Winter Trip-suggestions and advice please.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pattiw
Tourist

Winter Trip-suggestions and advice please.

Postby Pattiw » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 am

I have had a lovely welcome to this forum and some very helpful answers to a previous question.

We are hoping to explore the area, mostly after Jan 5 as we are spending a couple of weeks in Nerja over Xmas and NY. After that we will have about 5 - 6 weeks, maybe!! We have booked a one way flight so we can be flexible about return dates.

We have already got some places on our list to visit - Sevilla, Ronda, Antequera, Cordoba, Granada. As my husband has not long finished chemotherapy and gets quite tired we also need to build in some restful places. We are probably mostly going to be using public transport but may hire a car for a couple of weeks too.

If anyone has any suggestions of other 'must see destinations', I'd be very grateful. Of course, we realise that the weather will be a deciding factor too but as we live in one of the wettest parts of the UK - Cornwall - we are used to working round that.

We are really looking forward to this trip especially after such a difficult summer. Medics agree it will be a good thing to do. We have already stayed in Sevilla, Tarifa and Nerja on previous visits and promised ourselves a longer trip to explore. We are hoping for warmer weather than the UK but realise that can't be guaranteed.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to any advice or suggestion anyone may have :)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Winter Trip-suggestions and advice please.

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Pattiw wrote:....As my husband has not long finished chemotherapy and gets quite tired we also need to build in some restful places..... :)
You've probably already taken care of this, but don't forget the travel insurance ! Hubby probably won't be covered for cancer if he's only just finished his chemo, but you can have that condition excluded and just be covered for everything else(such as an accident etc). As long as you have your EHIC cards you should be OK if anything cancer related crops up :thumbup:

Been there, done that :D :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Pattiw wrote:I have had a lovely welcome to this forum and some very helpful answers to a previous question.

We are hoping to explore the area, mostly after Jan 5 as we are spending a couple of weeks in Nerja over Xmas and NY. After that we will have about 5 - 6 weeks, maybe!! We have booked a one way flight so we can be flexible about return dates.

We have already got some places on our list to visit - Sevilla, Ronda, Antequera, Cordoba, Granada. As my husband has not long finished chemotherapy and gets quite tired we also need to build in some restful places. We are probably mostly going to be using public transport but may hire a car for a couple of weeks too.

If anyone has any suggestions of other 'must see destinations', I'd be very grateful. Of course, we realise that the weather will be a deciding factor too but as we live in one of the wettest parts of the UK - Cornwall - we are used to working round that.

We are really looking forward to this trip especially after such a difficult summer. Medics agree it will be a good thing to do. We have already stayed in Sevilla, Tarifa and Nerja on previous visits and promised ourselves a longer trip to explore. We are hoping for warmer weather than the UK but realise that can't be guaranteed.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to any advice or suggestion anyone may have :)
If you haven't been before, I think a few days spent visiting Jerez de la Frontera, El Puerto de Santa Maria and Cadiz would be enjoyable. My personal favourite of the 3 is Jerez, the show at the Real Escuela de Arte Ecuestre is wonderful and there are also the sherry bodegas to visit, plus lots of great architecture. If you drove to Jerez and based yourself there, El Puerto de Santa Maria is only a couple of stops away by train, and you can then continue on to Cadiz either on the same rail line or there is a ferry service across the bay between El Puerto de Santa Maria and Cadiz (if not too rough in January!). Jerez is mostly flat so not too tiring for walking about sightseeing.

If you plan to visit Granada, you could consider extending your trip to include Ubeda - I haven't managed to get there myself yet, but it is supposed to be a very historic and beautiful town.

Hope you both have a wonderful stay.

Pattiw
Tourist

Postby Pattiw » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:28 pm

chrissiehope wrote:
Pattiw wrote:....As my husband has not long finished chemotherapy and gets quite tired we also need to build in some restful places..... :)
You've probably already taken care of this, but don't forget the travel insurance ! Hubby probably won't be covered for cancer if he's only just finished his chemo, but you can have that condition excluded and just be covered for everything else(such as an accident etc). As long as you have your EHIC cards you should be OK if anything cancer related crops up :thumbup:

Been there, done that :D :thumbup:
Thank you very much for that. We haven't arranged insurance yet and have been shocked by the amount that insurance companies want even if treatment is finished and you are well and blood markers are fine etc. Can you recommend an insurance company that is not too extortionate? Thanks.

