Renewing non resident NIE help please

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
barry
Resident

Re: Renewing non resident NIE help please

Postby barry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 pm

por,gus-l and cid I must say I live in a different world. OK not all public servants jump to attention in my presence but then in a former life in a different land I don't remember life being that different when dealing with these problems, I could recount several cases with the tax office and dvla as examples.

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm

phil16c wrote:I've looked at old posts on this subject and found no clear answers so............I'll try afresh.

I have a non resident NIE dated from May 2009 and have used this for any admin purposes up until a few weeks ago when I went to register with my local health centre. They pointed out that my NIE was out of date and that I would need to renew it in order to get a medical number from them.

So, today I went to the police office in Velez Malaga (where original is from) didn't get beyond the person at the door who gives out the tickets as I was too late but I did check with him I had all I needed for a return visit. He informed me that my NIE was valid until May 2014 - 5 years.

As usual in these situations, who do you believe??? :?
The medical centre won't issue a medical number until I renew NIE, police say it doesn't need renewed.

I have searched online for the answer to this with no joy.
Any one else renewed their's recently or have any relevant info?
This thread seems to have gone off topic a bit. So to get back on topic here is my 2p's worth which I hope is of some help to the OP.

I am a non-resident with an NIE number that was first issued in 2007. As I understand it this has to be "renewed" (the number stays the same) every 2 years and my bank charges me €15 every 2 years to do this on my behalf. I have been with 2 banks (Unicaja and Cajamar) and both of them were the same in this respect. Maybe you should check with your bank.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi stoker,
Some confusion here possible............. :?:

"As I understand it this has to be "renewed" (the number stays the same) every 2 years and my bank charges me €15 every 2 years to do this on my behalf"

That is just the non-resident Bank account registration..............nothing to to do with NIE
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 pm

As had been stated many, many times on this forum and elsewhere, NIEs are never renewed and issued for life just like your NI number in the UK.

Sid

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi stoker,
Some confusion here possible............. :?:

"As I understand it this has to be "renewed" (the number stays the same) every 2 years and my bank charges me €15 every 2 years to do this on my behalf"

That is just the non-resident Bank account registration..............nothing to to do with NIE
I understand now!! Thanks Enrique

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 pm

A client applied for his NIE in Marbella about 6 weeks ago, when it arrived it stated on the bottom that it was only valid for three months from date of issue. It also stated that If they were required to produce it after that date that have to go the Policia Nacional and get a newly dated copy. I was not aware of this until I saw the actual NIE in question. It said the same for both him and his wife NIE!

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!