Daffodil bulbs

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
LizFox
Tourist

Daffodil bulbs

Postby LizFox » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Bulbs seem really expensive here. Do you have to pay 50p each in the UK?

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Daffodil bulbs

Postby Martin Page » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

You certainly dont - you can get 12 bulbs in the pound shop for a pound and named varieties at that .

But - I can save you money on daffodil bulbs ! if you want them for the garden .... Dont Buy them !

They can not stand the hot summers and they dry out. Those that do make it come up blind and dont flower. Your only wasting your money.
Bulbs in Spain, Daffs, crocus, tulips etc - are one year wonders and then little to nothing .

Just like rhubarb

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Any good in pots if stored in the right place?
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Martin Page wrote: They can not stand the hot summers and they dry out. Those that do make it come up blind and dont flower.
No problem in our garden. We planted a huge bagful of Daffodils and Narcissi (bought in the UK) and they come up every year and there are more each time.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:30 pm

I grow freesia in pots every year, after the flowers have died off we lift the bulbs, clean them off, wrap them in newspaper and store them in a cool(ish) dark place. Plant them again about this time of year and they always flower abundantly and provide a good source of cut flowers for the house. We bought the bulbs at a local garden centre, they weren't expensive.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm almost ashamed to say, that a packet of Freesia bulbs, given as a present some five years ago, have thrived and multiplied despite my absences and neglect. They are planted under a standard Hibiscus on the terrace surrounded by crazy paving. All I do is deadhead them when I visit. I'm always surprised to see how well Amaryllis bulbs do in my neighbours garden, I keep meaning to try some ... maybe I'll bring some out with me next week :)
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:37 pm

In addition to the daffs etc we also have freesias growing without any attention - they just come up every year and seem to multiply happily. Amaryllis are very successful and tulips do well also.

Perhaps its because they are irrigated like everything else all year round (unless it's raining).

sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:27 pm

When we moved here our garden had freesias everywhere, they were lovely, until the hens arrived. We have managed to save some from the hens and they are coming up well. We planted daffodil bulbs too, we bought a big bag from Morrisons in Gib, they have come up every year.
In the UK I bought freesias from Poundstretcher (I think it was there) they flowered really well. The next year I planted up freesias that I had I bought at Wisley, they were ´RHS´ bulbs and I did not get one flower, and they were expensive too :thumbdown: