UKIP looking ok :)

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Julie
Andalucia Guru

UKIP looking ok :)

Postby Julie » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 am

Well ! I am pleased to see that the protest voters ( I don't want to argue over why they vote the way they do) have turned out and they are making their mark :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

barry
Resident

Re: UKIP looking ok :)

Postby barry » Fri May 03, 2013 9:46 am

Congratulations to Alan Hope, Loony Party. Let us hope and pray that these right thinking peolple sweep the board in the next general election in the UK.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 am

Julie wrote:Well ! I am pleased to see that the protest voters ( I don't want to argue over why they vote the way they do) have turned out and they are making their mark :)

A whole 29% of the electorate bothered to vote here in Lincolnshire, as a result 3 members of the same family are now councillors for UKIP. Not quite sure what sort of independance they will be working towards at a county level - or quite how they are going to address the problems locally let alone how they are going to stop the millions of Romanians and Bulgarians that are expected on the next boat. Still they are in now and controlling 16 seat - time will tell.

I think it high time people were forced to vote (as they are in lots of other countries) the turn out in the UK must be one of the worst in the world.
I can spell but I can't type

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 03, 2013 10:29 am

If there had been a larger turnout UKIP may have got more seats :think:

Remember a few on here wanting a change in the voting system A La Lib-dem. If that had happened we would be looking at at least a few UKIP Goverment Ministers next time...although still a possibility :thumbup:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 am

Julie wrote:Well ! I am pleased to see that the protest voters ( I don't want to argue over why they vote the way they do) have turned out and they are making their mark :)
Then don't argue! but I will still put forward my opinion.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 03, 2013 10:40 am

I immediately thought of our political experts here that predicted UKIP might pick up a few protest votes when I saw the current results. :lolno: :oops: :lolno: Still, it's only local elections, that could never happen in a general election! Or could it?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

At the moment they seem to be picking up votes from the Conservatives. How does that help their objectives?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 am

Not according to the media...take South Shields as an example!

Cameron only had to do what Spain has done, announce that there would be no more benefits and health care for immigrants entering the country, stick two fingers up to Brussels and they wouldn't have lost so many votes.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 am

katy wrote:Not according to the media...take South Shields as an example!

Cameron only had to do what Spain has done, announce that there would be no more benefits and health care for immigrants entering the country, stick two fingers up to Brussels and they wouldn't have lost so many votes.
I prefer facts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21240025

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 am

frank wrote:I immediately thought of our political experts here that predicted UKIP might pick up a few protest votes when I saw the current results. :lolno: :oops: :lolno: Still, it's only local elections, that could never happen in a general election! Or could it?
Simple answer: no, it couldn't - I hope you weren't expecting any other answer. :angel:

It's a long standing pattern, that every government becomes unpopular during its mid-term and attracts protest votes to the marginal parties. That used to be the Lib-Dems, but they have effectively committed political suicide by becoming Tory lickspittles :D . So the protest vote goes to the next least threatening party.
However come a general election, when things actually become significant, all those protest voters will flock back to the main parties. They always do.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 pm

pete_l wrote:[
However come a general election, when things actually become significant, all those protest voters will flock back to the main parties. They always do.
¡Ya veremos! The prediction of picking up a few protest votes has already been proved very wrong, I think your prediction might go the same way. We all know about mid term discontent etc, but I think we are pretty much in unchartered waters at the moment, sure some might go back but I suspect UKIP will be in a far stronger position after the general election than they are now. I see a headline today about Cameron will be concentrating on immigration as UKIP surge ahead in the polls, if nothing else if it gets him concentrating on issues that seem to concern the general public rather than trivia like gay marriage, that in itself will be a good thing.
Regards, Frank

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 03, 2013 1:14 pm

¡Ya veremos!
I'm sorry, but what page are you reading from?
How is 42 out of 606 councillors won so far a mandate for political change?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Out of 378 declared seats UKIP got ... 42 up to now. Jeez they must be disappointed. 42? 42? :shock:

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Fri May 03, 2013 1:27 pm

The thing is, the Conservatives have always had an "itch" about immigration (Enoch Powell, anyone?). So I doubt that UKIP is doing anything to alter the C's views on immigration - or even to bring it further up the agenda. Yes, it's nice for them to think they're having an effect, but it would be a mistake for anyone else to reach that conclusion.
All I see happening is that UKIP (basically, the right-most Tories: but with more policies) will take over from the Libs as the protest vote. Maybe the Libs will cling on to some of their stronger seats, as they've always done better in geographically remote areas, where UKIP aren't really understood as there are few immigrants there, but UKIP will take over their status in urban areas - but no more than that.

