Car Hire

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
gus
Resident

Car Hire

Postby gus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm

I've just been looking at renting a car for 3 days in Malaga/Fuengirola later this month. I always pick a 3-day hire to ensure I get a full-full fuel policy.

Astonished to find, using doyouspain, that I can get a Ford Focus for little over 30 euros for the 3 days by picking up at Malaga airport yet the cost jumps to around 90 euros picking up in Fuengirola or Malaga Train station. It's well worth popping to the airport to collect and return!!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Hire

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Probably due to the fact there is more competition and more rented cars standing idle at Malaga airport.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi Gus,

Did you use Doyouspain,com in the end, if so how did you find them? We have family coming out in May and are looking for a reliable car hire company,

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I've got cars booked for next week (or so) via Doyouspain. 3 day hire for Ford Focus from 3rd Feb - 18.60 euros (Record) ; 3 day for ford focus 5th to 8th Feb (Goldcar 16.50 euros) and 3 days 8th to 11th Feb (Record) 18.40 euros.

(I know there is an overlap - it's complicated!!!)

In each case, the price you see is for the 3-day hire, fuel is on a full-full basis and I have my insurance4carhire to cover any excesses.

I'm happy to use Record or Goldcar even though they don't get the best of reputations - they've always been acceptable to me (although I do take photos of any damage before I collect / return the cars :thumbup:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm

We have used doyouspain a few times in the past year, been very happy. The first time we had Hertz after that it has been Record. Very happy with the price they gave us for 9 days car hire, I think it was 42€ from memory!! :thumbup:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm

It would be nice to get prices like these in the UK....even in the economic North, I can get nowhere near these quotes.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

I was more than happy with these prices, as you can imagine!!

I usually just book a car for 3 days for our arrival, to let us do any shopping for paint etc but this time I thought I'd book a car for our last 3 days as well................then I got an invite to Jerez for the F1 test from friends at Red Bull - smack bang in the middle of our brief visit. So, I take the first car back to the airport a day early and fit in a further hire for the middle 3 days. At these prices I can afford to discard the cost of 1 day's hire :lol:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Record and Goldcar are fine IF you arrive outside peak times and peak weeks. Otherwise you can waste 1 to 2 hours queuing.

Then when you get to the desk there is prolonged arguments over excess insurance. yes you can dangle insurance4carhire in front of them, but they will stilll be astonishingly rude and slow to process the booking.

I would add 40€ to any Record and Goldcar quote simply for the hassle factor. If still the cheapest i would probably, and grudgingly, use them.

Steamboats
Tourist

Postby Steamboats » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am

On a slightly different aspect of car hire, I'll be needing to hire at Malaga Airport in September but dropping off at La Linea 5 days later. My normal hire firm don't offer this. I've seen a few firms that do. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this sort of arrangement?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:17 am

Steamboats wrote:On a slightly different aspect of car hire, I'll be needing to hire at Malaga Airport in September but dropping off at La Linea 5 days later. My normal hire firm don't offer this. I've seen a few firms that do. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this sort of arrangement?
You could try Autos Aguirre, I think they used to, they certainly have bases at Gib, Málaga and La Linea.
Delivery / Collection
The car delivery and collection will be made everyday at Malaga or Gibraltar airport on a 24 hours service. It can be also made at La Linea, Malaga, Gibraltar and Sotogrande office. Office hours:
• Monday – Friday: 09.00h - 14.00h / 16.00h - 20.00h
• Saturday: 10.00h - 14.00h / 18.30h - 20.00h
• Sunday: 10.00h - 13.30h / 18.30h - 20.00h
Your car can be delivered to your accomodation, if you request so. Full address, date and time must be given when making the reservation. The charge for this service is 40 €.
http://www.autosaguirre.com/
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Steamboats
Tourist

Postby Steamboats » Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Frank.

That gives me about 3 firms now. I'll get shopping for quotes.

belindamc
Tourist

Postby belindamc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

Has anybody got up to date personal knowledge / recommendations
I have some friends coming over soon and they need a hire car preferably pick up from the airport (Malaga)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I needed a car for a friend for 8 days. Quoted and booked via DOYOUSPAIN 80 Euros. When you collect they want 6 euros a day extra insurance plus 75 euros for fuel. The 80 euros rises to over 200. What a con. Why cant they be more transparent about there fees. If you do not want extra insurance you can leave 400 euros on your credit card as a bond. I am sure they would find an excuse not to return all or some of that.
I hope they all go skint and I will continue to drive LEGALLY my UK plated car when I am here.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:53 pm

costakid wrote:I needed a car for a friend for 8 days. Quoted and booked via DOYOUSPAIN 80 Euros. When you collect they want 6 euros a day extra insurance plus 75 euros for fuel. The 80 euros rises to over 200. What a con. Why cant they be more transparent about there fees. If you do not want extra insurance you can leave 400 euros on your credit card as a bond. I am sure they would find an excuse not to return all or some of that.
I hope they all go skint and I will continue to drive LEGALLY my UK plated car when I am here.
Agree 100%, and when you find a good company, hang onto it! We came back last week, picked the car up as usual, quarter or half a tank, bring it back the same, none of this rip off petrol scams. Had my own insurance, no problem, no hard sell, although they do take the €400 as a bond. (And cancelled no problem) The price I was quoted was the price I paid. As we would be staying in a few white villages with narrow streets, little parking etc, I ordered a smallish car, but as usual they gave me a free upgrade to a Honda Civic. :? 10% off the price for regular customer, what's not to like? :lol: Why people ever bother with the like of DYS is beyond me, the rip offs and the queues with the likes of Carjet etc(are they still around?) finished me with them many years ago. I don't advertise the company as I want cars available when I want one! :D
Regards, Frank

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 pm

We use economycarhire and have had decent service so far.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:09 pm

frank wrote: I don't advertise the company as I want cars available when I want one! :D

I think you overestimate the number of people that read this forum. :lol: :lol:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Frank share it with us we won't tell anyone. And you may get a discount if we quote your name.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I'll maybe give you a clue.....H H

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Nimrod wrote:I'll maybe give you a clue.....H H
I'll give you another, it ain't HH!!!! :thumbdown: I guess that is Helle Hollis, nope, sorry.
Regards, Frank

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Just a guess Frank as you've praised them in the past and they offer a loyalty scheme.
Back to the drawing board.