Pet almost killed by pack of dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
captmike

Pet almost killed by pack of dogs

Postby captmike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:24 pm

My pet dog, Tansy, was attacked today by a pack of dogs and although not yet dead, is at the veterinary hospital but not expected to survive the next few days. The pack of eight dogs in question is owned (if that's the right word) by my next door neighbour who keeps perhaps two or three of them for hunting but the rest for no obvious reason as they are too small. He only comes to his finca once or twice a week to feed them otherwise they live outside, with limited shelter and unrestrained. My neighbour's fence is in a bad state of repair and he has expressed his unwillingness to repair it. Having entered through my gate, the pack attacked my dog initially on our property but she then ran onto the public road to try to get away. I found her lying in the road some 50m from our gate where bloodstains show that she had been dragged.

Needless to say, Tansy is already sorely missed. I don't have words to describe how I feel as we were very close.

I have another dog whom I am anxious to protect from this pack. What can I do to have my neighbour deal properly which them? If I denounce him to the police my worry is that he might retaliate by poisoning my remaining dog, or worse.

Regards to all,

Mike

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pet almost killed by pack of dogs

Postby Julie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 pm

You must be devastated sorry to hear that has happened, there is a department that deals solely with animals in Spain, I can't remember what it called, but I am sure someone on here will know and tell you to whom you can report it, alternatively, you could just fix the fence, which is what I would do, but that's because I would go for the simplest option, our adjoining fields are never maintained by the adjoining land owner (UK) have been repairing them since they moved in there, but if we lost a animal it would cost us more, sadly some people are just irresponsible :(

I do hope your dog gets better.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Seprona are the people who deal with animals. You can contact them by dialling the GC on 062 and ask for Seprona. Alternatively make a denuncia with the GC.
This is now a dangerous situation as god forbid a child had been nearby or if they had turned on you!! Pack mentality is very strong no matter what breeds are involved. A denuncia would help to make him secure the perimeter and for you to claim your vet bills, which I know won't bring poor Tansy back but may stop this happening again.
As the responsible owner of a 'dangerous' dog, this sort of thing makes me so angry! I seem to be the only one who muzzles and walks on a lead yet people drag their kids out of the way and look at me as if I have a lion on a lead, yet my kids have been attacked by handbag dogs that are allowed to roam the streets.

So sorry this has happened and I hope that Tansy defies the odds and recovers.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm

How appalling! Fingers crossed for you poor dog.I'm in tears just reading about it.

captmike

Re: Pet killed by pack of dogs

Postby captmike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts and good wishes. Unfortunately Tansy died at the veterinary hospital this afternoon. The vet was so kind and understanding of our feelings when we went to pick up the body. Tansy was dearly loved by both my wife and me and we are extremely cut up by her death and the manner of her passing. Burial tomorrow.

Julie, unfortunately the fence involved is that between my neighbour's property and the road. Next door's dogs got out, came along the road, through our (open) gate and into our land. Our dogs ran away, out onto the road where they were caught by the pack. There are blood trails for several metres along the road.

I'm planning a visit to the GC tomorrow to see what can be done. I too was bitten during the rescue. However I am concerned about retaliation.

Thanks to all,

Mike

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh Mike I am so sorry. We have a little dog living with us now, he was attacked by some dogs at the refuge, it was a dreadful thing to witness. Thankfully our dog recovered. I would go and denounce your neighbour and make it clear to the police you are worried about poisoning. Does your neighbour know about the attack? I guess from now on your gate will be firmly shut.
You have my heartfelt sympathy.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes I agree, make it absolutely clear that you fear there may be reprisals. I would also mention that he only attends to the dogs to feed them twice per week as that is clearly neglect. I would also show photos of the state of your poor dog to the GC, and take photos your wounds (which he can also be denounced for as the dogs may now be classified as dangerous) and of his broken fence in case he has got wind of it and tries to fix it quickly.
So sorry to hear that Tansy died :cry:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Yes talk to Seprona. Dogs that attack other dogs or humans will normally be destroyed.

Sid

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 pm

So sorry. I can't imagine how devastated you must feel! Your neighbour deserves to be stung up. What a horrendous situation!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 am

I am so sorry that your dog died, I imagine you are really upset, I would also be worried about what the bloke might do if you report it, but thats how people get away with things, I would hope that you report it, but having said that, you have to live there, so do what you both feel is best for yourselves.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am

I'm just wondering how you could prove it was the neighbour's dogs that made the attack on your poor dog?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 am

Sad story and even sadder nothing that happens will bring your dog back. I would be worried about retaliation and certainly mention it if you report it. I know someone whose 2 dogs were poisoned after they complained about the neighbours barking dogs. One survived. They found pieces of raw meat thrown over the gate.

captmike

Postby captmike » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 pm

This morning we buried Tansy in a quiet spot in the garden near some eucalyptus trees. We'll plant some kind of special tree over our extra-special friend when we've decided what's suitable.

I went to the Guardia today and made (is that the right expression?) a denuncia. The police later came round and saw the neighbour, the owner of the offending dogs, presumably to find out his personal details and to let him know what's going on. On the advice of a friend we are also going to the town hall tomorrow as it's clear the Guardia won't be doing anything about the problem until it goes to court.

I'd like to share a picture of our beloved Tansy with you but I can't figure out how to do it. There doesn't seem to be an upload facility. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for your words of support.

Mike

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:20 pm

When I have down (or is it up) loaded a photo I have done it via photobucket.com.

Glad you went to the police, I hope the neighbour sorts things out and you do not get anymore bother.

captmike

Re: Pet killed by pack of dogs

Postby captmike » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks Oliveview.

Here she is:

Tansy 2004 - 2013 R,I.P.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Beautiful dog..........so sorry for your loss and the terrible circumstances. R.I.P. Tansy

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:18 pm

captmike wrote: I have another dog whom I am anxious to protect from this pack. What can I do to have my neighbour deal properly which them? If I denounce him to the police my worry is that he might retaliate by poisoning my remaining dog, or worse.

Regards to all,

Mike
I am sorry to hear of this dreadful occurrence. You have far more patience than me. Have you no one who could go & " have a word " with the owner of the pack ? Explain nicely what will happen if your other dog so much as catches a cold ? Just reading it makes me so angry I could come down & thrash the owner senseless myself.
Todos somos Lorca.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:42 pm

I must admit when I have heard others who have suffered in a similar way the offending dogs have quietly disappeared.

Had tears when I saw your photo - poor lass. Chin up.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.