Gentlemen, please get checked

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Gentlemen, please get checked

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm

PLEASE remember gentlemen to get checked for prostate cancer...... it is only a simple blood test. We have a close friend here who is being treated for the cancer. Us women get tested for all sorts of things so you men get sorted out too.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gentlemen, please get checked

Postby olive » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

20 euros at our local pharmacia. Diabetes 4euros, cholestrol 4 euros. One sample of blood put into three separate phials and labelled as you recover. Results back in a few days barring fiestas, holidays, national days, weekends, birthdays............

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:55 pm

There was an advert on the other day. Didn't know what it was for. I said to our lass and our teenager what are we doing watching blokes have a pee for. They were both in fits of laughter. But your right it's worth getting checked out. @ what age do they recommend for men. ????
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 pm

The blood test is preferable to the other type of test (re-arrange the words: bum, finger, up) - mind, some people pay good money for that sort of thing. :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 pm

I've been looking for a nurse to check if what I have been told is right - that my todger tastes of strawberries... :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 pm

oliveview01 wrote:PLEASE remember gentlemen to get checked for prostate cancer...... it is only a simple blood test. We have a close friend here who is being treated for the cancer. Us women get tested for all sorts of things so you men get sorted out too.
True but do take into account that the PSA test tends to throw up false positives and that can result in having invasive tests to determine whether you really have a problem and possibly unnecessary surgery.

That is why most doctors in the UK are reluctant to use the test. The alternative is a digital examination. That sounds very high tech but it is better described as a "finger up the bum" test. The problem with that is that most old men have an enlarged prostate but that doesn't necessarily mean cancer. In fact many men with prostate cancer die of other causes well before prostrate cancer will kill them - hence the UK attitude to the PSA test.

In Spain they will do a PSA test as a matter of course. You can get one done as part of a routine blood test at your local health centre for free.

I have had one every year since I came to Spain but you do need to understand the possible downsides.

Sid

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Perhaps you should marry a nurse, with Cameron's shenanigans it could be male or female! :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 pm

El Cid wrote: True but do take into account that the PSA test tends to throw up false positives and that can result in having invasive tests to determine whether you really have a problem and possibly unnecessary surgery.

Sid
I was told that the PSA test is just an indicator of a potential problem and further tests are needed.
The further tests were an ultrasound scan and a "finger up the bum"
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm

gerryh wrote: I was told that the PSA test is just an indicator of a potential problem and further tests are needed.
The further tests were an ultrasound scan and a "finger up the bum"
Cheers
Gerry
And possibly a biopsy.

I am not suggesting that you should not have the test, I do, but be aware of the consequences of a false positive.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 am

That was the only thing that flagged up on my blood test this year. Had gone from 3 ,last year ,to 4.54 on this test .Dr was on the point of referring me & then decided against it. As Sid says there are many things that can increase the reading, sex within 72 hours of test being one. :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am

gus-lopez wrote:...there are many things that can increase the reading, sex within 72 hours of test being one. :lolno:
That is true but cancer of the prostrate gland increases the reading.
Is it really worth ignoring it when some very simple tests will show whether or not you have an enlarged prostate gland?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:57 pm

I'll go next week. I went to a farmacia in Torre del Mar in November 2011 ... 3 euros. The reading was <3.
Apparently as long as it's less than 3, there's no need to panic. I've had the "other" test a few times. Not a particularly pleasant experience, but if it helps detect "something", it's a price worth paying.
Dave

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Our gp is female, attractive and has small hands!
It makes the visit almost pleasureable :angel: :oops:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm

My best man was a gynaecologist, who had very large hands with long, thick fingers. He reckoned that his patient's eyes lit up at the prospect of an internal....on the other hand, it is a fact that if a girl has small hands it does make anything being held look bigger! :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:25 pm

oliveview01 wrote:PLEASE remember gentlemen to get checked for prostate cancer...... it is only a simple blood test. We have a close friend here who is being treated for the cancer. Us women get tested for all sorts of things so you men get sorted out too.
There are lots of arguments for and against PSA tests, because they are notoriously unreliable.
More men die with prostate cancer than die of it.
My father had massive discomfort from tests after false positive PSA tests due to invasive tests causing infections.
In the end he died of previously undiagnosed bowel cancer, he never did have prostate cancer!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Can a PSA show a false negative?
Dave

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Mowser wrote:Can a PSA show a false negative?
Yes

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Pretty pointless going for a PSA then.
Dave

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

gerryh wrote:
gus-lopez wrote:...there are many things that can increase the reading, sex within 72 hours of test being one. :lolno:
That is true but cancer of the prostrate gland increases the reading.
Is it really worth ignoring it when some very simple tests will show whether or not you have an enlarged prostate gland?
Cheers
Gerry
I'm not ignoring it , the Doctor for whatever reason decided against more tests.
Yes & that is one of the reasons the U.S. didn't licence the tests for many, many years.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Yes but it is more likely to show a false positive.

However, in my opinion, it's still worth having combined with a DRE and a dose of common sense.

Sid