Are you thinking of selling up !

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are you thinking of selling up !

Postby gerryh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:27 pm

El Cid wrote:
Yes it based on the current Catastral value.
Sid
I'm sure I should know but where/how do I find the catastral value of my property?

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi Gerry,
On your IBI bill............. :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 am

Where do you find the catastral value of a house you may be considering purchasing?
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

Living in the UK is a dreadful ,dreary for even the positive thinkers among us
Ugly buildings, bad weather, bad hair and atrocious dress sense,millions soon to be on the dole
I know this is a rewind...BUT...sorry...I couldn't let this totsally crass remark pass! :twisted:
I have no idea where the poster was talking about but to utter such a swingeing generalisation about the UK is an absolute insult and applies to a tiny, tiny number of people/places.
Living in the UK CAN be (and for me, is) perfectly fine. I live in a lovely rural area (by choice); property offers excellent value for money (and is a security, not a millstone :crazy: ); people are friendly and largely polite; the health service -- FREE -- is excellent, and I know categorically that no matter what happens, I won't starve. OK the weather is *beep* but IMHO that is a small price to pay for stability, support, an excellent standard of living and the freedom from worry about what cuckoo notion the Spanish 'government' is going to dream up next.
I learned a lot from my time in Spain.....it certainly wasn't all bad -- but it wasn't all good either, and I think this applies to ANYWHERE! I do however miss some of my friends, as other posters have also said, but that's hardly insurmountable, given cheap fares and ease of travel!

I would also like to add that I totally agree with those who say rent first (in Spain) before buying!!! That was my main mistake -- I bought almost straightaway.....and then spent 6 years trying to sell!!! What suits one person won't suit another, but at the risk of sounding like Pollyanna, I genuinely believe we should try and make the best of whatever is dealt....constantly knocking your own and other people's circumstances won't get anyone anywhere and just makes for a miserable existence!!
Rant over.
Salud! 8)
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:52 pm

I agree with the above poster, although I live in a Midlands city rather that a rural area.

Have you looked at English countryside? Scottish and Welsh is pretty good too. Have you seen ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire (a World heritage site) - beautiful scenery and celebrating the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution. Have you seen Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds? The chalky downs on the south cosat? The beautiful scenery both coastal and inland in Cumbria and northumbria? The Pennines? The Derbyshire Dales? The Lake District? Cities like Oxford, Bath, Stratford, Chester, Norwich, York?

Millions may be on the dole, but so they are in Spain, more as a percentage in fact, and at least in the UK you are looked after if you are on the dole.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Well said. Also (I forgot to say!!)....at least in UK, young people (largely) have a future...IF they choose to! Happy New Year everyone :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey you lot are off topic :wink: No posts about the UK please unless slagging it off :lol: :lol:

Yet another poll says that 45% of Brits in Spain want to sell. I thought it may have been higher :think:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:47 pm

I would have thought so too but hey ho. What do we know! :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Gerry,
On your IBI bill............. :?:
OOPS! I said I should know how to find it.
But when I posted that message I was away on holiday having consumed far too much of the festive spirit. :oops:
I'm now back home and sober.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:01 pm

well yes we are selling up....from the uk to spain....end of 2013, and i can't wait for a new
adventure to start

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am

Not 100% sure which I would choose if I had too, for investment it would be UK, no contest there, but if you have a partner/family and enough finances not to worry, Spain takes some beating on out door life style, kids in the pool etc and hopefully less time on computer games, and on the coast were our house is, there's no cinema, bowls etc a bus ride away, so not a lot to do that costs money , that's has to be a
bonus :)

I would sell my house if someone came along with the money, not sure hubby would be very pleased, but I would then rent long term after that, don't like paying the taxes and it costs a lot a lot more to move about in Spain, that must be why everyone in our village has been there for a life time Lol !

I think I would like to go to a more tourist area of the coast, now I want to be 21 again :) live as though I was on holiday a bit more, instead of home from home.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 am

My answer to the Post Topic is Yes, but along with so many others I am finding it impossible currently. I have loved all my time in Spain, bought the house because we loved it and lived here and worked here for 10 years.

But sadly, circumstances change and that can be personal, and not based on economic climate etc. My OH passed away in May 2011 and at the time I was unsure what I really wanted to do. So I tested the market by putting the house up for sale. I accepted an offer but was still quite unsure whether I was doing the right thing. The buyers pulled after several weeks and before actually commiting themselves to paying a deposit. So a couple of months wasted and then winter set in. I had closed my business when I thought I was moving to UK so winter seemed to drag on and on as the days were pretty empty. In the springtime more interested buyers beat the price down further and I decided to accept their offer. They came from UK to view three times asking numerous questions etc before disappearing completely and becoming uncontactable. A few more viewers came and went all expecting me to accept a ludicrous offer. The price I will accept is now just half of a bank valuation that we had in 2008, so certainly not overpriced. There is a small loan on the house that I need to keep paying too. There are similar properties nearby advertised for 100-150K more than mine. I know I will not manage to break-even but now I know I really want to move back to UK. After 18 months in a state of limbo I have made up my mind but I need to sell the house before I can do anything at all. Renting it out is not a good option as there is a glut of properties in the area and I will need to pay to keep the property in tip top condition and will still have the loan payments to make, so the outgoings will still be fairly high and I cannot forsee having enough left to enable me rent in the UK in the SE where I want to be to be close to my family. I know many people are in the similar positions, but now it seems to be generally noted in the UK press that prices of Spanish property will still fall another 30-50% so I expect any future prospective buyers will be expecting me to accept whatever they offer. The longer I am in this position the harder it is.
I have my fingers crossed for any change to help me move, but I will never forget the wonderful years I have had in Spain, and will always want to come back and visit. But now all I want is to sell up.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:39 am

