Tooway KA

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Tooway KA

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Any recommendations for installers of a Tooway KA system who covers the Nerja to Malaga area?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tooway KA

Postby olive » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Do it yourself. Easy enough with the self install option..

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm aware I can do it myself, but it's nice to have some backup in case of problems.
Have you installed your own system?
If I do go down the DIY route then which supplier do you recommend?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

you have a pm :thumbup:

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 pm

my OH half does this- doing satellites here for 14 years-I understand where you are coming from regards back up if a problem! cover all Andalucia he was in Gallera the other day doing this although we are in Malaga-send me a pm if you want his webpage as im not sure if i can put it on here? this week prices have changed and equipment is now free :clap:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:10 pm

PM sent
Gerry Harris

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

Just picking up on this thread. Seriously considering moving over to Tooway. Currently using Telefonica's ADSL but it has been deteriorating over the last few months. The Tecnico comes out and it improves for a few days then back to download speeds of less than 1mb despite being signed up for up to 3mb. He says we are about on the limit of distance from the Exchange!

Any recommendations on Tooway please?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm having a Tooway system installed tomorrow.
Finally got fed up with the reception here on my USB modem.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Technobear
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Technobear » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

we installed about 2 months ago, and its great - transfer speeds are excellent, though latency is poor ( approx 800-1000ms )

we have friends who having been using for over a year, and they also think its good.

no need of an installer, its very easy to install - even an iphone app to help!
( assuming you can drill and mount the bracket :))

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Do you use it (Tooway) with a VOIP application or is the delay prohibitive ?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Many thanks for all your positive replies. I've pretty well decided to give it a go but, Technobear, pardon my ignorance but what does "latency is poor" mean? Does it have a detrimental effect on downloading from the Internet, streaming movies, watching the odd tv programme via VPN etc?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Hopefully Gerry will give us some real world usage , having streamed films, watched BBC over VPN, downloaded large files ie operating systems , have a report on our desks first thing Monday morning only to find he has used this months quota.......or not.......... 8)

Thanks Gerry................ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 am

We had a leaflet in our Correos mailbox yesterday from Tooway/Eurona/Correos. 20 Mg down and 6 Up.

10Gb 30euros a month, 20 Gb 40 euros a month and unlimited 70 euros a month.................

There were additional charges of 5 a month for equipment and 100 euros install spread over 1st 10 months.

20 Gb 40 euros a month compares well against 5Gb and 40 for 3g dongle at maybe 2Meg down at best!
I wonder how unlimited unlimited is? :lol:

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am

We too have had the correos leaflet. If we signed up for the satellite internet they are offering we could save money and also get benefit from unlimited download.

We have no line of sight antennae available in our area and are currently on the Hylas system which is reliable but we need more download per month and we cannot afford the unlimited deal they have.

We are loathe to change unless it is a proven system as we are dependent on it for work etc

Has anyone had experience of the satellite version of this Tooway/Eurona/Correos deal?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Since my previous post I took the plunge and have had Tooway satellite Internet installed. Very impressed with the speed - download 20 Mbs, upload 6Mbs compared to Telefonica ADSL upload of barely 1Mbs. Not cheap but so far has lived up to what was offered. They provide a link to measure usage as I have gone for package with a monthly limit of 20Gb.
Only disadvantage seems to be it doesn't work well with VPN such as ExpatShield.

Don't know about any Correos offer, did mine through The Experience Group, Estapona.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:29 pm

masterob wrote: Only disadvantage seems to be it doesn't work well with VPN such as ExpatShield.

.. did mine through The Experience Group, Estapona.
Mine is also from the same plce.
Don't need to use Expatshield as mine has a UK ISP address.
Have you tried accessing BBC iPlayer directly?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Gerry, I had assumed that as my ISP address starts with 95. which the ISP Locator shows as being in Italy (where I believe the Tooway Company is based) I would be unable to access iPlayer etc. But, as you say, I can!! That's great news - thanks for the info. Hope you are equally satisfied with system? Rob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 am

Hi Rob
Agree with you about the Italian IP address but I found that it was using a different IP address in Hastings UK.
Can't find where or how I found it but it certainly seems to be using a UK IP address.
Very satisfied with the system so far, haven't encountered any problems yet.
Hope to post a more comprehensive report on the system when I've used it a bit more.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 pm

campocaro1 wrote:
Has anyone had experience of the satellite version of this Tooway/Eurona/Correos deal?
Had a leaflet in my post box today.
As far as I am aware all satellite reception is via the Tooway system.
The only thing that varies is the reseller/ installer.
You get the same basic packages from them all.
What varies is the monthly price depending on how they charge for the equipment, installation and configuration.
With the cheapest monthly charge you pay the full cost of the the equipment, installation and configuration up front.
Some others you pay a dearer monthly charge and, effectively, pay for the equipment other the 24 month contracted period but still pay the installation and configuration charge up front.
With others, like the deal you are referring to, you pay a higher monthly charge and effectively, pay for the equipment,installation and configuration charge other the 24 month contracted period.
So speed wise, download limits etc should be exactly the same for all, it's just how you pay for the equipment etc. that varies
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MauriceW » Tue May 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi everybody,

I have the Correos flyer here and I am confused about the 'M' and 'L' packages, which are limited.
The 'M' package has a 10 Gb download limit and 10 GB upload limit.
The 'L' package has a 20 Gb daytime limit and is unlimited during night time.
The 'Absolute' package is unlimited.

How do they calculate this limit? Count all upload and download traffic together?
What happens when you reach the limit?

And in the 'L' package they talk about 20 GB upload and download during daytime (between 7 and 23 Hr) and unlimited traffic during night time (between 23 Hr. and 7 Hr.). What does this mean? They do not count traffic during nighttime?
And can you use this with Skype or voip? (because of the latency). Anyone having experience? :)

And the most important question... per what period are these limits. I don't see that it's per day or per month?? I assume it's per month but I am not sure.

Okay, these are a lot of questions and I hope someone can clarify them for me?

Thank you!
Maurice