BBC & ITV on Intelsat

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Acen
Resident

BBC & ITV on Intelsat

Postby Acen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Does anyone know how to get the BBC channels and ITV channel that are being broadcasted via Intelsat 907.

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-i907.php

ive always know that UK channels are not exclusive to Astra, and assume this is someone rebroadcasting to europe.

its obviously encrypted however could be the perfect solution to the current lost of signal problems that is hangin over all our heads.

Also am i correct in thinking that the internet solutions that are being sold on the cost are basically youview that you get in the UK which are the Iplayer and on demand services from the main providers. have I miss understood it??

does anyone know of a rebroadcasting service operating in CDS and are they "gone tommorrow" companies???

cheers for the advice

acen

ps the OH is missing channel 5 already, is it worth getting a sky hd box just to get 5 HD???

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC & ITV on Intelsat

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm

You cannot access these channels as they are encrypted.

They are used as a feed for the BBC as backup if they lose their relays from local terrestrial transmitters.

Sid

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm

As Cid has pointed out they are encrypted but the current BISS key is , ahem , available on the internet. My own receiver will not cope with such a high sr in DVB-S2 so I cannot try them. I keep saying I'm going to get the full story on them from an ex-colleague who still works for Arqiva.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:48 pm

thanks for the info, i thought it was someone rebroadcasting and charging.

according to the website ITV is available as well, which is a bit confusing.

its still hard to believe that we (together) have all spent millions on sat equipment that will soon to be redundant.

i personally have sky boxes, humax freesats etc all will soon be redundant.

acen

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Nobody can be sure if that's the case yet. However, further investment will definately be needed to carry on viewing in your part of Spain.
When the time comes,I would suggest seeing what the Brit pubs do to continue viewing and follow their lead.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm

The BISS codes on the net did work since Feb this year.
But not anymore, as since December, they have changed and are not currently available.

It is the "bbc satbak" service - satelite back up for freeview.
It does not carry ALL channels, but a few...
Technomates worked fine with them.

youview gets its live channels from a tv aerial - ie freeview - ie uk only
youview gets its "non live" channels from a adsl connection - ie uk only unless you have it connetced to a UK VPN service.

other internet "IPTV" services, offer live TV, and are nothing to do wih youview.

"does anyone know of a rebroadcasting service operating in CDS and are they "gone tommorrow" companies???" - dont think there are any in your area - but you may expect them to migrate from Costa Blanca to your area to take advantage of the lack of signals from the new satellites...

"the OH is missing channel 5 already, is it worth getting a sky hd box just to get 5 HD???" - not really - a HD box for 1 channel...is it worth it...?? especially when no-one knows what C5HD reeption will be like when it too moves to its new satellite, or if / when it also goes free to air
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm

satandpcguy wrote: Technomates worked fine with them.
Not all Technomates. My 6800HD doesn't as it doesn't do such a high sr as I mentioned. Nor does it do the low one that is MUTV on 10E but that's another story. Didn't know the BISS key was changed last month but as it doesn't affect me here in the UK it's not a surprise.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Many thanks, every query has been covered.

(i think this forum has more tech experts than NASA) LOL

i do know however that the big rebroadcasters on the costa blanca where eventually closed down by the Guardia. In these hard times im sure that they will be chasing the fines even more!!

i cant see that there will be any good solutions for us but will not be surprised if HD (non BBC) channels remain on a pan euro beam ENCRYPTED with only a sky sub to get access. eg ITV2HD etc

maybe we should be looking at other euro providers for english channels, how much would a greek or portugese sub cost and how many english channels would it give you???

sky news and bbc world wide is available across euro, surely a greek subscrition would be cheap .

acen

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:18 pm

IIRC, there were 2 rebroadcasters in the alicante / torrevieja area, both fighting between them, and one basically got the other closed down via "unpaid taxs" and suposable for rebroadcasting subscription chanenls without proper payment..... but it restarted under another name...and they and the rest still do pay channels....
so there are still a few around: superbeam, torresat, ole, and where i am MDC.

why go for a greek or portuguese sub when you are in spain, and can go for canal+!
they, and all the other sat provides do basically the same channels.. general entertainment, kids, discovery, movies and sport. And their prirces are all generally the same.....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm

thanks

I assumed the greek was the cheapest because its used in some pubs in east london,.

i looked into digital + but its not very good and just as expensive as sky.

i dont think the english football has an second english language feed also.

thanks

a

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Greek Nova was popular as they were one of the ones that showed many of the 3pm saturday footie kickoffs.
But the pub landlady v fa case put paid to that, and now only one or 2 3pms are made available to european broadcasters. canal+ show one game live, and "pop in and out" of others when goals are scored.

no, most of the sports on canal+ do not have english language.
again, for premier league this was the fa stopping english commentary of other european broadcaster, as pubs were using them for 3pm kick offs! the pubs simply had the audio from a bbc radio stream instead!!

if it is footie you want, check out AD Sport - althought hey are in their last season of their contract, they has all premier league matches, live and in HD and in english. Can be received on an 80cm dish in south spain.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 am

Since the demise of C5 on Sky we have been watching it for free on the iPad through FilmOn. Excellent picture if a bit on the small side. Our Telefonica download speed is around 2Mbytes.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 am

masterob wrote:Since the demise of C5 on Sky we have been watching it for free on the iPad through FilmOn. Excellent picture if a bit on the small side. Our Telefonica download speed is around 2Mbytes.
Are you using a web page access or the Filmon iPad app?

If you had an Apple TV set top box you could beam the picture direct to the TV.

The app seems to give a better quality picture.

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 am

We are using the iPad App. It would be great to beam it to a TV but alas we don't have an Apple box. For the amount of C5 programmes we watch, looking at them via the iPad suffices.
When/if the rest of the UK programmes move then we will have to think again. Hopefully a bigger dish then the current 1.3m one will be the solution.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 am

If you have internet, you could buy a second generation apple tv off ebay and use xmbc or just try running now though your laptop and see what you think, I paid 80 pounds for mine from usa but had to buy a remote here as it didn't come with one. The download on to pc is simple now :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Media Markt had loads of them in stock 104 euros...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 pm

I paid 105 euros at media mart.
It isn't really necessary to buy a remote because there are apps that do the job.

Using telefonica's tele sevice and goal TV will give you the option of watching 3 o clock matches in English and costs around 20 euros per month

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:21 pm

You can get the latest third generation Apple TV for €112 from the Apple store inc free delivery.

If you have an iPad/iPod/iPhone it's an essential buy if you want to stream to your TV.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 pm

I am talking generation 2, you can't jailbreak the 3 yet :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 pm

For streaming movies and tv shows from apple products to the apple TV, try this. "mobilevids.org"