Cheap acoustic guitar

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Cheap acoustic guitar

Postby IreneD » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Can anyone tell me where I might buy such a thing? In the Velez Malaga area or thereabouts. My daughter is learning to play and she is visiting for a week and if possible would like to keep up with her daily practising. 2nd hand would be fine, scruffy doesn't matter as long as it has a decent sound.

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Cheap acoustic guitar

Postby Trooperman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 pm

I do play a guitar and have several, but none for sale. I've just looked on Ebay.es and there appears to be several: http://tinyurl.com/c48ogyq will show you. They seem to be OK at first cursory glance.

In Ronda - my nearest large town - there is a music shop and my experience tells me, if this shop is a fair reflection, that Spain is quite cheap compared with the UK with some good quality stuff for sale, so the usual warning about buying "cheap" may not apply, but I'd be wary of the cheaper (so called) american guitars - those with steel strings - as "cheap" can bring problems later on with warping necks. Is it a Spanish or "American" steel string one you want?
nil illegitimum carborundum

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 pm

I have no idea! I know nothing about guitars, just trying to get hold of something that makes the right noise for my daughter to use while she's here. :) Thanks very much for your help, Trooperman, I'll have a look at e-bay but I've probably left it too late and I really would rather pick one up locally. You never know though, there might be one there that is being sold by someone in the area - off to take a look!

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

As a guitar player myself I would hate somebody else buying me an instrument, especially a cheap one. If at all possible it would be best to take your daughter to a music shop and she could then choose what 'suits' her. The 'feel' of the guitar is very important, if it is good it encourages the person to play it. If it is bad it has the opposite effect and, frankly, is a waste of money. That is not to say the guitar has to be expensive, it just has to be 'right'.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 am

I understand where you're coming from, but you must find out if it's a Spanish guitar that she wants/is learning on, or an American guitar. They are fundementally different - different styles of playing and a different "feel" to them, apart from the differences I've alluded to. Best wishes in your search. It's a pity I don't live in your neck of the woods. I'd enjoy the search on your behalf - a bit like shopping without spending money!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Have a look in the more upmarket Bazaar shops ... Especially if you have a 'chinese' run one

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Or try Cash Converters... the ones in Granada always seem to have several on sale..
There is one in Malaga if it is not too far for you..

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm

There is a 'Cash Generator' type second hand shop in Calle Cristo, Velez-Malaga which sometimes has musical instruments for sale - whether they have any guitars at present or what quality they are if so, I couldn't say. Calle Cristo runs between the Plaza de Las Carmelitas (where the Ayuntamiento is) down to the roundabout with the fountain in the middle, and the public library on the corner, where the road turns right to go down to Torre del Mar along Av. Vivar Tellez.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm

If you are on FaceBook you could try putting an ad on the Torre del Mar and Nerja buy swap sell group pages. Someone may have one they no longer want.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Guitars are quite often offered for sale in the Costa del Sol News.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Thank you!! Lots of ideas for me to try! I'll see if I can put a photo on of my DD playing her guitar, it might give the guitar players amongst you an idea of what she's used to. She has played at Glastonbury...........;)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Here she is at Glastonbury, the Pyramid stage, I think

and here's the guitar

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm

A Yamaha accoustic, they are nice guitars - shouldn't be difficult to find something similar.

What happened to the audience?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Ha ha! It was a 'fallow' year - she didn't drive the crowds away :wink: (permission to be there all above board of course)

Thanks CM, they arrive next week, so I've still got a few days. Not the end of the world if I don't get a guitar, she can go without playing for that short time, but I know she'd like to have one here.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I'd like to play more often but I'm having trouble with my G-string at present! :lol:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Cheeky Chunky Monkey :lol:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm

You then need what the Spaniards call "una guitarra americana" and, as chunky monkey alludes to, a cheap one ain't gonna be that good an idea! Sorry!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Hmmm - any idea what sort of price something halfway decent would cost, then Trooperman? DD has a birthday coming up, maybe I'll make it a birthday pressie, I was hoping to only spend about 30 euros but could go a bit higher if I make it a birthday pressie. If I'd need to go a lot higher, then I think I'll forget it. You guys have been very helpful, I do appreciate it

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Here's what's on Google UK at the moment: http://tinyurl.com/bv234nh . Looks like 150 GBP will get you a new one - slightly less for a second hand.

Unsurprisingly, Google ES only have Spanish guitars (with nylon strings)

This one's in Madrid http://tinyurl.com/btqqt8q but as it seems to be new, then I guess that's around the retail asking price.

The choice is yours (as they used to say on some TV show or other) but, believe me, they are different to "handle". Maybe your daughter would like to try a nylon stringed one. Anyway you could serruptitiously quiz her about it?

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Here's a music shop in Malaga that johnr mentioned in the Computers/Hifi speakers thread, they go from pretty expensive to pretty reasonable.

http://www.partituraonline.com/subcateg ... /pagina/4/