Cause for concern or just a rumour!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cause for concern or just a rumour!

Postby frank » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Miro wrote:And therein lies the rub. If as much time and effort was expended explaining why these kind of things are necessary and a good idea, and offering assistance and advice on how to "do the right thing", as in threatening people with fines or worse, thereby putting more people off coming here, we might be in a better state. (720 a case in point)
I wouldn't have thought having a letting property legally registered, thus ensuring all the gas appliances etc, fire precautions, insurances, are all in place would need to be explained as necessary and a good idea. It should be a prerequisite. If you leave people to do these things voluntarily, they simply don't get done. For those that are happy to have their families, their grandchildren, stay in unregistered properties, that's up to them, let them do it, I'll stick to registered one's. It's a bit late if a fire breaks out and you find there are no extinguishers or no fire escape.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 pm

ashtondav, I can answer your question ...

I asked about this firstly at my local Ayuntamiento. They said if they were going to start to be bothered with registering properties to be rented out legally, half the village, including the Mayor, would be in trouble. I persisted and they told me to go to see someone in the Employment Office, in the self-employed department to see about registering the house and thereby running a business and paying autonimos.

The man in the EO gave me about 50 pages of rules and regs and told me once they had been done someone would come and inspect the house and award trees (casa rural stars). I explained that I only rented the house about 10 weeks a year for something to do as we have three houses and it's not good for them to be empty all the time and neither is it good for the village to have empty houses. He said if I was only doing it for less than six months I did not need to be registered, inspected etc. BUT I need to be insured (am, of course) AND pay taxes on the income (do, of course).

Sorted! The new laws, if passed, may superseed what I've just written.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:13 pm

I wonder how they could police it :? Most properties nowadays are rented so little that they couldn't prove it wasn't a friend.

I lke the idea in Florida where some areas cannot have short term lets ie. minimum 6 months.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I wouldn't have thought having a letting property legally registered, thus ensuring all the gas appliances etc, fire precautions, insurances, are all in place would need to be explained as necessary and a good idea. It should be a prerequisite. If you leave people to do these things voluntarily, they simply don't get done. For those that are happy to have their families, their grandchildren, stay in unregistered properties, that's up to them, let them do it, I'll stick to registered one's. It's a bit late if a fire breaks out and you find there are no extinguishers or no fire escape.
Oh for goodness sake! If you look at the injuries and deaths stats you would see that most occur in precisely the hotels that are registered.

Just point to the regs, website and application forms.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:28 pm

We never did rent our house, but we did several home exchanges (where you live in someone else's home for a holiday and they live in yours). No money, black, white or striped, exchanged hands. Would this come under the legislation?

Can't do them now - no-one wants to come on holiday to the West Midlands. :crazy: :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:05 pm

ashtondav wrote: Oh for goodness sake! If you look at the injuries and deaths stats you would see that most occur in precisely the hotels that are registered.
Are we getting excited? :lolno: Perhaps you could link to some meaningful stats, one's that compare the number of people staying in hotels compared with private lettings, and comparison figures re deaths. Something to back up your little rant.
Regards, Frank

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

your little rant.
Ooh ouch! Pots and kettles...

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Presumably if this goes ahead we will no longer be taxed on the assumption we are renting out...

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Presumably if this goes ahead we will no longer be taxed on the assumption we are renting out.

We wish :lol: :lol: :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 am

Does anyone know exactly when the vote on it is , the article was published 2 weeks ago stating in the coming weeks .

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 pm

After yesterday's article in El Pais I went to the Ayuntamiento to talk about registering my house. The entire office stopped work and we all had a 'meeting'. In a nutshell their answers were:

- it's a costa problem not ours
- it's a localised problem in Andalucia and they think the rest of Spain should get involved
- we don't have any hotels here
- we rely on locals renting properties to attract money to the village
- make sure you're insured, have a safety drill and pay your taxes
- we'll keep you posted on developments
- don't create problems were none exist

How's it going for the rest of you with properties you let or properties you rent?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri May 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Sounds like Spain :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Whatever the local Ayuntamientos think This law was approved by the Senate yesterday. Now it goes back to Congress. Not long now before it becomes law....er. nationally

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Meanwhile the law about cleaners has more or less been scrapped.
Dave

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm

katy wrote:Whatever the local Ayuntamientos think This law was approved by the Senate yesterday. Now it goes back to Congress. Not long now before it becomes law....er. nationally
You'd know better than me, passing a law in Spain and enforcing it are two very different things! :) Someone once tried to tell me all motorcyclists have to wear a crash helmet and can't ride up one way streets the wrong way, I wasn't having any of it, seen far too many rural villages to believe that!
Regards, Frank

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice. Can you imagine the hundreds of thousands of Spaniards from inland Spain who flock to the coast in July and August paying through the nose to stay in some grotty, overpriced, restrictive, hotel?

I know of several different family units on the coast who all move into an apartment of one of the family members whilst the other members rent out their apartments for anything up to two or three thousand euros for the month then they split the proceeds. In the unlikely event that there is a check the renters will be 'family members from Madrid/Seville/Cordoba/Granada'.

This will never change and the only people who will be affected, as with overseas asset declaration, will be the down-trodden, law-abiding foreigners who will meekly succumb to these bullying tactics by the hotel trade which is pulling the government's strings. It is far easier for the hotel trade to force the government to make the competition illegal than lower their own prices and improve their service.
Let's go Brandon!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 am

Yesterday I was discussing the proposed new law with a villager who has an apartment she rents on one of the Costas, word of mouth, cash in hand. She intends to carry on as normal because paying taxes only encourages the Government to keep the money for themselves or waste it on silly ideas. She also said that as far as our village was concerned the Government did not decide what happens here, the Alcalde does! :shock: Judging by the amount of EU laws openly flouted every day I agree that this law is impossible to enforce in practical terms and is just a sop to the hotel lobbiers in Madrid.

fuentearriba
Tourist

Postby fuentearriba » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:26 am

I now understand that an individual or a company must have a minimum of 3 rental units!

fuentearriba
Tourist

Postby fuentearriba » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 am

My 15 year experience of two Mayors is that they tell you what you want to hear!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:33 am

Fuentearriba, could you tell me where you heard the bit about 3 rental units and perhaps expand on it if possible ? Also, does anyone know if the law has passed by congress yet ? I cannot seem to find much information about it .