Passport renewal -alternatives

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Passport renewal -alternatives

Postby olive » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 pm

A group of us expats were talking about this. I renewed mine last year via Madrid, for a lot of money-180 euros from memory. To me that seemed the only choice when you live here.

However a lot of people live here but maintain links with the UK. British bank account, credit card with the account maybe linked to their parents address.

It was suggested that the cheapest way is to renew via your "UK address", perhaps whilst on your next visit. Are there any pitfalls with this? Do they for example check when you last flew in/out of the country when processing applications? I suspect not !

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Passport renewal -alternatives

Postby masterob » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:13 pm

It is perfectly legitimate to renew your passport in the UK even if you do not live there. I renewed mine while on a visit. The safest option in terms of getting the new one before you leave is to opt for the "Premium" service. You have to book a date and time beforehand, you then turn up, hand over the completed form, cash etc and they give you a time later in the day to collect the new one. I dropped mine in at 10.00am and the new one was ready at 4pm.

Details: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

P.S I should have mentioned that I did all of this at the London Office, I presume you can do likewise at a Regional Office.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:33 pm

The premium service is the equivalent of €160.

It seems a lot of hassle to save €20 every 10 years!

Sid

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

El Cid wrote:The premium service is the equivalent of €160.

Sid

I think it's the certainty that you know you're going to walk away with a passport before close of play.
I renewed mine via the premium service last year as I don't trust any importanf document in the postal system.Simple for me,20 minutes on the train to Waterloo,walk to the Passport office in Victoria,there's a Nicholson's pub opposite,nice drink and lunch,pick up passport at 2pm.Very civilised.No wondering where the passport is in the delivery system or even if it is in the system.
Sorted for the next 10 years.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 pm

One thing I would bring to your attention about the Uk Passport Office though.
They were vevy particular about the photograph.It has to be full on eyes centre.Any slight lean left or right and you get sent to get new photos at the inhouse photo machine.
I guess it's something to do with biometric recognition.
I watched their system for dealing with this.Unlike some countries where you have to start queueing all over again to get tickets to join yet another queue there is another line for unfortunates and the wait is minimal.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:53 pm

I renewed my passport in the UK when I was Spanish resident. As I was going to be there for a month or two I did it via the Post Office and payed the same rate as any other UK citizen. It came back ten days later.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:46 pm

el CID wrote

The premium service is the equivalent of €160.

Sid
A lot less hassle than having to sort out getting a Courier to deliver to a house in the Campo! Also, unless the Embassy have changed their requirements, renewals through Madrid require certification of the Application by a third party whereas in the UK there is no such requirement and why should there be for a renewal!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:25 pm

I live in the campo and have not had a problem. As for finding someone to countersign the application, almost anyone can do it and they never check it out.

I cannot believe that people will go to such lengths to save a few Euros once every 10 years.

The Madrid embassy system, in my experience, works like clockwork and is very quick even though it now is actually processed in the UK.

Sid

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 pm

I think if your passport is about to expire,and you can actually renew several months before it expires,then it might be worthwhile (convenience wise ) to renew on a trip to the UK.......especially if staying in London or one of the Passport Office cities.
I don't think anyone is going to fly to UK just for the sake of renewing.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

el cid wrote

I live in the campo and have not had a problem. As for finding someone to countersign the application, almost anyone can do it and they never check it out.

I cannot believe that people will go to such lengths to save a few Euros once every 10 years.

The Madrid embassy system, in my experience, works like clockwork and is very quick even though it now is actually processed in the UK.

Sid
Bully for you! I wish getting deliveries was that straightforward here! Given the ease and convenience of renewing in the UK I would happily pay extra. Each to their own I suppose.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:06 pm

What can be more convenient than putting your old passport in the post and getting it back a week later or am I missing something here?

