Occasional internet access

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Marina
Resident

Occasional internet access

Postby Marina » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm

My neighbours (Both in their 80's) were delighted to receive ipads for Christmas.Their grandchildren all clubbed together to buy them so that they could keep in touch with each other. They are finding it all very exciting and have joined Face Book and are making use of the numerous apps.

All is well in the UK, but having arrived here two days ago, they've discovered that they can't use the ipads because they haven't got the internet set up.

They come to Spain for a month or so about three times a year and need to have internet access. A single dongle isn't suitable as they both need to be able to use the internet at the same time.

Can anyone advise on the most economical way for them to do this?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Occasional internet access

Postby Julie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:45 am

Either go to the library or mcdonalds were its free or buy another dongle, not worth paying for adsl for a month a year, maybe a local bar, where we are the internet is free in the streets around the town :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:08 am

BB4S is brilliant as long as your neighbours property is in line of sight to a transmitter. You don't pay for months that you are in the U.K. providing you give sufficient notice.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks. I'll suggest BB4S. I doubt they'll be wanting to traipse off to bars every time they want to use it.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi

What is BB4S please, I would like to take a look at it, as a alternative, is it a dongle or a company ?

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 pm

It's a company. Broadband 4 Spain. They provide satellite internet.

We use them and have found them to be very good.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Julie,

http://www.broadband4spain.com/

I think AlisonB changed to them recently..........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks I will take a look, see if they cover all of Spain :)

Just took a look, but I can;t find if they cover all areas or just costa del sol, would you know ? Thanks.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 pm

BBS are a Wimax company. So unless you have line of site to one of their transmitters you will not get coverage.
Where you can get a signal it is very good.
Outside their smallish area of cover,forget it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Marina wrote:My neighbours (Both in their 80's) were delighted to receive ipads for Christmas.Their grandchildren all clubbed together to buy them so that they could keep in touch with each other. They are finding it all very exciting and have joined Face Book and are making use of the numerous apps.

All is well in the UK, but having arrived here two days ago, they've discovered that they can't use the ipads because they haven't got the internet set up.

They come to Spain for a month or so about three times a year and need to have internet access. A single dongle isn't suitable as they both need to be able to use the internet at the same time.

Can anyone advise on the most economical way for them to do this?
When we used to have a Vodafone dongle (with a wifi router) we could both use the internet simultaneously on our laptops, in fact up to 5 computers at once could be used. I think PAYG options are available, as when I had problems cancelling my contract with them after we changed to BB4S, they converted it to PAYG so we didn't get any more monthly bills.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks, I'll pass on the Vodafone info too.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm

The 3 providers, Vodafone, Movistar and Orange, will all supply a USB modem that allows access to the internet, via the 3g (mobile phone ) network and create a WiFi access point via a router as Free at Last mentioned.
However the important thing is which of the 3 providers give an acceptable signal where your neighbours live?
Where I live the Vodafone signal is quite good, the Orange one just acceptable and the Movistar one almost non existent.
The only way for your neighbours to find which one they need is be asking if any close neighbours have an acceptable signal or get friends with smartphones to come to their house to check the signal.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris