Flamingos at Rio Benamargosa/Fuentes de Piedra

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Flamingos at Rio Benamargosa/Fuentes de Piedra

Postby probe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 pm

I've always wanted to see the flamingos. Has anyone got any tips or advice on where best to see them and exactly what time of the year. I can go early April or early June.

Cheers

Probe

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Flamingos at Rio Benamargosa/Fuentes de Piedra

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am

I'm sure others can be more definite, but a few years ago we went in early May and there were very few (can't remember if they'd been & gone or not arrived). I believe it can depend on weather conditions as to when they feel it's the right time to start breeding.
google it, or start here: http://www.andalucia.com/magazine/engli ... laguna.htm :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 am

I took a friend there in April last year and that was absolutely zilch to see - very disappointing.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 am

This is a local firm that organizes tours, so maybe you could check what's on. This is their facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/lagunadefuentedepiedra.
Don't forget your binoculars.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:38 pm

We went in May one year and there were hundreds. Went in September as well and got bitten to death by mossies down by the stagnent water

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Our friends were at F. De P a couple of weeks ago, no birds, the lady there told them it had been too cold for the birds so they were in Huelva instead.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Well we headed up there on Tuesday and had a great time. The visitor centre is really good and the lady there briefed us on this year. There has been too much rain this year and so the lake has 1.5m of water which is too deep for the flamingos to get to. Its also too cold as a consequence.

However, there are a few hardy flamingos there at the moment - about 25 and plenty of viewing spots. I was a little suspicious that they may be mechanised birds to keep the tourist trade up!!!

Nice video and display the visitor centre and plenty of other birds - recommend it.

Added to that found a really nice restaurant for lunch in the town - "Bar Restaurante Tejada", set in the square.

Cheers

Probe