Andalucia.com

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Acen
Resident

Andalucia.com

Postby Acen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Does anyone know why there are to categories for the "privilege" users of this site.

These being the bottom two categories of Gurus Den and Amigos Lounge???

Its a bit "old boys network".

who judges the worthiness of users???

cheers

a

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Andalucia.com

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm

It is based on the number of posts a member has made.

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Which is a silly concept. I get the impression that some members feel the need to comment on each and every topic raised which consequently gives a high rate of postings. Quality rather than Quantity is what matters.

That said, I don't think they are in any way "privileged" . I gave up a long time ago entering the "lounge" as there was nothing there that interested me. I hadn't noticed the existence of the "den"!

Acen, I don't think you need worry!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:44 pm

The Amigos Lounge is now a valuable part of the site. It used to require 250 posts to get access but now it is only 25 but you do have to request access.

It used to have very few posts but now it is the part of the forum where all "Non Andalucia" posts should be posted. Threads which are not related to Spain and Andalucia will be moved to that section as appropriate so it is worth having access.

Anyone with more than 25 posts should PM me to arrange access.

Sid

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 pm

It does seem ridiculous. It should not be restricted!!!

I wont go into too much details but I'm on the internet during working hours as well as others in my office. (its a web based company), non of which I would like my employers to know about.

My current user ID is my third or fourth in the last 8+ years.

I'm only interested in asking about Satellite, IT, Cars, bikes and anything things that would benefit the kids so I'm never going to reach any targets.

After all these years I only noticed today that these sectioned existed :lol:

thanks

a

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Acen wrote:
I'm only interested in asking about Satellite, IT, Cars, bikes and anything things that would benefit the kids

a
So why are you concerned you can't access the restricted areas? :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:02 pm

:thumbup: nice one Gerry!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Acen wrote:It does seem ridiculous. It should not be restricted!!!

Take it or leave it - that's what was agreed by the members.

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Really? I don't recall any "vote" regarding the introduction of the "lounge" but then I don't spend that much time here. However, if it is regarded as valuable part of the Site (by whom?), then it makes no sense to have any restriction. A tad petty.

As to using ADC, I suppose it all depends whether someone sees it as a "cyber social club"(not very friendly at times) and a place to communicate anonymously about life! For me it's merely a place to get info about Andalusia.

Each to their own.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 pm

masterob wrote:Really? I don't recall any "vote" regarding the introduction of the "lounge" but then I don't spend that much time here. However, if it is regarded as valuable part of the Site (by whom?), then it makes no sense to have any restriction. A tad petty.

As to using ADC, I suppose it all depends whether someone sees it as a "cyber social club"(not very friendly at times) and a place to communicate anonymously about life! For me it's merely a place to get info about Andalusia.

Each to their own.
It is a specific section to enable "off topic" posts. It is restricted to avoid spammers getting in.

The Amigos Lounge has always existed, only the access has been changed to reduce the qualification for entry. This was done by consultation with the moderators, the members and the site owner.

The entry requirements and the reasons for having it are well covered in the "House Rules".

The "Guru's Den" is elitist in that it requires you to have achieved " Guru" status with over 2500 posts but I have to say you are not missing much by not having access!

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Fair enough but I'm not convinced by the "It's restricted to avoid spammers getting in". Surely you could argue a need to avoid spammers getting in to the Site as a whole but there is no restriction beyond initial registration. As I said, a certain pettiness.

Anyway, I think I've added my two penny worth! Lol.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 am

Ive retracted my last reply.

There seem no point to continue with this.
Last edited by Acen on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 am

Acen wrote:Its a concern because there is a restriction.

This web site is not open and in my opinion is controlled by a minority who dictate their views and use their self attained status to give false credibility to their posts.
AFAIK, the webpage is privately owned (Sid will correct me if I'm wrong) and they are free to impose whatever rules they like. There is nothing unusual in needing to have made x amount of posts in forums, some have x number of posts before you can receive/send PM's etc. Not sure who this minority is that's controlling the forum, perhaps it's a private cabal, but after being here many years I know I have never been consulted nor would I want to be or expect to be. I think the moderators are consulted, perhaps you could shed some light on who these controlling few are, it sounds like a masonic lodge. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:15 am

Acen wrote:Its a concern because there is a restriction. .
If you want access then you have to ask for access. It explains that quite clearly in the "House Rules"

Entry to the Amigos Lounge is restricted to established members who have made at least 25 posts. Entry is not automatic, it is by request to the moderators by Private Message. There may be a delay in being granted access as requests have to dealt with in batches for technical reasons.

Do I take it you want access or do you just object to the principle.

The first I can deal with, the second you will have to sort out yourself.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:03 pm

If one is really keen on becoming a Guru I guess they only have to join and play the endless 'Word Association' thread. :think:
Brian.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:10 pm

rafiki wrote:If one is really keen on becoming a Guru I guess they only have to join and play the endless 'Word Association' thread. :think:
Is there any point? :? Just had a first look (I think) there have been 16 topics since 2008! The word association was new to me as well, I think I can live without that! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Perhaps not for you nor me Frank but some might relish the 'elevation' to Guru-ship. :roll:
Brian.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:16 pm

rafiki wrote:If one is really keen on becoming a Guru I guess they only have to join and play the endless 'Word Association' thread. :think:
That's how I did it. :wave:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Whatever turns you on. :yawn:
Brian.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:09 pm

El Cid wrote:[The "Guru's Den" is elitist in that it requires you to have achieved " Guru" status with over 2500 posts but I have to say you are not missing much by not having access!
Shouldn't that 2000 posts Sid?

By my estimation there are only 25 Gurus anyway, it's up to them if the Den works or not.