Good Home

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Rossini

Good Home

Postby Rossini » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi

Don't know if anyone can help but here we are:

We have a dog Sam 8yrs old, very lively dog.

He has not setteled into life in Spain at all we have spent all year trying to to calm him and it is not happening. He is in general a very friendly dog except if you are a postman on a scooter! For the 2nd time in 4 months he has attacked the postman today then ran off, everytime a scooter drives past our garden (which is very often) he goes crazy barking, jumping he needs to be somewhere where there are no postmen on scooters, we are now at our wits end and fearfull if he ever brakes out again when the postman is about what the outcome will be...

I know there are much worse off than him but our neighbours are all terrifed of him and throw stones at him when he is in the garden they think he is some monster, his only problem is with the postman!

Does anyone know of a good home for him?

Manythanks Rossini

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:38 pm

Nearly all dogs try to have a go at the postman, why don't you shut him in the house when he comes? its not as if they come every day, at least my postman doesn't. A dog is for life not to be dumped in spain.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:47 pm

Perhaps you did not read the bit where it said the dogs goes crazy anytime a scooter goes past.
I'm nobody :( and nobody's perfect. Therefore, I'm perfect :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:52 pm

Er. No :oops: still don't think he should be dumped though.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:57 pm

It doesn't sound like she is trying to dump the dog. By the sounds of it, she is trying to do the right thing for the dog. It is being attacked by the neighbours and short of locking it inside all day long (which is no quality of life for a dog), I'm not sure what else she can do apart from rehouse it in a more sympathetic environment.

If she was going to dump it, I seriously doubt she would have headed the thread "good home".
I'm nobody :( and nobody's perfect. Therefore, I'm perfect :lol:

Rossini

Good home

Postby Rossini » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:34 pm

Thankyou Luffes.

I am not trying to dump the dog in Spain at all, he has been tied up but breaks the lead and we don't think it fair to be tied up all day, he is kept in but opened the kitchen door and ran out when I was chatting to a friend, the inside of my kitchen door is scratched to pieces by him clawing at it when he is inside and hears a scooter. We just want him to be somewhere where he can have space to do what dogs do without worrying about scooters and postmen all day long.

diane
Tourist

good home

Postby diane » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:46 pm

what breed of dog is Sam? One way of stopping a dog attacking postmen and scooters is, put him on a lead wait for him to begin his barking and jumping act, say nothing but squirt him with cold water say from an old washing up liquid bottle. Its a desensitive method. Don`t say NO, he is getting a reaction, wait for that moment when he sees the scooter anticipates the cold water and shuts up. Praise and treat. Same with the postman. Time and commitment will cure him. To rehome would be ok, but he may substitue a scooter for err goats and the new owners would have bigger problems.
Just a thought.
Di

Rossini

Good Home

Postby Rossini » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:55 pm

He is a mixed, medium sized chocolate brown.

We have tried this method using the hosepipe he hates it but it does not stop him. He hated the postman in the UK too but did not associate the postman with scooters then. He has been to classes we bought tapes and sought advice from the vet we have spent so much time on him that it is becoming so dis-heartning to watch him all day be so crazy over these things.

hairbear
Tourist

read this

Postby hairbear » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:07 pm

hi, your dog thinks hes the boss. go to amazon.co.uk and read the first book by jan fennel-canine communicator. This will help you a lot. it is sadly incredibly difficult to rehome animals here in spain and the shelters put them down. please take my advise for the sake of your dog....believe me it works ive done the course.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:30 pm

What about a fence?
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Rossini

GoodHome

Postby Rossini » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:52 pm

We have a wall with railings on top equaling 6,5ft he can get over it, he went into the kennels recently when we went away and escaped when he heard a scooter. The lady was past herself when she couldn't find him.

We have as I have said exhausted all avenues :cry:

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:30 pm

the book is, The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell -
the first in a series i believe...

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:34 pm

Sorry, you forgot to mention his wings.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:52 pm

Dave the Dogman used to have a programme on OCI, I suggest its worth a phone call, their number is 952 827070 . I believe he had a class somewhere near Mijas.