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Suprised anyone living in Spain has managed to renew with an emergency appointment. Unknowingly I flew into the UK with an out of date passport, only spotted it whilst in the air. Called to make an appointment and gave my daughters address in London. After giving me a time they told me what I needed to bring, included 2 utility bills with my name and address on.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 pm

It's an easy process in London.
Get there 5-10 mins before the appointment time(any earlier and they ask you to wait) and if all your paperwork and photos are in order you're out in no time.
Go up the pub have lunch and Bob's your uncle...go back and pick the passport up straightaway.
If you've got 100per cent faith in the Spanish postal system or whatever system they use then great.
If expiry coincides with a trip to the Uk I'd say go to a Passport Office if conveniently near.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 am

Nimrod wrote: If expiry coincides with a trip to the Uk I'd say go to a Passport Office if conveniently near.
That is the big if.
Otherwise use the system here, worked OK for me and my wife on both occasions.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 am

El Cid wrote;
What can be more convenient than putting your old passport in the post and getting it back a week later or am I missing something here?
How about popping into the Passport Office while on a visit to Central London to meet friends for lunch, handing over the documentation and payment and collecting the new passport later the same day?
If you don't visit London (or another city with a Passport Issuing Centre) then yes it isn't a convenient option so I guess you have to rely on the Spanish Postal system and being without your Passport for a period of time. Isn't it a legal requirement in Spain to carry your passport as your official form of ID? Presumably you stay indoors for the 10 days it takes to get the replacement one! :shock:
Anyway, the OP was merely asking about Passport renewal in the UK so I'm rather perplexed why you seem determined to be so dismissive of that option. What suits you need not be the only option, each to their own!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 am

masterob wrote: Isn't it a legal requirement in Spain to carry your passport as your official form of ID?
No, it is not a legal requirement to carry your passport.

If you are asked to identify yourself then a passport is the only officially accepted form of national ID but a certified copy is normally acceptable.

Incidentally, next year everyone will have to apply direct to the UK for passport renewals, either by post or in person. The application via the Embassy will cease.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Does that mean if we have to go via the UK it will be the same cost as doing it in the UK? I bet it doesn´t :thumbdown: I am waiting for my new passport to come back, it is due either today or tomorrow- my old one arrived back and it said my new one would arrive in the next 5 days, which is today or tomorrow, I can´t remember which day it arrived last week :lol:
My biggest problem was getting a photo- the first shop my photo was dreadful, the cream background was more dark beige and my skin was yellow and I looked terrible, no way was I keeping that for the next 10 years. I went to another shop and the photo came out nice, I looked far younger, so I was happy (I think it was airbrushed :thumbup: :lolno: )

When hubby was in Scotland he needed to renew his passport, so we were told he needed a letter saying he was staying at his mothers address signed by her and a utility bill or bank statement from his mother- so he had all we were told he needed, did they look at it all? Nope!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Olive,you did well to change your photo, any deviation from their rules and they'd reject it leading to more delay.
I don't think Her Majesty cares how young or old you look though!

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 pm

We're getting our passports renewed whilst in the UK in February using the Premium Service (same day renewed passport, usually 4 hours), we're are only in the UK for 6 days so couldn't chance getting them back in time using the Fastrack (up to one week service).

For us it will be money well spent (peace of mind) every ten years. Imagine the hassle it would cause should your documents/passport be lost in transit.

Friends of ours had their passports renewed at Madrid las year, they live in the campo, the courier service left their returned passports at a petrol station 16km away, the couriers only told them this after they'd returned to their depot. They said the petrol attendant signed for them, our friends were livid as they had paid for a door to door service.

As some of the posters mentioned you need total faith in the Spanish postal/courier service.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Just returned from the UK where we renewed our passports using the 'Premium Service' (passport collected 4 hours after the interview and payment) everything went swimmingly. The only grievance being charged £6 for a set of portrait photos with and without spectacles, £24 in total (my wife and I both wear specs). In the past our passports mugshots have always included specs, however, this time at the interview we were told photographs must be without specs or they'd be rejected. :o

Our Passport Application Forms were picked up from a PO in the UK beforehand. :thumbup:

Having read the T&Cs booklet supplied with the passport app forms I cant honestly remember reading anything stating mugshots should be minus spectacles. The relevant section in the T&Cs states that if you do wear spectacles they'd only be rejected if there was glare on the lenses. :?

So if you fancy a day out at any of the UK Passport Issuing Offices - Liverpool, London, Peterborough, Glasgow, Newport, Belfast or Durham, then go for it :!:

I haven't looked into it, but would there be a 'One Day Service' offered by the British Consulate in Madrid :?: