contents insurance

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

contents insurance

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:15 pm

i need to insure my contents. any recomendations of english speaking insurers. the property is ok as it is insured through the community charge. is it the same principal as the UK where you give them a price or do you have to list everything individually. I've had 4 years without insurance and i think thats enough.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:15 pm

Try Expat Insurance in Fuengirola [they are on the web] and are all english speaking, or try Halifax Espania in Arroya del Miel as they do all the insurances and speak english. We insure through the first option Expat.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

estepona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby estepona » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:43 pm

I covered my building with Banco Halifax, then later added the contents. I was shocked at how cheap it was. When they told me it would be apx an additional 30 euros for the rest of the year, I thought that would be per month, but it was actually the total cost for the remaining 7 months til my next insurance renewal was due!!
Quite extraordinary! The staff in there are great and all speak English and will advise you on the best one to go for and the more reliable companies too.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:47 am

We did our insurance through Unicaja - better cover than an 'english' policy we had before (which seemed more suitable for a rental property than one lived in all the time) and cheaper. They are now offering their policies in english for their foreign clientele

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:04 am

I used to insure the house with a broker in Spain, it was underwritten by a co. called Zurich. During the bad Mijas fire a few years ago many people had problems getting paid anything for damage, some didn't get anything. (it was such a scandal tha they did a radio programme on it) The ones insured outside Spain were paid almost the same month. I now insure with a broker in Gibraltar, conditions are better and it turned out 20 pounds cheaper (although that was not the reason). This company was recommended by someone who did get paid.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:30 am

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:04 pm Post subject:
I used to insure the house with a broker in Spain, it was underwritten by a co. called Zurich

could pm me the name of the broker please

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:37 am

oops the NEW broker who is good :oops:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:52 am

We have just insured through Solbank, it was a little dearer than the previous insurance but the policy is in English and appears pretty comprehensive.

Had a quote from ex-pat insurance for a motorbike a few months ago more than twice the quote I had from a Spanish firm for the same insurance.

Mhic.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:41 pm

thanks for that everyone. looks like a gib based company or one of the big banks.

sunnyside
Tourist

Postby sunnyside » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:54 pm

We got our Mortgage throught Banco Halifax Hispania. They also insured our contents and building. The underwriter is Zurich. You've got me worried now!!

Niki Harrison
Andalucia.com Amigo

Contents Insurance

Postby Niki Harrison » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:28 pm

I got mine through SecInsure. They an an English company who do home and contents insurance as well as motor insurance.
Good luck in finding a suitable insurer.

Niki

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:46 pm

My parents have previously insured everything in this house (it belongs to them) it's due for renewal in march next year so right now i'm just fishing around for info, we're currently insured with Knights in Fuengirola.
My question is this, do you have to list individual items valued at more than €800 seperately (as they are suggesting) and do you need photographic proof and/or original proof of purchase for items such as antiques and valuable paintings, anyone have any experience of this??
I haven't contacted any of the insurance companies yet!!

Niki Harrison
Andalucia.com Amigo

Contents Insurance

Postby Niki Harrison » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:31 am

I think it varies Syd. Some companies require more information than others. With SecInsure I only had to give them an estimate of what my total contents are worth. Also, because I have some valuable jewellery I had to give them an approximate value for these too.

Niki

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:59 pm

Hi Niki, did they ask you for any photographs?

Niki Harrison
Andalucia.com Amigo

Photographs

Postby Niki Harrison » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:10 am

No Syd they didn't. I just had to complete an online proposal form and that was it.

Regards

Niki

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks! :)

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: contents insurance

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:21 pm

costakid wrote:i need to insure my contents. any recomendations of english speaking insurers. the property is ok as it is insured through the community charge. is it the same principal as the UK where you give them a price or do you have to list everything individually. I've had 4 years without insurance and i think thats enough.
Dont tempt providence any longer, get insured asap.

We had a fire at the house overnight Friday/Saturday. Luckily I managed to contain it to one section of the house but the amount of stuff we have lost is unbelievable.

Am insured with Groupama so will see how good or bad they are as claim proceeds. Claim will involve rebuilding one section of the house as the fire was so intense it cracked some walls and burned through solid concrete roof! We got through 3 fire extinguishers but still wasnt enough. Didnt hear the smoke alarm and dog didnt bark!

Any advice on handling claims assesors greatly received as usually dont have much luck with this sort of thing.

Mike

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Sorry to hear about that Bongtrees, hope the damage was only property,
do you know how it started?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:47 pm

Syd Barrett wrote:Sorry to hear about that Bongtrees, hope the damage was only property,
do you know how it started?
Hi Syd, thanks for asking and yes thankfully was only property.

Fire officers said it started within the dishwasher and now looking at the photos it looks as if that was the case especially as the electric lead from the dishwasher to plug is only burnt half way along from the machine end and nothing at the plug end and can now see what looks like a big black flame mark imprinted on the wall immediately behind where it stood and nowhere else are any similar markings.

Dishwasher is a good make and less than a year old and is burned inside and out whereas all other appliances are only burned on the outside.

Mike

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:27 am

In the UK I had to supply photographic evidence of some jewellery for insurance purposes, and on reflection it's not such a bad thing. At least if you have the photos any lost or stolen items are easier to identify (and to describe to the police) and if something has to be copied (as it was not recoverable for instance) you have a photo record of what it looked like.