NIE for kids

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bluebell
Andalucia.com Amigo

NIE for kids

Postby Bluebell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 am

Does anybody know what I need to take to get an NIE / ID for my kids (under 12)? I live in Cadiz province, and think I need to go to Cadiz although I did mine in Jerez but that was a long time ago. Please help i seem to have lost my brain..... :roll:
99% practice - 1% theory

crazyred
Resident

Re: NIE for kids

Postby crazyred » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:48 am

Do your children have the residencia (green certificate)? If so,they already have an NIE number. If not, got to your local National Police Station with passport, padron an any other bits of paper you might think necessary.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Dont forget that NIE is primarily for 5 years only and must be done again. after the second time it becomes unlimited.

No one will ever tell you that its only for 5 years but it is i can guarantee you!!!!

Bluebell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bluebell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks for comments.

After many phone calls and trips to local police, this is what I need to take along with me to the police station:

birth certificates "traductor jurado"
passports
last years school grades
authorisation from the father that the kids are allowed to live in Spain or both parents go together
10.40 euros

All originals and a photocopy.

And yes, it's renewable every 5 years, same for all foreigners, I believe.....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
99% practice - 1% theory

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46 am

No, as Acen said, the first one gives you the right of residence but not permanent residence.

After 5 years, or less in certain cases, you can apply for a certificate that gives you the right of permanent residence and that does not have to be renewed unless you change address, get married or divorced.

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am

I am wondering if this means that i need to renew my NIE for utilities etc? i thought it was for life but now wonder whether if i tendered it to say bank if it would not be accecptable as is 2007.
At the moment it is not my intention to be a permanent resident in Spain.

thanks

Bluebell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bluebell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 am

Ah yeah, I see after the second time it becomes unlimited. Cool!
99% practice - 1% theory

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am

carrowcrin wrote:I am wondering if this means that i need to renew my NIE for utilities etc? i thought it was for life but now wonder whether if i tendered it to say bank if it would not be accecptable as is 2007.
At the moment it is not my intention to be a permanent resident in Spain.

thanks

An NIE number is for life, just like the UK National Insurance number.

Until this new system came in you were not even obliged to inform them of a change of address. That would normally be taken care of via the residencia system.

Now of course, for a new arrival, the two systems are normally combined in the green form/card.

If you are not resident but require an NIE you can still apply for just an NIE but I understand that the form they now issue is only valid for 3 months as if you stay longer than that you should be on the register and they would then issue the normal green form/card which would show your NIE.

Even then, although the NIE form is a temporary one, the NIE number is still yours for life.

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am

Sid,

Thanks for reply, i find this NIE thing a bit confusing.
I have an NIE issued in 2007, my understanding was that it was valid indefinitely until i read this post saying that after 5 years it needed to be applied for and that the second NIE document/card was valid forever.
I am now wondering if this is something new and that maybe my original NIE is ok and that this need to re-apply is a more recent requirement?

ps my current house is not the address on the NIE document issued in 2007.

regards

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 am

carrowcrin wrote:Sid,

I am now wondering if this is something new and that maybe my original NIE is ok and that this need to re-apply is a more recent requirement?

ps my current house is not the address on the NIE document issued in 2007.

regards

If you are in Spain for more than 90 days you should be on the foreigners register and have the new green form/card and that is all you need. You can throw the old NIE form in the bin. As I said earlier the first can be converted to a permanent one after 5 years.

If you are non resident and not on the register and have the old white NIE form then you need do nothing as that is valid.

And yes - it is confusing!

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 am

If you are non resident and not on the register and have the old white NIE form then you need do nothing as that is valid.

Sid,

This is the category i fit into and you have clarified the box i fit into so all is fine.

regards and thanks.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I think that nearly all the confusion comes from people insisting on calling the foreigners registration certificate an 'NIE'. The certificate shows the NIE number but is not an 'NIE'. As Sid says, once you have been issued with an NIE - Numero Identificación Extranjero, or Foreigners Identification Number - that number is you for the rest of your life. As a foreigner resident in Spain you must register and get a Certificate that shows you have registered, which shows your NIE, name, address, and this is firstly valid for 5 years, then on renewal you can change the status to 'permanent' and forget any renewals.
For most transactions you will also need a current certificate that shows you are registered on the 'padron' for your town, and these are usually only valid for 3 months, although you remain on the padron without renewing the certificate unless your Ayuntamiento needs to update its list, in which case you must renew it. This is just like the Electoral Roll in the UK, which says you live where you do, and likewise is renewable every so often. The main difference is that it is rare for any authority to ask for proof of registration on the Electoral Roll - sadly since the abandoning of the late-lamented Poll Tax registration is not compulsory.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Bluebell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bluebell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 pm

impressive amount of knowledge.... :clap:

I have moved to another town, so therefore changed my address, should i also get padronamiento in the new town? :crazy:
99% practice - 1% theory

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Bluebell wrote:impressive amount of knowledge.... :clap:

I have moved to another town, so therefore changed my address, should i also get padronamiento in the new town? :crazy:

Yes, the new town hall will advise the old one that you have moved and they will remove you from their list.

Sid