Dentists and dental insurance... argh!!!!!

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
jukim
Resident

Dentists and dental insurance... argh!!!!!

Postby jukim » Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm sure it's been done to death but I have health insurance with Prevision Medica and asked about dentist insurance. They gave me a (short) list of dentists near me and the problem is you have to choose one and then stick with it. This makes me nervous. Does anyone else have a dental plan whereby you can choose which dentist to go to? Also, I believe there's one called Maria in Torrox Costa near Aldi, does anyone know if she's still there? Or any other recommendations... the one on my list in Torrox pueblo is ANTONIO DELGADO MÁRQUEZ... anyone know him?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dentists and dental insurance... argh!!!!!

Postby Lyric » Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm

My wife, who is mad tooth concious, rates Maria highly. She only does a couple of days a week at T.Costa and we think that it is Monday and Wednesday, but the receptionist is there.

Maria is fluent English but the receptionist is rudimentary at best.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks, whereabouts is she and is she there evenings as well as mornings?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

She is in the block between Aldi and the cafe next but one to Aldi I think and, pause to find wife, it's Spanish hours, wife's last was at 17.00.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Tue May 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks Lyric, that sounds great... just one other thing, how is it price-wise – I had an out-of-body experience with a dentist in Cómpeta when the receptionist handed me the bill for my oh's treatment!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue May 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Here's me working away in the kitchen and my e-mail keeps going off :lolno:

We only have one area of comparison, we both had quotes for a bit of work from Dentadanes in Maro who are very good and state of the art equipment etc.and obviously Danish. Young Maria, whose equipment is adequate, is about 50% of that !

Check up is free. Clean and Polish 40€ wife's root canal was 195€

And she is pretty

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm

That sounds great... my oh had a repair of previously root-filled tooth and it we paid around €600 with another €500ish due for the final completion! Hence why I'm pretty sceptical about dentists. Will definitely try Maria. Thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

One problem with dental costs is that they have to pay for all the outsourced work for crowns and dentures etc and that price is pretty standard.

Where the treatment is labour intensive such as root fillings then prices can vary more based on the individual dentist's labour rates.

Just for the record, Dentadanes in Maro quoted me €950 for an implant plus €450 for the front crown to go on it.

I don't know how that compares with other dentists but it looks a lot cheaper than UK prices.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 28, 2013 4:19 pm

My OH had 1 implant with crown in Brighton for £995 including crown and all's well (10 months ago). Some charge as much as £2500. Having had a bad dental experience in Spain I think there is more to consider than price for dental treatment!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 pm

My only slight concern with Maria was that when my OH had a check-up she announced that he had two lower molars that needed filling. He has very good teeth and never normally needs much doing other than a clean, and since it was only a year since his last check-up we were rather sceptical. She seemed very keen to do them there and then but he said no thank you. When he had his next 6 month check-up with his usual dentist, he said that there were no cavities on his lower molar, but a small one on his upper!

Being an ex-dental nurse who once worked for very dodgy dentists, (and also my father-in-law was a dentist who had a cheating partner), it makes me a very nervous patient! I used to use Erik at Dentadines but unfortunately he has retired and I have been trying out other dentists, but still miss going to him.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Wicksey wrote: I used to use Erik at Dentadines but unfortunately he has retired and I have been trying out other dentists, but still miss going to him.
I am sure you will like his replacement, Andreas. Their prices haven't changed under the new management and Nette is now the owner.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed May 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Root canal, National Health, £39, easy on the wallet!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Clean and Polish 40€
Oh was charged €60 for the same but that included a "magic pill" and injections as she's $hit-scared of dentists. No pain.
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 29, 2013 7:33 pm

You are either an OAP or a nursing mother or a teenager or pregnant or at college. You could be anyone! :wave:
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Most ambulatorios or centros de salud have a dentist who will provide free treatment to people registered with the social security system.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Mowser wrote:Most ambulatorios or centros de salud have a dentist who will provide free treatment to people registered with the social security system.
Probably emergency treatment only. No cheap crowns or implants I fear!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Mowser wrote:
You are either an OAP or a nursing mother or a teenager or pregnant or at college. You could be anyone! :wave:
No, I think that Is the price for everyone :? Some categories are free on low income.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 29, 2013 9:34 pm

I doubt Frank is a low income person.
Dave

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 pm

NHS costs £17.50 for a check up, £48 for treatment - fillings, extractions root canal etc and a max of £209 for crowns or dentures. If you need treatment, the £17.50 is taken into account I think prices went up slightly on 1st April. OH is currently having a root canal and has had 5 appointments for his £48!
I can spell but I can't type

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 am

Once again a topic hijacked by the UK crowd,what relevance does the NHS have when the request was for information about dentists in Andalucia. :silent: