Checked baggage

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Checked baggage

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am

I'll be up front and say that I have no problem flying Ryanair.

Two items in the press have caught my attention and make me wonder if other airlines are now admitting that Ryanair have got their business model right.

1. Easyjet are to close many of their checkin desks in an attempt to make passengers check in online. In other words, more bag drop desks but fewer checkin desks.
easyJet said it is unlikely to charge passengers and, for the near future at least, would ensure a limited check-in service at the airport is still available
Note they haven't fully ruled out charging in the future if you don't checkin online.

2. British Airways. This is a biggie. On four flights to Europe from Gatwick they give a discount if not checking in hold baggage. To me, that is the same as charging for checked in baggage but without saying so. This will be extended to all BA flights to Europe from Gatwick in the near future. Their web site seems to be highlighting the size and weight limits for cabin baggage so maybe they will be getting stricter checking that.

I have always maintained that ALL airlines charge for checked baggage but hide it in the ticket price. At least Ryanair are up front about charging for it.

So, is this some airlines admitting Ryanair got it right and are other airlines likely to follow suit?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

gus
Resident

Re: Checked baggage

Postby gus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 am

I'd agree with that :thumbup:

Hopefully the airlines will start to charge more for FAT people too!! (It costs more to carry all that lard)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 am

I noticed that with BA. Don't know if the option is on all their flights. Booked a short break to Nice and it worked well because we only need one bag for a few days. fares did seem cheaper than usual. Notice they are flying out of London airport more now, which is good for some.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am

katy wrote:I noticed that with BA. Don't know if the option is on all their flights. Booked a short break to Nice and it worked well because we only need one bag for a few days. fares did seem cheaper than usual. Notice they are flying out of London airport more now, which is good for some.
Which London airport? Have they gone back to Heathrow with the Malaga flight having moved it to Gatwick only a few years ago?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:57 am

You know my feelings about Ryanair; they have the perfect business model.

A bit off the subject but if you book a flight say, six months in advance you pay a high price. People booking up six months, or more, in advance have to fly. They may have booked a holiday or its an event or to suit school holidays. Then as the flight date gets nearer the prices come down, to fill the plane, then with four or so weeks of the flight the prices start to creep back up, and book within a week and your back at six months prices, again these are the people who have to fly. In my experience, the cheapest time to book a Ryanair flight is six weeks in advance and on a Tuesday!

I just booked a return flight to Liverpool for €40. No luggage, no priority booking. For the same days, EasyJet wanted €400.

I get extremely annoyed by those who claim they don't know what they are paying when they booked Ryanair, particulary with regard to luggage. As you said, Steve, they have alway laid it out clearly what you are going to pay for the extras. I must admit that their site is probably the simplest to use now of all the low cost carriers.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 pm

"I must admit that their site is probably the simplest to use now of all the low cost carriers"

And if you can put up with all the rubbish spoken on board, they are still the best value.

I am going to Shannon in May with Aer Lingus, but coming back with Ryanair (owing to the dictates of the family structure). The Ryanair flight back is less than £28, the Aer Lingus flight going out 3 times as much.

anyroads

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I have to agree that Ryanair has a good financial business model - I just do not accept that they (him?) have to treat their customers so rudely and arrogantly. It would be nice to see O'Leary's reaction on going to a restaurant to be rushed into a seat with no choice, offered the bare minimum to eat with extrtas such as vegetables and gravy as pay-for extras, and constantly badgered during his meal to buy lottery tickets and souvenirs.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Campo Steve wrote:
katy wrote:I noticed that with BA. Don't know if the option is on all their flights. Booked a short break to Nice and it worked well because we only need one bag for a few days. fares did seem cheaper than usual. Notice they are flying out of London airport more now, which is good for some.
Which London airport? Have they gone back to Heathrow with the Malaga flight having moved it to Gatwick only a few years ago?
Sorry Steve, I meant London City Airport. There are now flights to Málaga and Nice etc.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I have to agree that Ryanair has a good financial business model - I just do not accept that they (him?) have to treat their customers so rudely and arrogantly. It would be nice to see O'Leary's reaction on going to a restaurant to be rushed into a seat with no choice, offered the bare minimum to eat with extrtas such as vegetables and gravy as pay-for extras, and constantly badgered during his meal to buy lottery tickets and souvenirs.....
Has it not occurred to you how he keeps costs down so that we can all enjoy flights at next to nothing?

Your analogy is totally irrelevant.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Manners cost nothing
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.