Classic fm

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Classic fm

Postby baroness » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi, has everyone lost Classic fm radio on freesat, or has my dish moved? I lost it sometime between 1.00 am and 9.00 am this morning... Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Classic fm

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Some of the channels previously on the Eutelsat satellite are being moved to the Astra satellites.

This is because of a legal dispute between Eutelsat and SES as to who has the transmission rights. Some channels have moved to satellites which cannot be received in Southern Spain. Apparently they may be moved again shortly but as yet it isn't clear where they are going to end up.

The BBC radio channels have not been affected - yet.

Our resident expert will give us the whole story soon.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Yes.

Channels are moving satellites and frequencies.

Sky boxes should automatically update to the new frequencies - if not a simply reboot will reload the Sky Guide with the correct frequencies.

Freesat boxes will update during their early hours housekeeping. If you cannot wait, then unplug the box from the power for 30 seconds, then reboot. If this does not work, them perform a new Freesat scan, from the main Freesat menu.

For users with other boxes, you will need to perform a new channels search from your installation menu.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi

I did a freesat scan this afternoon and the travel channel has not returned.

Hopefully it will be there in the morning.

a

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 pm

We haven't been in Spain since May this year and we will be out at our house in Comares in November. We have a TV with Freesat (no Sky). Does anyone know what we will be able to pick up and whether we need to get someone out for a re-tune or bigger dish? I am aware about all the potential problems with this satelite change-over but have no real idea what this means in practice so any info would be helpful. Thanks

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks all, I will be patient. Jeff

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Jane wrote:We haven't been in Spain since May this year and we will be out at our house in Comares in November. We have a TV with Freesat (no Sky). Does anyone know what we will be able to pick up and whether we need to get someone out for a re-tune or bigger dish? I am aware about all the potential problems with this satelite change-over but have no real idea what this means in practice so any info would be helpful. Thanks
Not much has changed since May this year so you will notice no difference.
Changes will be happening later this year (late Nov / Dec / maybe even Jan), but how exactly no-one will know until it does.
You may need a larger dish to receive certain channels or your current dish may work - no-one can say.
But you will always get some uk tv channels, but they may not be the channels you want!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:56 am

satandpcguy wrote:

Freesat boxes will update during their early hours housekeeping. If you cannot wait, then unplug the box from the power for 30 seconds, then reboot. If this does not work, them perform a new Freesat scan, from the main Freesat menu.
I am assuming my Freesat box has retuned overnight but it does appear that the channels have gone to one of the satellites that we cannot get down here as there is no sign of them this morning.

At least getting radio via the Internet is pretty simple with no significant loss of quality.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:21 am

Correcto.
Some channels have been temporarily moved to the 2F UK beam.
So if you cannot receive C5, then you will not be able to receive these channels either.
It should be temporary, just part of the move between satellites, and hopefully by the 10th they will be on their permanent frequencies, which will hopefully be a pan European signals - but then that is upto the channel operator / owners and what they have paid for.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:10 am

still no travel channel this morning which is unfortunate as I was looking forward to the worlds greatest motorcycle rides South Africa :thumbdown:

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:51 pm

If you have a look here www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2F.html there is a list of the channels currently on the UK beam. Classic fm and the travel channel are I'm afraid 2 of them.

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Seems we'll just have to wait until we get out to Comares to see what we can view (if anything). I'll keep watching this thread though, it has been very helpful.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Try The Travel Channel +1 on 11.261 H, 27500
Let's go Brandon!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:02 pm

As long as Radio5live is abailable for me to watch the F1 GP on AntenaPlus with English commentary via the radio!
Only way to get round the money-grubbing Ecclestone's feal with Sky.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:07 pm

peteroldracer wrote:As long as Radio5live is abailable for me to watch the F1 GP on AntenaPlus with English commentary via the radio!
Only way to get round the money-grubbing Ecclestone's feal with Sky.

You don't need a commentary to tell you that the pratt Vettel is winning again! Even his peers are now joining in the booing after his recent comments about the other teams..

It is getting more and more boring every race and I have watched every race for years!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:13 pm

I agree Sid, but just find it difficult to drop! I was the same with ciggies for years until a real health shock did the job.
Anyone watching the MotoGP races from Aragon last week will have seen 3 exciting races, even if the bikes all look and sound the same....and the 3 classes are far from settled, even this late in the season.
BBC Red Button Rules OK!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:20 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I agree Sid, but just find it difficult to drop!
I kow the feeling Peter.

We usually make a thing of it on a Sunday with a fresh crab sandwich and a decent bottle of wine.

I must admit that the race now rarely adds much to the experience!

Perhaps we should turn the TV off and open another bottle!

I have to say that the most exciting sports series I have seen recently was the Americas Cup in San Fransisco Bay. If you didn't see any of it watch some on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukY6pQk3d2k

72ft catamarans with a closing speed of 100mph takes some beating!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:01 pm

El Cid wrote:
peteroldracer wrote:I agree Sid, but just find it difficult to drop!
I kow the feeling Peter.

We usually make a thing of it on a Sunday with a fresh crab sandwich and a decent bottle of wine.

I must admit that the race now rarely adds much to the experience!

Perhaps we should turn the TV off and open another bottle!

I have to say that the most exciting sports series I have seen recently was the Americas Cup in San Fransisco Bay. If you didn't see any of it watch some on YouTube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukY6pQk3d2k

72ft catamarans with a closing speed of 100mph takes some beating!

Sid
Yes OH was glued to the TV..even I watched some of it :mrgreen:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Classic FM seems to have moved again to a transponder that is receivable down here.

I haven't checked the other affected channels - no doubt The Guy will tell us which satellite they are now on.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:22 pm

After all the recent satellite shuffles of frequencies and channels, most channels are now on their final frequencies.

Some people may have lost channels as they were temporarily placed on the UK beam of 2F, making reception harder than before.

Now most of the channels are back on a "European beam" (many on 2Fs Eurobeam) so should be nice and easy to receive again.

Sky and Freesat boxes should automatically updte tot he new frequencies.

USers of other boxes will have to perform a channel scan, usually via the installation menu.