Buyng a used car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fearfulfred
Resident

Buyng a used car

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:42 pm

hello all
I am hoping someone can help me on this. I am planing on moving out from Canada and we had intended to purchase a used car. from reading this forum often i have gotten the impression that this is not easy to do. I have "seen" people mention a month of paperwork even with the help of a "gestor" . is this right...is it something to do with financing ( we hope to buy cash) . I cannot figure this one out. If it is the case I will have to rethink the possibility of buying a LHD in UK and bringing it there. That means a few extra days there trying to find something suitable. Might be easier than buying in Spain.We definitely need something as soon as we get to Spain as the house is up on a mountain and not within walking distance of bus/train. Hope someone can clarify things for me

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 pm

To buy from a dealer you will need passport, copy of Escitura or rental agreement and if possible NIE number. You can drive away as soon as the car is prepared. They will give you a 4 week temporary ownnership document. The paperwork is done afterwards. I suggest you do a two week rental to give you time to look around.

Importing even a LHD seems to be another costly admin nightmare.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:52 pm

We've just bought a car from a main dealership & it was very easy.
The vehicle came with a years (very comprehensive) warranty too!
Like Cliff has said, all we needed was one of our passports, a copy of an NIE, a copy of the escitura (phoned our lawyer & she faxed it over straight away). We collected the car 48 hours later.

It was a very easy process. If we had wanted to put the car on finance, that was another matter in itself, thankfully it was a cash purchase.

We have a temporary ownership document that is valid for 3 months, the garage told us that as soon as they get the complete document they'll drive it down to us, bonus!

Having bought a LHD in the UK & put it on Spanish plates & now purchased a Spanish plated car, there is no way that I would buy another car in the UK again & bring it over (unless it was a real bargain) :wink:

When I moved here I hired a car for 3 months, I agree with Cliff, it does give you time to shop about without any additional stress.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Fearful, Do NOT bring a car from the UK, even a left hand drive one the paperwork is a nightmare, just buy one down here from a reliable dealer, it's much simpler, the driving licence, now that's another matter!! best to get some advice from El Cid or Beachcomber!!

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 pm

Thanx all
I will not buy in the UK then we can just fly down and find one there ..it's a long drive down anyway . So far have the NIE and the passport the escritura should be at our lawyers office but i will write and make sure. he can e-mail me a copy or we can pick it up as soon as we arrive in Spain. i think i must have gotten the wrong impression when reading on this and the person involved did not have the right docs or some such problem. Thanx again that has been invaluable info.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:27 pm

casabermeja ?? you´ll be wanting a 4 wheel drive then!!!!

its easier / quicker / less hassle to buy a car in spain, it takes all the balls out the paperwork, its just a quick transfer. the transfer is handled by the town hall.

when you express an interest in a car, take it for a test drive, leave a deposit, the garage will say come back tomorrow, or in 4 days, or next monday and it´ll be ready... blah blah, you walk away with a reciept for your deposit. you then go back when they say it should be clean and lovely, you give them the rest, they give u the keys and a white slip. that white slip is your TEMPORARY "pink slip / V5 / Ownership Document". (in order to get it you need a padronamiento, NIE and passport). you drive away. a month or so later you go and get the "REAL" "pink slip / V5 / Ownership Document" from the garage :-if transfer was included in a sale.

legally you should have insurance from the day u pick up the car.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:35 am

Thanx Spanish lad . Actually will be trying to find out more about insurance before we go and have to insure the house also....Lots to think about . Yes it is in hills between Casabermeja and Colmenar...Will be a big change from living in the city we also need the vehicle to be able to pull a trailer up and down the hill . We are both looking forward to the change though it is relatively quiet here and almost crime free i expect it will be the same there (don't bother to lock the car in the yard half the time and often forget to lock the door on the house) .

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:43 pm

Now you`re scaring me!!!
I am planning on bringing an `AC Cobra` replica down in the spring, was thinking of converting it to `Spanish` (plates etc. ) but if it`s a pain in the *beep* I will keep it on British plates. How long can I keep it in Spain, is it still 6 months (or longer if you don`t get caught!). Does the UK MOT cover driving in Spain?
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:46 pm

careful fletch the a.com voluntary police force will be on ya..

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:48 pm

you´ll be wanting a 4 wheel drive then!!!!
Driving any car with 4 wheels will get you up almost any dirt track.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:20 pm

fearfulfred wrote:we also need the vehicle to be able to pull a trailer up and down the hill .
Also being Canadian, I know what a "trailer" is. I'm not so sure that the Europeans would be familiar with the term. Most refer to "caravan", I think.
You might need a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Depends on the hill I guess.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:26 pm

Thanxs John G
I did know about the use of the word "caravan " as I am married to a Brit. Actually it is a trailer we had made for our motorcycle and want to have modified for dragging stuff around. i figure it would be better to have it modified there so that it is sure to meet whatever requirements they have in Spain, as i am sure there are some.