Pattiw
Tourist

Postby Pattiw » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Free at Last wrote: If you haven't been before, I think a few days spent visiting Jerez de la Frontera, El Puerto de Santa Maria and Cadiz would be enjoyable. My personal favourite of the 3 is Jerez, the show at the Real Escuela de Arte Ecuestre is wonderful and there are also the sherry bodegas to visit, plus lots of great architecture. If you drove to Jerez and based yourself there, El Puerto de Santa Maria is only a couple of stops away by train, and you can then continue on to Cadiz either on the same rail line or there is a ferry service across the bay between El Puerto de Santa Maria and Cadiz (if not too rough in January!). Jerez is mostly flat so not too tiring for walking about sightseeing.

If you plan to visit Granada, you could consider extending your trip to include Ubeda - I haven't managed to get there myself yet, but it is supposed to be a very historic and beautiful town.

Hope you both have a wonderful stay.
Thank you. So many useful and interesting suggestions. :)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:19 pm

At the moment we are using the travel insurance that comes with hubby's bank account, but in the past we've used Help the Aged (now AgeUK, and you don't have to be elderly :D ) & Travelbility (now Orbis, I think). I am a member of ?Which, and generally check their recommendations then get quotes from 2 or 3 of them. The main thing is to get them to exclude the cancer, otherwise the premium will be more than the cost of the holiday :lolno:
I wiil have a look at ?Which, and see who they are recommending :D

Edit:
I've had a look at ?Which, and they seem to habe changed the way they report on this :thumbdown: . Obviously which policy is best will depemd on your age etc, so I have copied the table into a word doc, and if you pm me with your email address, I will send it to you :thumbup:

The other thing I thought of - if I remember rightly, you are planning a fairly long trip - this will probably bump up the premium, as most companies have a time limit on a single trip (30 days? 60 days ?) tho some will extend this (for moremoney, of course :wink: )

Pattiw
Tourist

Postby Pattiw » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:18 pm

chrissiehope wrote:At the moment we are using the travel insurance that comes with hubby's bank account, but in the past we've used Help the Aged (now AgeUK, and you don't have to be elderly :D ) & Travelbility (now Orbis, I think). I am a member of ?Which, and generally check their recommendations then get quotes from 2 or 3 of them. The main thing is to get them to exclude the cancer, otherwise the premium will be more than the cost of the holiday :lolno:
I wiil have a look at ?Which, and see who they are recommending :D

Edit:
I've had a look at ?Which, and they seem to habe changed the way they report on this :thumbdown: . Obviously which policy is best will depemd on your age etc, so I have copied the table into a word doc, and if you pm me with your email address, I will send it to you :thumbup:

The other thing I thought of - if I remember rightly, you are planning a fairly long trip - this will probably bump up the premium, as most companies have a time limit on a single trip (30 days? 60 days ?) tho some will extend this (for moremoney, of course :wink: )
Thank you Chrissie. I've PM'd you but not sure if it's gone as it's showing in my out folder not sent. Will check again.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 am

Hi Patti,

Yes I got it & have emailed you - you should have it by now !!

Pattiw
Tourist

Postby Pattiw » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 am

chrissiehope wrote:Hi Patti,

Yes I got it & have emailed you - you should have it by now !!
Thank you Chrissie. I've received the email and replied :)

Navas
Tourist

Postby Navas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 am

Baeza/Ubeda - beautiful Renaissance architecture. Lovely towns :-)

Pattiw
Tourist

Postby Pattiw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Thank you

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Navas wrote:Baeza/Ubeda - beautiful Renaissance architecture. Lovely towns :-)
Agree. Years ago when we first stayed in Baeza, I couldn't get over all the Guardia Civil there, seemed weird for such a sleepy place. Turns out there is a Guardia Civil training school there. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Pattiw
Tourist

Postby Pattiw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Does that mean low crime or always looking over your shoulder? ;)

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I second Puerto de Ste Maria and Cadiz. Sanlucar is a lovely place near there too-we stayed at a little hotel right on the square -fab seafood places and a short stroll down to the beach.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I second Puerto de Ste Maria and Cadiz. Sanlucar is a lovely place near there too-we stayed at a little hotel right on the square -fab seafood places and a short stroll down to the beach.