Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm

As stated it isn't known what channels will, or may, go to the European beam. However, assuming some do, will a dish realignment be required to get the European beam?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:27 pm

In theory, no.
The new satellites, and their uk and european beams are all in the same location as the old satellites, so no realignment should be required.

However, it may be that a very small "nudge" may be required to get best signal from the weakest frequencies once all has settled down - only something a pro meter with spectrum analyser can see. This is becuase the Astra satellites are in a "box" 100kms x 100kms x100kms, and it all depends where in this box the weakest frequencies are....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:24 am

I pay a subscription for sky tv, at first when I heard that we might lose bbc itv etc with the new satelite, I started to panic but after the c**** , repeats etc on tv this xmas I have started asking myself why I am wasting my money on sky. My friend as cannel 4 and pays 30 euros a month, in the last couple of months she has watched warhorse the kings speech, the iron lady, and other films without having to pay extra, yes I will miss emmerdale and coronation st and some of the cooking programs and documentaries on bbc, but I am sure I will survive. One good thing this past week is that my thumb as had a lot of exercise working the remote, and have educated myself by watching quite a few discovery programs. Happy new year to everyone. :)
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Like most people we lost Channel 5 and its sister channels several weeks ago.

We are now loosing BBC1 and 2 +lus Channel 4 several times a day.

Can any of you technoexperts advise whether this may be due to the satellite change or to a different cause entirely.

Thank you for any advise.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm

With the winds we have had for the last few days, I would suspect that your dish has moved a bit - it only needs to shift a very few millimetres to not be pointed exactly on the satellite.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
Mowser wrote:I don't have UKTV. I do have a small 40cm dish pointing at Astra 19.2ºE. This gives me BBC World, SKY news international, various news channels in English and a multitude of channels from Germany, Netherlands, Poland etc.

If these countries can put their channels on a free to view sat, why can't the UK?
Come on be fair to the poor old UK,do the Dutch,Germans and Pole expats get 200 smackers whisked over to them to keep warm in winter?

Some people want everything :D
Mowser has a fair point. Maybe some company is missing a trick in selling on UK content, encrypted or by possibly taking a share of advertising revenue. I am sure most folk would pay a modest amount to receive their daily dose be it soap or documentary.

I presume the £200 comment was tongue in cheek. Even with the £200 it still means that The Uk state pension is the lowest in Europe. Not bad for a top ten world economy.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Could someone down there check Sky News please. Reports elsewhere the beam has changed on it.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Still getting Sky News on Freesat. Don't know about on the Sky box so can't check the red button.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks Peter - will ask someone to check the alignment. Picture perfect on BBC Wales plus some (not all) of the other regional channels but none on BBC North West which is our channel of choice.

pmb - we still get sky News with no problems.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm

BBC 1 NW as normal here, SKY News, not something I check on normally, seems a little weaker than usual, though still solid. Could be Time of day or wind (which is moderate).

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks all. Reports from Tenerife seem to think it has changed. Will feed that info back.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I have noticed today that the colour balance on some programmes seems to have shifted - BBC breakfast looked like the presenters had borrowed Dale Winton's sunbed, and Alan Titchmarsh followed them in!
Like most modern flat-screen tvs, one cannot change things like contrast, brightness and colour - only change the setting from a menu with Sport/Cinema/ and so on, 'Sport' giving the most natural skin tones at the moment.
I lost the Sky Box (freesat w/out card) at the weekend, and tried everything to get it to see a signal, including changing the LNB frequency. I cannot remember what the original for this was, so am stuck with 12.050 - whether this makes any difference I know not!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

It does appear that some of the SKy channels have indeed moved to their new satellite and beam.

How do we know - well some people in the extreme fringe areas - like the canaries - have reported loss of a selection of channels.

And some channels that in my area you needed a 2.4m dish for, are now coming in on an 80cm dish!

Channel affected include:
Channel 5HD
Dave HD
Watch HD
Gold
Comedy Central HD
Pick TV and +1
Sky News SD
Discovery HD
Sky Sports 3 HD
Sky Sports News HD
F1
Animal Planet HD
Nat Geo HD
Eden HD
Campo Steve wrote:Still getting Sky News on Freesat. Don't know about on the Sky box so can't check the red button.
If you get Sky News on a Freesat box, then you will get Sky News on a Sky box - they both use the same frequency for sky news!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:28 pm

satandpcguy wrote:It does appear that some of the SKy channels have indeed moved to their new satellite and beam.

!
So which satellite is that? I thought they were waiting for the summer launch.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:28 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I lost the Sky Box (freesat w/out card) at the weekend
You cannot get freesat on a sky box.
Freesat does not need a card.
A Sky box with no card gets the same chanens as a Freesat box.
peteroldracer wrote:and tried everything to get it to see a signal, including changing the LNB frequency. I cannot remember what the original for this was, so am stuck with 12.050 - whether this makes any difference I know not!
DO NOT CHange the LNB Settings:
They should always be
on
on
If you change these then the box will not work like it should.

If you mean the default transponder frequency, then the correct one is 11778 v 27.5 2/3.
This carrries the full 7 day sky guide information.
But if after a power cut, your box cannot receive this, then your box will not work as it cannot downlaod this data.
So you change the default transponder to another frequency.
You can use about 80 frequencies, they all do the same thing, as long as you know you can receive that frequency.
Eg 12207 v 27.5 2/3
12051 v 27.5 2/3 (still active and carrying thehalf dozen "Turner" channels.

If you box does not boot using either of those, then you may have another issue - dish moved, lnb issue, cabling issue, box issue.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm

El Cid wrote:
satandpcguy wrote:It does appear that some of the SKy channels have indeed moved to their new satellite and beam.

!
So which satellite is that? I thought they were waiting for the summer launch.

Sid
They have moved from 2A to 2F.
And maybe more from 2A or 2B will be moved to 2F....??

The Summer 2013 is the move of BBC (and presumably ITV C4s) from 1N to 2E.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:36 pm

2F is the new one which is difficult to get in SW Spain?

Does this mean that those Sky channels that you can now get on an 80cm dish on the Costa Blanca are going to be difficult to get in SW Spain since this move? Or are they on a pan European beam on 2F rather than the difficult UK spot beam?

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm still getting Sky News but weaker, it used to be 100/100 24/7 and the only channel in HEAVY rain. Now it is about 80/70 but obviously still perfectly watchable, if you must. (not my cup of tea !)

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm

2F is the one that was launched last year, whose UK beam - carrying Five, a few iTVs, c4hd and 4seven - is now harder to receive than before in SW Spain and Portugal.

However, it appears that these Sky channels have moved to 2F European beam, and so reception in Spain should be fine (hence why I can now get some of them on my 80cm dish whereas before they would fade out on the much larger dish!) ...it just that in the Canaries that people have been reporting problems in receivcing this beam...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

satandpcguy wrote:.it just that in the Canaries that people have been reporting problems in receivcing this beam...
I guess that as far as Sky are concerned, the Canaries are not in Europe!

From what you say it looks likely that Sky will continue to offer pan European reception when they move to their new satellites.

That will retain their expat revenue stream which I guess they will not want to lose, although officially they would not admit to that!

Sid