Good Pizzaria between Torre del Mar and Algarrobo Costa?

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
zanuck
Resident

Good Pizzaria between Torre del Mar and Algarrobo Costa?

Postby zanuck » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Sometimes we get the urge for a real pizza, does anyone know of a good pizzaria between Torre del Mar/Velez Malaga and Algarrobo Costa - one that ideally makes their own dough, but at least makes their own toppings and makes the pizzas to order rather than taking from the freezer.
A wood burning oven would be a bonus, but hey, an electric one is ok too.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Good Pizzaria between Torre del Mar and Algarrobo Costa?

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 pm

The only one for me is in Torre Del mar on the right heading in direction of Nerja. I think its called Mamma Mia. Its on the service road next to the main road thru near main police station and near Klimacentro. Very good.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 am

I can't comment on the quality but there is a Kebab house in Velez Malaga that make their own pizzas.I met one of the staff in the local supermarket yesterday as he was purchasing abou12 packets of flour to make pizza bases.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:33 am

*Tizo's in El Ingenio, next to Worten and opposite Burger King is suprisingly good - and often packed with families.
*redecorated recently with no drop in quality, service or price.
Last edited by peteroldracer on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 pm

I've just remembered that "El Buen Gusto",in the upstairs food court of El Ingenio shopping centre,does really nice pizzas and pasta and it has a good deal at "happy hour".Well worth a look and plenty of parking. :thumbup:

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I've only been the once - stumbled on it one evening in Velez Malaga. It's quite difficult to find but here goes..
Up Av Juan Carlos 1 to roundabout where the tramline goes straight through the middle. Left along past Real Baja to roundabout. Ist right onto Av Villa de Madrid. Continue up past traffic lights until you come to another roundabout with Supersol supermarket on RHS. Take the 1st right past said supermarket. Over the crossroads and about 150 metres up on the RHS is a small street with parking (you will have passed a similar one lower down this street). You will probably see a Flower shop called Florimar. The pizza place is next door and is called Ferrari. The guy is only open evenings and makes his own dough in a huge pastry mixer. He will show you it if you ask him.
The pizza we had was extremely good BUT - we've only been the once.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:34 pm

We sometimes get a takeaway pizza from Italia on Avd Tore Tore. Nice thin base!
We like it!
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:24 am

There's another Bar Italia on Av Duque de Ahumada in Torre del Mar - I haven't tried a pizza there, but their pasta dishes are really good - the spaghetti al ragu is a world away from what is normally served up as spaghetti bolognese in most "Italian" restaurants. It's only a tiny place, the chef is Italian and his wife, who does all the front of house stuff, is Spanish. The prices are very reasonable too.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Many thanks to all, a fantastic response to my query, we'll give one of the restaurants a try on ouor next visit in early November.
Thanks again - Z

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Wife just reminded me that we saw a cafe a couple of visits ago in Caleta de Mar, that had a pizza menu, the day we saw it, it was closing day and we can't remember the cafe's name.

It's about half way along the strip where the Saturday market is held, at the Torre end opposite the Hamer(?) Hotel. The cafe has a yellow awning.

Does anyone recognise that from the vague description above?

Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:56 pm

costakid wrote:The only one for me is in Torre Del mar on the right heading in direction of Nerja. I think its called Mamma Mia. Its on the service road next to the main road thru near main police station and near Klimacentro. Very good.
Tried it today. Excellent pizza - lovely thin crisp base cooked in the wood oven.

Good quantity of topping and good quality ingredients - about €6.50 on average.

Sid

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Sounds like this could be the first one to try, thanks Sid
Zanuck

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:24 pm

At last, we tried pizza.

Mamma Mia on Avenida Andalucía on the outskirts of Torre del Mar.

Friday night, we arrived fairly early at about 1950 after a 21km drive from "oop north" and parked outside.

Only two tables out of about 20 were occupied - a table of four Brits and two Germans, but within 10 minutes Spanish couples and a few families piled in.

When we left at around 9:20pm the place was full and no expats.

Thin pizza bases cooked in the wood oven, good selection, plenty of other Italian choices and a frequent number of drop in takeaways and phone orders for home delivery.

Attentive staff, and good value at less than €26 for 2 x pizzas, 1 x house red, 1 x agua con gas, 2 x cafes.

Jolly good - next time may try 1 x ensalada, 1 x pizza and 1 x vino tinto for about €20 which we saw a couple of tables ordering and not being able to finish.

Thanks Sid and costakid; will endeavour to follow up the other recommendations at another tiem.
Z

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Crikey! Really surprised by the recommendations for La Mama pizzas in Torre Del Mar, we found it to be one of the least good around the area. Over cooked bases and very stingy toppings, even stated ingredients missing :thumbdown:

In Velez Malaga there is El Horno, definitely a few notches better, in TDM there is the Kebab House up the other end of town, same road same side, even they make better pizzas and very cheap too.

The best we have tried is the above mentioned Farrari in Velez, really pukka pizzas.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Maybe it's the day of the week/staff on shift?

Will look at your recommendations when we are over, but somewhere called the Kebab House doesn't normally jump out at one as being a Pizza Restaurant............

But's what in a name?

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

Ferrari Pizza Restaurant
Av la Hispanidad, 15, Vélez-Málaga, Málaga, Spain
+34 952 50 50 93
Open today · 7:00 pm – 12:00 am
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela