Britain Leaving EEC - discuss!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Britain Leaving EEC - discuss!

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 pm

masterob wrote:Without membership of the EU, Spain wouldn't have benefitted from all the EU Funding that modernized the Country - new roads, rail links etc.
Agreed masterbob, but what about the waste of money regarding new airports?
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Mowser wrote:
pigs-might-fly wrote:http://www.thecommentator.com/article/4 ... ess_crisis
If Spain hadn't been in the EU, they could have devalued their currency. This would have helped them get out of recession. As they are in the EU, they can't as rates are set by the central bank.
True,
but devaluing might not have been as effective in this recession as in others because of its global scale.
If there were no Euro, why would Spain be the only country looking to devalue?
If they had got it wrong and the main effects were that the prices imports rose sharply and exports didn't rally, they could have been in even more *beep*.

Much of Spain's economic mismanagement come from the way the country political system is set up, which goes back centuries. A sort of Feudalism still exists in Spain where power is given away to the regions, local Authorities in exchange for support in central government, allowing autonomous regions to have enough power to build and airport whereas in most other counties this decision would be made by the central government.
When people talk about the amount we pay to the EU and the amount it gets back, people conveniently forget that by investing in Spain and helping its economy grow, Spanish companies have invested in the UK. The high street is full of Spanish companies,Inditex being the main one, not only that we have Movistar, Iberdrola, Ferrovial, all investing in the UK economy.

In my opinion, this is Spain's biggest mistake. Britain encourages foreign investment,whereas Spain discourages it by imposing too much bureaucracy.If that airport had been half paid for by a private company,it wouldn't have been built in the first place.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Yes, Mark, in the UK it's the government who decides on airports, usually in London and 5od the rest of the country. Imagine living in Cornwall and having to travel to Bristol before there's a vague chance of flying somewhere decent, but usually at ridiculous times that necessitates hotels both coming and going. Wonderful!

Some Autonomous Regions did built vanity projects like airports that have never been opened but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. I like living in a place that can make decisions that affect the inhabitants of the region. It seems to work in some places, thank you. PS We don't have an international airport within 300 km of us. :(

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 pm

I just wanted a discussion on what would happen if UK voted out of EEC not a diatribe on UKIP, which is another story. Amazed at how many in favour. As long as you vote which ever way fine, but did not realise how much politics it would engender.
Hope you vote and not just comment.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Lavanda wrote:Yes, Mark, in the UK it's the government who decides on airports, usually in London and 5od the rest of the country. Imagine living in Cornwall and having to travel to Bristol before there's a vague chance of flying somewhere decent, but usually at ridiculous times that necessitates hotels both coming and going. Wonderful!

Some Autonomous Regions did built vanity projects like airports that have never been opened but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. I like living in a place that can make decisions that affect the inhabitants of the region. It seems to work in some places, thank you. PS We don't have an international airport within 300 km of us. :(
That 's fine if you don' t have 25 per cent of the population unemployed and some mayors receiving investment and building a sports complex even though the next town or village has one too.

As you know I'm in favour of the EU, including the free movement of people, investing in countries but not local mayors bribing voters with projects that don't produce long term benefits.

As for Britain leaving the UK , I feel that has been discussed in great depth already on the forum and in general we go round in circles. I usually post simply to try to give a little balance to a thread otherwise they just seem to become a UkIp appreciation society.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 am

What would happen if the UK left the EU?

A sigh of relief from most people in the UK and in the rest of Europe. But it won't happen independently of a general break-up of the EU, in its current form, which is a lot more likely.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 am

A sigh of relief from most people in the UK
Most Scots are in favour of the EU.
Dave

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Sorry Mowser. I'm probably being too flippent. The real answer, of course, is NOBODY KNOWS.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Lavanda wrote:Sorry Mowser. I'm probably being too flippent. The real answer, of course, is NOBODY KNOWS.
Afternoon Lavanda. I only posted this because with the Scottish independence referendum this year, some academics say Scotland won't be in the UK and they'd have to re-apply. If there's a referendum regarding the EU and the UK votes to come out ... and in the unlikely event that Scotland votes to leave the UK .. it will all become a bit of a mess.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Lavanda wrote:Sorry Mowser. I'm probably being too flippent. The real answer, of course, is NOBODY KNOWS.
I would agree,
Nobody knows. It might even be that there isn't a referendum if the Tories don't get back in. However, the possibilities of that happening have risen due the improving economy.
But if there is another coalition, it won't happen. (Unless it's with UKIP of course).

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Mowser wrote:

A sigh of relief from most people in the UK
Most Scots are in favour of the EU.
Where have you seen that Mowser?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

alexander 1

The quote is
A THIRD of Scots are likely to vote for Scotland to leave the European Union if David Cameron holds an in-out referendum on Europe
Web page is http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3281864

If a third want to leave, then that's a minority.
Dave

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Correct. :D

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Pro-EU campaigners are targeting some 1.2 million+ EU migrant voters for the EU elections 2014 & General Election 2015

You may have seen in the news how Pro-EU campaigners are targeting some 1.2 million+ EU migrant voters in order to try and win the Euro-elections 2014 & General Election 2015.... The ultimate aim being to deny the UK a referendum on EU membership.

The pro-EU migrant vote will have a significant influence on the Euro-elections, especially considering election turnout may be fairly low (it was only 35% back in 2009). http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pro-eu-campaig ... ns-1432928

How can we counteract this and ensure some fairness?

Overseas, British expatriates voters?

There are many British citizens who have paid into the UK system all their lives, but now live abroad. The majority of whom can actually still vote in UK elections, but are unaware of the fact.

Overseas voters can register here to vote: http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_t ... broad.aspx

Voting can be done by post, by a named proxy or in persion.

“There are fewer than 13,500 British expatriates on the electoral register, a tiny fraction of the estimated six million Britons living abroad."

“Many British expats simply don’t realise that they are still eligible to vote in UK elections once they have moved abroad. But even if you are living abroad, as long as you have been registered to vote in the UK at some point within the past 15 years, you can still be on the register as an “overseas voter”.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:01 pm

I think most British ex-pats living in Europe would vote to stay in the EU. They are scared of losing medical rights etc.

As an aside to fairness. I read in Private Eye where many of the Peers speaking against the Referendum Bill have vested interests that they have not declared. ie. most are paid in one way or another sitting on boards and Committees that are funded from Brussels.

From a few articles I have read recently regarding the Eurozone the whole thing could possibly crash before getting to a referndum...we can but hope :D

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:12 pm

“There are fewer than 13,500 British expatriates on the electoral register, a tiny fraction of the estimated six million Britons living abroad."

I think this figure is about right, the ones who are interested.

Most of the rest in Southern Spain are more worried about losing "Strictly / The X Factor", when the new satellite kicks in !

anyroads

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:31 pm

There may be more people on the electoral register this time as the town halls have been encouraging registration. I wish more would register as it would up the public services which are dished out by Madrid on a registered population basis. Estepona has recently done a drive to get more people registered, sending out material in several languages.
Of the 6 million Brits overseas I think the estimate of those in Spain is around half a million. Whether they bother to vote is up to them. I guess if they do not vote here they probably wouldn't in the UK either.

I am told that the empadronamiento should be renewed every 6 months or so or they may bump you off it. I emphasize that is what they say here, and, as they say, other places may differ.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 pm

They are scared of losing medical rights etc.
Wouldn't happen. The EEA has been discussed before.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Agree but many are scared. Not everyone reads forums. Bar room talk etc.