Alhambra Palace - advance tickets sales only?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Alhambra Palace - advance tickets sales only?

Postby fearless nige » Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 am

My sister from Australia is here visiting and wants to go but I have left it very late to book advanced tickets online. All slots are sold. Previously it was my belief that on arrival there, there were ticket sales available on the day for people who had not booked in advance. As it is unclear from their own website, can anyone please tell me if this is still possible?? i.e. just turn up and pay to go in. Thanks.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alhambra Palace - advance tickets sales only?

Postby frank » Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 am

1) Buy tickets for the Alhambra at the ticket office (same day)
• One person can buy a maximum of ten tickets
• Usually you can buy tickets the same day if you come before 8:00, but the queues can be long.
• At the Alhambra ticket office you can only buy tickets for the same day, not in advance.
• You can pay by credit card at the ticket office.
I've been several times, always prebooked, and have seen these queues, they can indeed be long!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 am

Just seen this on Tripadvisor, it was 2 years ago but I doubt it has got any better.
When I got to the ticket office around 7:25, there must have been around 600 people already. When the ticket office opened at 8:00 AM an announcement was made that there were 325 tickets available for the morning visit and about 120 tickets availabe for the afternoon visit which starts at 2:00 PM. Needless to say, I was not able to get the General daytime tickets to the palaces, but I was able to book a garden visit in the afternoon. Nightime visits to the Nasrid palaces was also sold out by the time I got to the window.
I fell in line at 7:25 AM, and did not get to the ticket window just before 11:00 AM. That is a little more than 3 hours falling in line.
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 am

Think if you are desperate to go, the only way will be the abono. It includes loads of other things that you probably wouldn't use (bus trips, entry fees etc) so would work out expensive, but I think that's about the only option left to you.
http://www.granadatur.com/en/uplevel-menu/granada-card/
Regards, Frank

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am

A couple of years ago when I visited, I hadn't pre-booked due to the fact I was only passing through. I still had a nice afternoon walking around the outside and in the gardens. I can't remember how much it cost but I was able pay on the day at the ticket office and there weren't queues and that was in August.
Maybe it's an option if you don't get any joy with tickets

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks you for your replies - after feeling that I had let my family down I did a lot of digging on the net and found some tickets available in two days time through 'ticketmaster' - I guess that companies such as this must block book tickets?? Anyhoo, I'm hopeful now that we will gain access. Thanks folks.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

I believe you can buy tickets through any cash machine of La Caixa bank. The one in Torre del Mar offered me that option when I collected my Malaga FC game tickets from the same machine.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 am

Good luck, I love it there, have been 4 times, including a night visit. The surrounding gardens are nice, the Generalife etc, but the jewel in the crown is of course the Nasrid Palaces. Don't miss your slot, they are unforgiving, they won't let you in. A nice time lapse video featuring the Alhambra in the middle to get you in the mood!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8BN-_RuYA
Regards, Frank

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue May 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I believe you can buy tickets through any cash machine of La Caixa bank. The one in Torre del Mar offered me that option when I collected my Malaga FC game tickets from the same machine.
That option is only to collect previously booked tickets!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Best days to go are when there are no cruise ships in Malaga.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm

masterob wrote:
That option is only to collect previously booked tickets!
Football tickets can only be collected from Servicaixa cash machines but bookings for the Alhambra can be made there as well. I was offered that option yesterday and it is mentioned on several Granada web sites.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 am

Thank you all for your replies. Well I managed to get the three tickets I wanted through Ticketmaster after other sites had suggested none were available, and collected them from La Caixa bank. :thumbup: