Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 pm

After reading the lengthy tomes about all of the problems that are happening in UK, I have to wonder if it is really a good idea for people to quit living in Spain to return to UK.?

Understandably if it is for genuine financial reasons then some will have no choice of course, however anyone with a reasonable income could be wiser to stay put...methinks...at least until the dust settles...
Whatever anyone says I am a firm believer that you can live well and cheaper in Spain, certainly there are many adjustments to make and it does take time to settle down, I've still got itchy feet, but that isn't anything to do with being unhappy in Spain..it's probably just a genetic defect. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire!

Postby katy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Returning to the UK was the best move we ever made..up to now. Can't see why anyone would leave Spain for financial reasons.......it's so cheap...isn't it :? :lol:

Hope this isn't going to turn into yet another *beep* contest :thumbdown:

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Some people could live in Shangri-La and would still be whingeing about the exchange rate and the Winter Fuel Allowance! I find it hard to take seriously when people in Spain gripe on about the Spanish and their ways.

Practically every Brit in Spain came here voluntarily - if they don't like it they should F*** O** somewhere else. IMHO.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:08 am

I have to wonder if it is really a good idea for people to quit living in Spain to return to UK.?

That would depend on the people and what they choose to do and where they choose to live and for what reasons. As you say the benefits are here for them if they decide to return, as they are for all Europeans except Romanians and Bulgarians they have to be self employed until the 1/1/20014.
There also friends family etc to be taken into consideration, I went to live in Spain in 1977 when it was not so easy to do, and never thought I would live in UK again, but now I have learnt to say : Never say never !

One man's meat is another man's poison.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 am

Sorry ! thought this had to do with horse meat.......

anyroads

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 am

As you say the benefits are here for them if they decide to return, as they are for all Europeans except Romanians and Bulgarians they have to be self employed until the 1/1/20014.

Wow, That is a long time! :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 am

Up to now we've not thought of going anywhere else, least of all back to the UK. If we were to 'move on' in the future (never say "never") it probably wouldn't be the UK. It might be Bulgaria as, given another ten months, it ought to be pretty empty. :lol:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:26 am

Chuncky, its my age :crazy:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 am

First of all can I say that I'm not interested in starting a debate about price differences or comparisons of where you get the biggest tapas etc.
What I'm saying is that I have come to the conclusion that at the moment I personally would not really benefit from moving back to UK, granted there are some things I miss, mainly family, but otherwise both my wife and I are enjoying our lives here.
I 'retired' almost two years ago, and to be honest that was the most challenging aspect for me after having worked for the best part of 50 years , it has taken me a good while to adjust.
But now I feel that I have plenty to keep me occupied and at least for the forseeable future we have no real desire to move, but as others say..'never say never'.

I really believe that anyone considering moving to Spain should 'go for it now', property prices are very good and there is so much information out there now to help ease the move.

This week another of my friends who moved back to the UK about 3 years ago have told me that they are returning to Spain. :thumbup:

I hope that you all have a great day...wherever you are. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 am

Can't see why anyone would leave Spain for financial reasons.......it's so cheap...isn't it

Hope this isn't going to turn into yet another *beep* contest
Trust you to get the first dig in.
Dave

alpujarran
Resident

Postby alpujarran » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 am

The only time I consider leaving Spain is when I'm bogged down in the admin - or the I.T. problems that go with it. Yesterday yet another printer went unserviceable - beyond economic repair :( . It makes me feel glad that I'm retired. I don't know how people who are working find the time for it :?

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 am

I wonder what I would find to do all day back in the UK. All my hobbies and favorite pursuits here in Spain are based either in the garden, on the beach, or in the hills, in other words, outside. With the weather as it is in the UK, I would be completely at a loose end, you can only visit a certain number of garden centers, museums etc, it would cost a fortune.
Hardworking resident !!

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 am

katy wrote:Can't see why anyone would leave Spain for financial reasons.......it's so cheap...isn't it :? :lol:
Absolutely spot on to move back to UK would cost us an extra £6000 a year in tax with absolutely no chance of claiming any benefits ( I do not consider my minimum State pension to be a benefit).

We can't afford to eat at home here a four course lunch costs between €6.95 and €10 we couldn't buy the ingredients, cook them run the dish washer and heat the house for €15 a day and it is good wholesome food and we are loosing weight which saves us weight watchers et al. We get lots of free vitamin "D" and the climate is good for our arthritis. So it's win win all round.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 am

When we decided enough was enough we looked, and thought about various locations. Naples, florida would have been our prefered one but obviously you can't just retire and do nothing in the USA :problem: We hated Panama, lingered at St. Kitts because of it's beauty, nice people and tax advantages. The bottom line is though thinking sensibly and practically for the future. We pay less tax than in Spain as we don't have gold plated civil service funded by the taxpayer pensions.

So warts an all we decided the UK was the safest. If I didn't read the papers I wouldn't know there were any immigrants :lol: Despite all it's failures the health service is excellent here and I am not worried I will turn up at the health centre to find out I have been whooshed out of the system when they move the goalposts. and if we want to move we have a choice, houses are selling well and going up in value.

Of course the weather is better on the CDS. This winter has been awful but then I remember some winters in Spain when it never stopped raining for months. If we didn't have pets we would be off to Florida for about 5 months in winter.

Mowser...I knew you would turn up, checking to see if I used a racist word :wave:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

fincalospinos wrote:I wonder what I would find to do all day back in the UK. All my hobbies and favorite pursuits here in Spain are based either in the garden, on the beach, or in the hills, in other words, outside. With the weather as it is in the UK, I would be completely at a loose end, you can only visit a certain number of garden centers, museums etc, it would cost a fortune.
Most museums are free and they have lots of interactive stuff for kids. One of my grouses actually. Thousands of foreigners visit eg.the National Gallery every day for free yet go to their countries and enterance is at least 10€.

We were never bored in Spain except during very hot weather, only so many hours you can spend around the pool before becoming bored. Can't say I have ever been bored in any country..it's a state of mind.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 am

No intention of going back to live in the UK. Having said that, we have a bolt-hole there for the summer.
It's good to go back once in a while to catch up with old friends, but we always feel we're coming home when we get back to Spain. Having said that, who knows what the future will bring? We're simply enjoying life here while we can.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 am

Mowser wrote:No intention of going back to live in the UK. Having said that, we have a bolt-hole there for the summer.
It's good to go back once in a while to catch up with old friends, but we always feel we're coming home when we get back to Spain. Having said that, who knows what the future will bring? We're simply enjoying life here while we can.
Yes we always felt the same...home is where your stuff is :D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 am

katy wrote:
Mowser wrote:No intention of going back to live in the UK. Having said that, we have a bolt-hole there for the summer.
Yes we always felt the same...home is where your stuff is :D
Agree with you both.....even though I'm told I know nothing about Spain and should not comment when I'm in my Spanish home :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm

off to Florida for about 5 months in winter.
No you wouldn't, mate. Longest possible stay in one holiday trip is 90 days, unless you're US citizen.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Please check things out before rushing in. We have a B2 visa and can stay for 6 months in 1 year. We bought a house to do it but after doing it once it wasn't practical. Nightmare taking 3 pets with us, and costly.