Laslomas wrote:My answer to the Post Topic is Yes, but along with so many others I am finding it impossible currently. I have loved all my time in Spain, bought the house because we loved it and lived here and worked here for 10 years.
Sadly, I think your story reflects that of a lot of people, can't sell and will struggle to get back on the UK property ladder. We have people here telling us they never want to go back, I'm sure you didn't several years ago, but as in your case, circumstances change, the unexpected happens. People reckon properties are selling, and I'm sure some are, but for what price? I know Frigiliana very well, so know where you are, we have stayed many times at San Rafael, I'd have thought you wouldn't have a great problem selling, but it just shows how things are. I wish you luck, hopefully 2013 will turn out to be better for you.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:55 am

Well now ... we will have been here for 9 years come February. We bought the house in 1987 so we feel quite a part of the local community. Healthwise we are both fine so no problems as yet.

Having said that, we do fancy a move but in the current climate it would be madness to sell up. We did have the house on the market (not at a reduced price), but no takers. If we did move, it would not be back to the UK. The main reason I suppose is climate. Dreich and drab are the words that come to mind.

We are in the lucky position of having a property in the UK, so if we did decide to move back, we wouldn't have the problem of selling at a loss and finding ourselves unable to get back on the UK housing market.

As I mentioned before, we bought this house for around £35,000. Although we have upgraded it, we wouldn't lose money - assuming there are buyers out there.

Spain isn't for everyone. Neither is the UK. Whatever your plans are, have a happy and prosperous New Year. All the best.
Dave

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Spain isn't for everyone. Neither is the UK. Whatever your plans are, have a happy and prosperous New Year. All the best.
What a thoroughly sensible sentiment......I certainly echo it....and the best wishes! :)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Wicksey kindly mentioned that we should consider renting if we were considering moving to France, and that is of course very sound advice, Thank You.

There are really so many reasons why people would want to move from Spain, but mostly because of financial reasons I guess, personally we never really intended to stay forever, but 24 years on..we are still here.

It really is a difficult decision for us to decide what to do, I actually like Spain and UK and having visited France many times do fancy living there, however like I've mentioned previously, it is so different actually making a permanent home in a foreign country , I expect it to be very different from being just a 'visitor'.

During our time in Spain we have seen many expats leave, some after a short time, but most after their circumstances have changed, especially after losing a partner, difficult times, I'm sure.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but I have started numerous threads over the years about finding the 'Perfect Place' to live, but I'm still looking, so for the moment I think we will stay put, better the Devil we know ...me-thinks.
Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Wicksey kindly mentioned that we should consider renting if we were considering moving to France, and that is of course very sound advice, Thank You.
Gordon
We rented in France to start and quickly realised that we preferred another area further south, so that did pay off. However we did buy our farmhouse there purely as an investment to do up and sell on - it was never meant to be our 'forever home'. We were surprised how much we missed Spain and one of the big problems was that we were about equidistance between the Med and Atlantic, and we so missed being close to the sea.

Much of inland France is very rural and we always seemed to be travelling miles every time we needed to go to the DIY stores etc. There was very little going on in the area and if it wasn't for the fact we were working full-time on the house, I think we would have been quite bored. It was certainly an experience that I wouldn't have missed and we were lucky to have bought and sold easily within a couple of years. Perhaps we would have lasted longer if we had gone to a different area, such as the Charente on the western coast. If we didn't have commitments here I would certainly like to go back for an extended holiday as the countryside is very pretty, and I do miss our big old house we had, but it has proved to us that our home is here (for the moment anyway).

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I think this thread demonstrates that one size doesn't fit all. Some are happy and don't want to sell. Some would like to sell but won't drop the price. (I know someone who has withdrawn their house from sale until things pick up) Others are desperate to sell and some have locked and left (like one couple we know, he had a stroke and is now in a wheelchair. There was 18 steps to their villa, I counted them when I carried 3 bags of shopping up them!) All their money was in that home, valued previously around 850,000. Must be a bit of a shock to have to rent and live in a modest place after working all their lives.

Some friends bought a holiday apartment in the early 90's,,,from a guy in a bar :lolno: Cost about 24,000. Built in those days when they built a bit of character and style. Unique that it has a largish garden and has the appearance of a small villa. They tired of it when they retired and have been travelling all over the world. 3 years ago they put it on sale for 250'000, now reduced to 175,000. They say they don't intend to reduce any lower. :|

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Footprint wrote:Where do you find the catastral value of a house you may be considering purchasing?
Footprint, I'm sure I remember Beachcomber doing some sort of reverse formula for this on the 210 thread.

I'm trying to find it but it is a long thread!

Perhaps it is if you know the IBI cost, then you can work out the catastral.

There again, I might have got that wrong. :roll:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:27 pm

You -- or/and your lawyer -- should be able to get (and in fact I think it's part of the procedure) the last year's receipted IBI bills for any property you are considering purchasing. They will have the catastral reference number on them, then it's a simple matter to look it up online where it will show the catastral value...... Be prepared tho, there will probably be a considerable difference between that and any 'value' you have been quoted -- or are being asked -- particularly if it's a rural property... :?