just WTF are you on about :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:23 am

katy wrote:
campocaro1 wrote:Katy, adding smilies doesn't make your racist comment acceptable.
Racist....just WTF are you on about :crazy:

OK - let's go no further on this.

As far as I am concerned it was not a racist remark.

Let's leave it at that please.

Sid