Now if, at the last election, the Libs had got into bed with the Labs - then UKIP would have been gobbled up by the Cons. and all we'd be concerned about would be the BNPs. :shock:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm

UKIP - Send in the 'clowns'
This is the day when those dubbed "clowns, loonies, fruitcakes and closet racists" may find it hard to resist the temptation to laugh in the face of their detractors in the established political parties.
It is the day UKIP emerged as a real political force in the land.
Regards, Frank

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm

The thing is that both the Conservatives and Labour have changed their policies to try and keep in with the biggest amount of the electorate.

The thing is now we have a party with policies that are actually attractive to a lot of voters who didn't feel they had that choice before. All the three main parties are pro more EU lunacy.

All I can see happening is policy shifting by the Conservatives to try and hang in. Cameron squandered the last two years when he could have got the country back on track but as Frank says concentrated on trivia stuff like gay marriage. They won't of course, Labour will get back in next time and steer the country to hell when it runs out of money in 2017.

Lib Dems are finished. Clegg will be able to go onto a fat salaried job in Brussels.

As a footnote. I find it incredible that more countries are clamouring to join the Euro despite seeing the mess Spain, Portugal and Greece are in through being tied to the Euro.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Fri May 03, 2013 3:44 pm

olive wrote:As a footnote. I find it incredible that more countries are clamouring to join the Euro despite seeing the mess Spain, Portugal and Greece are in through being tied to the Euro.
Just look at all those luvverly EU grants that countries like Spain and Greece got to build infrastructure they couldn't afford for themselves. Not to mention that all these new country's workers will (though maybe in a few years) be able to work anywhere they please within the EU. And if they decide to just lay back and party all the time, instead of doing productive work and earning their standard of living, so it all goes bits-up, then there are the bailouts to enjoy.

What's not to love?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm

pete_l wrote:
olive wrote:As a footnote. I find it incredible that more countries are clamouring to join the Euro despite seeing the mess Spain, Portugal and Greece are in through being tied to the Euro.
Just look at all those luvverly EU grants that countries like Spain and Greece got to build infrastructure they couldn't afford for themselves. Not to mention that all these new country's workers will (though maybe in a few years) be able to work anywhere they please within the EU. And if they decide to just lay back and party all the time, instead of doing productive work and earning their standard of living, so it all goes bits-up, then there are the bailouts to enjoy.

What's not to love?
Excellent. You have just written support for UKIP. That is Britain, among others, paying for new infrastructure for these incoming countries and getting nothing or very little in return.

Then their wages will rise (along with the cost of everyday living) and they won't be able to afford the Cars and white goods Germany is producing. Then they will have mass unemployment and won't be able to devalue to regain competitiveness because they don't have control over their own currency. In fact they will become PIIGS. Snort :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri May 03, 2013 4:30 pm

In percentages as to why people would vote UKIP.
76 Want immigration reduced
59 Want Britain to leave EU
47 Unhappy with major parties
25 Unhappy with Cameron, government
20 Ukip reflect personal values and beliefs
15 Positive impression of Nigel Farage
14 Sends a message
12 Unhappy over gay marriage
9 New party deserves a chance
8 Ukip would run the country well
1 Don't know
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Lavanda wrote:Out of 378 declared seats UKIP got ... 42 up to now. Jeez they must be disappointed. 42? 42? :shock:
Blimey...took you a while to pop up, too gobsmacked. :lol: You aren't very aware of whats happening are you :roll: firstly most of the results aren't in, secondly there was broad agreement amongst the political pundits that UKIP would have done well if they won 40 seats. Nigel reckons that ken Clarkes rant gave them another 3% surge...egg on kens face eh!

UKIP or Tory we may be well shot of the EU by 2016 :clap: