Scrapping a Spanish vehicle

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Scrapping a Spanish vehicle

Postby hillybilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:37 pm

I have to scrap my not-so-trusty C15 van (Spanish) as it's beyond economical repair :cry:
Anyone know what red tape I need to wade through? Does one get a car tax refund in Spain? Thanks in advance!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:51 pm

As you might expect this is a fairly rigorous procedure and details can be found on the good old DGT web site here.

Among other things you have to show that the most recent circulation tax has been paid and I don't think you will get a refund.

There seems to be no mention of any documentation from the scrap yard to which you decide to take it but maybe they have to stamp the DGT form. It used to be that if you could drive the vehicle to the scrap yard you would get something for it even if it was only a few euros.

If the vehicle is more than fifteen years old DGT makes no charge for the paperwork.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks for that Beach. Vehicle is over 15 years old so that's good. Definitely no longer driveable as the garage have semi dismantled it and don't seem particularly keen to reassemble it!
Looks like a trip to Sevilla then as that's where my Jefatura Provincial de Trafico is unless the local Ayuntamiento (where the car tax is paid) will accept and process the application. Do you know?
Oh well, I can get my UK driving licence stamped at the same time as I've been putting that off and had my knuckles rapped by the Guardia last time I got stopped. Which seems to be quite frequently :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:07 pm

I it seems to say quite categorically that the process must be carried out at your local DGT so I don't think they will do it in the town hall.

One other thing about the vehicle being more than 15 years old is that you do not have to produce the most recent circulation tax receipt although if you have it you may as well take it with you.

I would also suggest that you print out the list of requirements from the PDF format so that if they ask you for something you do not have you can show them the list given on the web site.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:22 pm

Oh yes, have printed out all the docs. Have learnt to be well-armed :wink:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Just to update on this topic - the local scrapyard (Casariche), which used to supply all the spare parts for the vehicle anyway, have taken the van off my hands, including removing it from the garage where it has been languishing for a month. They do all the paperwork to baja the car for you. All they needed were the originals of the vehicle docs plus a copy of my driving licence. I get nowt for the car but they don't charge me owt either. So that saved me a trip to Trafico!

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:09 pm

glad to see youre back Hilly, hope to read more of your unique combination of common sense and fun.... more building advice and some more mice stories please :lol: