Whatapp

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Acen
Resident

Whatapp

Postby Acen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 am

Apologies if this has been covered before, but i was wondering if anyone knew what the requirements were to get whats app here in Spain.

It seems in my village no one speaks to each other nor send emails or even use a phone to make a phone call.

I have an orange pay as you go phone (not smartphone) and need to look into getting this thing so that messages from the school get to me.

do you have to have a contract to get the this service??? I do believe its possible to put it on a computer but i don't know how that's done.

Does it work in a tablet and do you still use your existing telephone number???

thanks in advance for any advice.

acen

pensure1988
Resident

Re: Whatapp

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Acen

I found this website. I do not have an Iphone etc so don't know how it works.

http://ymuchomas.com/2013/09/22/whatsap ... r-the-sms/

Good Luck

Regards

CapnBilly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CapnBilly » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:37 am

Whatsapp only works on smartphones. It doesn't work on tablets. Having said that, based on your explanation, I can't see the school using it either. If they're going to send you a message, won't your sms system work just as well.

There are other systems, but they're all designed for phones, and are pretty clunky on a tablet. All my family have some form of apple device, iphone or ipad, so we use imessage instead of whats app, particularly the group discussion function. I tried a few different systems when my son swapped to an android phone, but they were so clunky my wife wouldn't use them. My son swapped back to Apple after 3 months.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am

the school, sports team and parents association in my village do not sent text messages to individual parents but send whatsapp messages instead.

it seems no one uses email or sms anymore.

so just to clarify whatsapp will no work using WIFI instead of a network!!!!

if I did have say orange spain contract and I was in Gibraltar for the day would that mean that I would be data roaming and/or it would not work???

thanks

a

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Acen,
Have a hunt around for info on running Whatsapp on a Tablet..................

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=37032453

Like any App that's not Supported on a device you will have to spend time sorting it.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Whatsup works over the internet through WIFI. 3G or 4G but a smartphone is required to send and receive messages etc because you will need to download an APP.

Many phone contracts give internet as part of the service many young people use Whatsup as a cost effective way of keeping in contact with their friends.

My son's comes in at 9 euros per month and in two years he's never gone over his limit, mainly due to Whatsup because he doesn't need to use SMS.

Why don't you bite the bullet and get rid of your old mobile and buy smart phone, it might be cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

Most people don't bother with the program on a computer because it's much easier on a pocket phone which you have with you all the time.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:49 pm

The world and his wife appear to use Whatsapp in Spain, its free if your connected to wifi and as the internet is so expensive in Spain, I guess thats why it caught on so fast there, although plenty now using it in UK , I never use anything else :) its so easy especially with the voice mail :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 am

The major draw back with whatsapp is you need internet, if you go out of range or out of your wifi range you do not receive your message. Texting is more reliable bit you have to pay which is why the Spanish use it. A lot of Brits turn off there roaming when away from the uk and log on at wifi zones so whatsapp becomes useless.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Ive never wanted a phone contract as I don't use my personal spanish mobile enough to warrant it.

I had a work Blackberry but no one i know in Spain uses BB messenger anymore.

Mark can you please expand on what service your son has??? is it with orange.

thanks to everyone for their advice on the subject, the sales girls in Carrefour are not that clued up especially then i was asking about when im in the Gib office.
Last edited by Acen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi Acen,
You could put Whatsapp on your Computer.............

http://www.androidappsforpc.com/whatsap ... ndows-7-8/

Viber is a similar App , I've put this on a PC and associated a mobile number to this App , sent and received messages ok .

Bluestacks is a Android Emulator and the Apps run inside this.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Acen wrote:
Mark can you please expand on what service your son has??? is it with orange.
Most companies have something around 9 euros
Orange have one for 5.60 per month on offer this week with 500mbs included

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:54 pm

I use Whatsapp a lot to communicate with our son in Vancouver. His Canadian phone package has international text messages as quite expensive - whatsapp is free to use with wifi or internet connection. You can send pics as well.
The advantage it has over SMS (apart from price) is that you can see if a whatsapp message has been 'sent' and then you can see if the recipient has actually received the message. This works for us because of the time difference. If we are in Spain (ie Roaming) then we have to wait until we get to a free wifi spot.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:28 pm

I also use it a lot to text a daughter in the UK. Sometimes it's easier and less time consuming than a face chat on skype - you can come and go or watch t.v. between texts. We ramble on for an hour sometimes, phone texts would mount up cost-wise. Photos sent by what'sapp are good, too although so far that's one way, my daughter sends them to me :)

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:47 pm

colinm wrote :
The advantage it has over SMS (apart from price) is that you can see if a whatsapp message has been 'sent' and then you can see if the recipient has actually received the message
You can do that with sms as well. You activate the "confirmation" option in your phone.