Flying Cat to UK

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
sparkyjon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Flying Cat to UK

Postby sparkyjon » Mon May 27, 2013 8:04 am

I have heard that it might cost about £400 (plus £100 for a suitable container) to send our cat back to the UK on Monarch airlines. Does anyone know if BA carry pets and what the cost might be for a cat from Malaga to Manchester?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Flying Cat to UK

Postby katy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:33 am

I don't think BA fly to Manchester. We paid about £500 + carrier.

sparkyjon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sparkyjon » Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 am

katy wrote:I don't think BA fly to Manchester. We paid about £500 + carrier.
Yes your'e right about BA. I rechecked their website and you have to change at Gatwick for a connecting flight via Heathrow.

Monarch are really greedy considering the prices that other airlines charge - e.g. American Airlines charge €96 or Lufthansa €35-100! Some might find this link interesting http://blog.edreams.com/flying-with-dog ... y-airline/.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Might be an idea to contact Flybe. I know they carry pets on domestic flights. Blurb ...
Flybe restricts the carriage of all other cats and dogs as cargo only, both accompanied and unaccompanied. The animals will be carried in the holds of the aircraft. All queries should be referred to Air Logistics Group on +44 (0) 1332 819204 or via e-mail: [email protected]
Dave

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm

We're trying to organize ours from Manchester to Malaga for next year. Jet 2.com from Manchester is the only airline so far who take cats in the hold. I think £200 ish was the price where you take the pet to the airport. It will be dearer to hire a company to deliver your pet.. Contact Jet2.com
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

sparkyjon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sparkyjon » Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 am

JAKE M wrote:We're trying to organize ours from Manchester to Malaga for next year. Jet 2.com from Manchester is the only airline so far who take cats in the hold. I think £200 ish was the price where you take the pet to the airport. It will be dearer to hire a company to deliver your pet.. Contact Jet2.com
Thanks for that, however after checking them out I think I will pass. They seem to have some very unhappy customers and I wouldn't want to trust our cat to them. (http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews57156.html).

Based on what some of the reviewers say we may also end up with extra charges and if things go wrong, as they seem to do quite frequently we could end up with real headaches and considerable extra costs. I also found this http://www.vidaenvalencia.com/using-jet ... k-to-spain from someone who was considering using them but in the end didn't, which says that their rules state 'Please expect fees to apply on recovery of the pet at destination'. A reputable company would say what the fees are!

We used a pet courier service based in Nerja (just along the coast from Malaga) who were very good (http://www.pet-couriers.com/) so will probably stick with them. It cost £350 and took under 3 days for them to deliver from Lancaster to Nerja, though the cat was livid when he jumped out of the box in Nerja - still who wouldn't be if you were kidnapped and transported to a strange place!

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Tue May 28, 2013 8:34 am

See this pet transport review site, this company has no reviews, perhaps you should post your good experience.
http://spanimal.org/pet-transport-reviews

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am

We've used Jet2 numerous times (not for cats) and never had a problem at all, usually on time with courteous staff. My daughter and grandson fly out tomorrow with them. I would have no hesitation in using them in future.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 pm

[quote
We used a pet courier service based in Nerja (just along the coast from Malaga) who were very good (http://www.pet-couriers.com/) so will probably stick with them. It cost £350 and took under 3 days for them to deliver from Lancaster to Nerja, though the cat was livid when he jumped out of the box in Nerja - still who wouldn't be if you were kidnapped and transported to a strange place![/quote]

What mode of transport did they use?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 pm

If looking at couriers, check they are DEFRA registered. Pet Couriers are, but some of those advertising this service are not. So beware.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 29, 2013 6:50 am

I've used ............overland...would recommend.

http://www.petchauffeur.eu/

Best to get a few quotes from various carriers and see if they have dates to suit you.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 am

My friend took a small dog (chihuahua) as hand luggage on a flight to Amsterdam from Malaga. The animal had to fit comfortably in a pet carrier of hand luggage size that could go under her seat. I don't know what airline it was, or whether it is allowed on UK flights, but worth asking about.

sparkyjon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sparkyjon » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

We used a pet courier service based in Nerja (just along the coast from Malaga) who were very good (http://www.pet-couriers.com/) so will probably stick with them. It cost £350 and took under 3 days for them to deliver from Lancaster to Nerja, though the cat was livid when he jumped out of the box in Nerja - still who wouldn't be if you were kidnapped and transported to a strange place!
JAKE M wrote:What mode of transport did they use?
Air conditioned van.

sparkyjon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sparkyjon » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Enrique wrote:I've used ............overland...would recommend.

http://www.petchauffeur.eu/
Fine if you've got a few thousand pounds to spare!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi sparkyjon,

"Fine if you've got a few thousand pounds to spare!".......... :?:

I sent a dog to UK.............circa 400€ using the one I posted .

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm

I sent a dog to UK.............circa 400€ using the one I posted
You posted a dog?
Dave

sparkyjon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sparkyjon » Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 am

Enrique wrote: "Fine if you've got a few thousand pounds to spare!".......... :?:

I sent a dog to UK.............circa 400€ using the one I posted .
That must have been back in the day!! I sent an enquiry a week ago asking about my wife accompanying the cat and this is what I got back.

Standard-plus Travel – Guaranteed sole use of PetChauffeur, with your own choice of travel dates. This tariff is designed for clients who either prefer to book PetChauffeur solely for their own use, or who attach high priority to choosing their exact travel dates, e.g. because of house purchase/sale, health issues or family circumstances.

· 2100 euros (plus 21% IVA) from collection point in Nerja to Folkestone, plus
· 75 cents per km (plus 21% IVA) from Folkestone to their destination in Lancaster, which at 500 kms, would be 375 euros.

This option would cost me 2995 euros :wtf: !

Flexi-date Travel - This tariff is designed for clients who have some flexibility in their travel arrangements and are prepared to fit into my schedule in order to get a reduced tariff.

∙ 1650 euros (plus 21% IVA) from collection point in Nerja to Folkestone, plus
· 75 cents per km (plus 21% IVA) from Folkestone to their destination in Lancaster

This option would cost me 2450 euros :wtf: !

Shared-journey Travel - Sharing PetChauffeur with another client and his/her pet, with suitably flexible travel dates. This tariff is designed for clients travelling alone who are prepared to share the journey with another client and their pet, and so get the benefit of sharing the costs also.

∙ 1200 euros (plus 21% IVA) from collection point in Nerja to Folkestone, plus
· 75 cents per km (plus 21% IVA) from Folkestone to their destination in Lancaster

This option would cost me 1905 euros :wtf: !

Last-minute Standby Travel - Very occasionally a bargain standby price is available. This tariff is designed for clients with maximum flexibility who can finalise their travel arrangements at the last minute in order to get a bargain tariff.

∙ 750 euros (plus 21% IVA) from collection point in Nerja to Folkestone, plus

This option would cost me 1361 euros :wtf: !

We love our cat but we don't want to be eating tripe and onions for the next year :crazy:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 am

Hi sparkyjon,
Well if you're sending the wife :!: :!: ..........I sent mine on a Ryanair £10 fight......... 8)