Improve wireless internet performance

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
USINSPAIN
Resident

Improve wireless internet performance

Postby USINSPAIN » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:05 am

My router from Direct Telecom is upstairs in my cupboard called my office with my PC, connection very good, my laptop Toshiba I use downstairs on a TP LINK TL-WN722N 159 mbps as long as I am in the lounge virtually looking at my upstairs room where my PC is I get quite a good connection but to go to another room downstairs or move in my lounge to another position no signal, what can I do to get a better signal.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Improve wireless internet performance

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 am

Gerry Harris

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 am

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 am

Haha, great minds think alike. Or something.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks for your information I dismissed the plug in boosters I was told that my house has two plug circuits one for downstairs and one for upstairs so if I plug something to boost the signal downstairs with it being on a different circuit it wont pick up the upstairs is this not right??.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:16 am

USINSPAIN wrote:Thanks for your information I dismissed the plug in boosters I was told that my house has two plug circuits one for downstairs and one for upstairs so if I plug something to boost the signal downstairs with it being on a different circuit it wont pick up the upstairs is this not right??.
The information you have been given is incorrect.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 am

I agree with Gerry; much as I dislike those 'HomePlug' mains booster units myself, they should work in your place. But you might want to try improving the wifi signal first.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

USINSPAIN wrote:Thanks for your information I dismissed the plug in boosters I was told that my house has two plug circuits one for downstairs and one for upstairs so if I plug something to boost the signal downstairs with it being on a different circuit it wont pick up the upstairs is this not right??.

There are two types of plug in boosters.

There is the "Home Plug" sytem which requires two or more units, one cabled to the modem and another plugged in somewhere else which generates a WiFi signal. These do work across phases.

However there is a newer device that looks like a homeplug in that it plugs into the mains socket. However the reason it plugs in is purely to power it. It receives the WiFi signal from the router and transmits a new one.

This is what I mean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA85 ... 84&sr=1-12

It is essentially the same as this device but without a separate power supply..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA83 ... 284&sr=1-3

Sid

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Indeed Sid, a WiFi repeater is a more 'elegant' solution IMO. In fact if the OP has an (additional) old wireless router laying around that they're not using any more, they might be able to press it into service, configured in 'repeater' mode, and not have to buy any new hardware at all. I'd also be tempted to fiddle around with a DIY WiFi antenna 'reflector' (see link on the other thread), as that might boost the signal strength enough in the required direction. You never know and if it doesn't work, you've only wasted a little time and some aluminium foil & cardboard (not cash).

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Thank you all for your input purchased TP-Link TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender from amazon arrived today easy to install lap top working well in every room.