Plant Identifiction

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
nigel_t
Andalucia.com Amigo

Plant Identifiction

Postby nigel_t » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:48 pm

I am trying to find out about a plant that has started appearing all over my land. Very green, largish leaves and appears to be low growing.

It has started to flower with what appear to be 'orchid' type flowers of comparable to the pitcher plant but smaller with a large staeman(sp) with a largish yellow\white 'bulb'end.

The flower is only about 1.5 - 2 inches

Anyone know what it is?

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

picture

Postby meseta » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:44 am

How about a photo ? Would be helpful .

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:41 pm

As nobody else has responded might I suggest the common Sternbergia which is like a wild autumn crocus but coming out now? Look at a pic online and see. The other wild yellow flowers around now that I've seen are Woad which has much smaller flowers than you describe and looks like a mustard plant and of course the Bermuda Buttercup with its trefoil leaves which is pretty much finished not starting.

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:45 pm

If you do a search on plant OR flower, you should find a posting in Sept I believe, follow the thread, that gave a website you could contact for info on plant species.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:41 pm

lis48 wrote: and of course the Bermuda Buttercup with its trefoil leaves which is pretty much finished not starting.
Sorry, I can't agree with that. When the October/November rains come the first plant to emerge is the Bermuda Buttercup. The hills go green and then yellow as the flowers appear. My garden is covered with the little brutes just appearing. Roundup will see them off very quickly!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:37 am

El Cid, is that the clover type leaf flower which covers our orchards??
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 pm

That the one!

Sid

nigel_t
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nigel_t » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:58 pm

Common Sternbergia? Nope not that one!!

Nothing like it at all. Sorry.

If someone can tell me how to post a photo here then that may help a little!!
Thanks

Nigel[/img]

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:51 pm

If someone can tell me how to post a photo here then that may help a little!!
Well, I go to Photobucket. Its free.

http://photobucket.com/

Once you get an account, there is a box - add pictures - and you can browse your own hard drive until you find the picture you want to put on the site. You have to double click on the name and it will appear in the box and then click "submit". Your picture will then appear at the bottom of the page with the headings - move - edit - delete at the top. You can go into edit and it will tell you how many megapixels your photo is and you can reduce the size - its pretty obvious how to do it. I have found that if your original photo is 300 megapixels and you click on 50% - it doesn't turn out to be 150 megapixels - its often quite a bit smaller. I have no idea why. If you get it too small, you can always delete the photo and submit it again.

Then what I do is click on the bottom tag - Image - and press Control+C
to copy the image tag.

Then you come back here and press Control+V - to paste the tag into your post.

You need the "img" tag in square brackets to start, and the "/img" tag in square brackets to end. If you copy the whole tag like I said then it will work.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!