Costa del Crime

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Costa del Crime

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:55 pm

If anyone is interested in seeing the dregs of the earth we have to share our life with here in Spain have a look at 'Costa del Street Crime' on Bravo (Sky 124) at 2300 every night this week.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:16 pm

yes I was watching that the other week - its the main reason we left the coast, now we just have drunken spanish teenages at Botellons - but at least they are not agressive just noisy.

I have to say watching, that my reaction is totally with you - where do these people come from in UK??? they really are the scum of the earth. Nothing can prepare you for the images of drunk women half dressed falling in the gutter and guys beating the hell out of them - for being lippy ........ ugh. Its no wonder that they get robbed by the local/eastern european gangs :cry: :cry:

No wonder the local spanish here have such a bad view of the english race when you see the antics of the few.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:39 pm

I've heard so much about this programme from other sites, If any of you have Sky and are recording it I'd love a look when you've finished with the tape..

pkates
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pkates » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:13 pm

This programme seems to have gathered a few incidents from a broad spectrum of time and glued them into 1 disastrous encounter !!

Having lived in Fuengirola / Benalmadena for the last 5 years AND also being one of many people who goes out for a night in Plaza Sol y Mar (24 hour square) - I can safely say that the events seen on this program ARE NOT a regular occurrence.

Sure there's plenty of drunkenness during the summer months in these towns - but name me a resort town where there isn't ??

The behavior mentioned cannot been landed wholly with the Brits, although I'm not on here to defend us.

My honest opinion is that there is an agenda behind the making of this program - along the style of "print to shock" journalism that you read in The Star / Mirror / Sun newspapers.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:33 pm

Hi All

I have seen the programme, yes I have chosen to live much further along the coast nearer to Motril so have had no dealings with any of that sort of behaviour, but I cannot imagine that it is that bad, day in and day out, It seems to me that the UK TV take pleasure in filming over long periods and the as previous post says glue the worst together.
If it were that bad you would all have opted out by now.

Anyway, who is to blame for any problem? British yobs (and others) coming over here for a "good time" British TV will sensationalise anything that they think will get the general public watching.

pwwm

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 pm

I am of the opinion that if you are out for a good night out, not to get bladdered and mouthy, then to some extent we accept a certain amount of rowdiness etc. However, when these sort of programmes are put together it is the old sit and watch the TV brigade who are first on their soapboxes as it agains the norm, whatever that may mean. I agree that the yobbish behaviour is not acceptable but is this restricted to the CDS townships? I think not, as back in the UK the yob mentality exists even in the smallest of towns/villages so is not isolated to our areas down here.
Why do we not see programmes on say Guilford town centre on a Saturday night on the TV?
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:23 pm

Or Reading for that matter, I would not have walked through most British towns after dark on my own, weak feeble woman that I am!!!!!!!!! :roll:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Keep talking, you'll soon have us believe the CDS is crime free! Indeed, the only trouble is caused by visiting Brits. It's probably them that is causing you all to have to resort to security bars/shutters, security gates, guard dogs, patrols etc. I just can't work out why I don't need any of those security measures here, given that I'm surrounded by the same Brits.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:58 pm

My favourite is that programme called 'Britains Hardest Towns' presented by the much respected Essex hard case Dave Courtney. They even had a special section featuring the CDS, as Dave said a lot of the 'chaps' have moved there for business purpose and therefore it merited being included as a part of the British Isles. Yes, I can see the logic.
Respect to Dave, hes a diamond geezer! Just in case hes reading this.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:02 pm

yes Dave Courtney my hero great guy :lol: subject of a Costa Crime programme on his own I seem to remember. However have met him at the Gun Club and apart from him and friends being psychopathic(?) they were all great friendly guys.

I don't think the violence was any worst then any UK deprived inner city - its just that we don't expect it in Spain. And to be honest it made me ashamed to be a Brit. :oops:

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Yes, but seriously,Courtney is just a TV villain, hes retired, easy money playing the gangster for the cameras.
Lets face it Sherlock, the coast of Spain is an arrival point for a lot of drugs. How can you police that length of frontier ( even with a proper police force - not those plastic helmeted idiots!) Its not surprising that its a magnet for crooks. And the new generation are from East Europe, not the East End.

pkates
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pkates » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:45 am

Well, I was half expecting my original comments on this subject to take a pasting and a good 'figure poking' from the usual 'Andalucia Gurus'. Nice to see that some people here don't view life from the top of there soap box and are able to balance their opinions.

Anyway, seriously - I think all of us agree here that some of the behavior seen on that programme shouldn't be tolerated. Not from Brit holiday makers, Brit residents and above all the Spanish police. I'm the first to agree policing can't be the easiest of roles (especially when I think of my behavior in years gone by!) - however, smashing guys heads against walls when trying to restrain just isn't on!!

Who saw the clip when the cops let off the pepper spray, but had forgotten to check the wind direction ??? (It resulted in themselves being covered in the spray, as well as innocent by-standers - but the guy they were trying to apprehend being seemingly unharmed!! Verging on comical!!!) Just shows a lack of training to me.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:56 am

dear Kevin and P, lets not forget it was basically "reality" television so old ladies walking home safely won't make the edit.!

I agree some of the mistakes by the police made the best viewing :lol: Although I was surprised that there where areas where the local police had to go into in twos.... anyone know where they are so we can avoid them?

Having watched a couple of the pro grammes it has negatively affected my opinion of that area of the coast i.e. east of Calahonda to Malaga - glad I'm not trying to sell a house there :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:45 am Post subject:
Well, I was half expecting my original comments on this subject to take a pasting and a good 'figure poking' from the usual 'Andalusia Gurus'.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:37 pm Post subject:
Keep talking, you'll soon have us believe the CDS is crime free!

Yes I'm with you I don't live A.com land either

- but if I was in Spain on 17th I would take their money for the party 8)

Good luck with that guys I think its a really nice idea! Theres a few characters on here I would like to met. Hilly and Beachcomber should get an award for their useful postings and what happened to Mr Spinks - the ONLY person on the board with one identity and proud to show it :shock:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:22 pm

sherlock holmes wrote:
and what happened to Mr Spinks - the ONLY person on the board with one identity and proud to show it :shock:

I too was wondering where he was.
He had lots of advice for campo dwellers.

Mike

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Not a crime but did anyone read about the couple who live here in Marbella ? (Sunday Times) they have both donated over 20,000 pounds each to the liberal democrats and paid for 30,000 pounds of flights for charles Kennedy? I know he has a Ferrari.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:51 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:54 pm Post subject:
Not a crime but did anyone read about the couple who live here in Marbella ? (Sunday Times) they have both donated over 20,000 pounds each to the liberal democrats and paid for 30,000 pounds of flights for charles Kennedy? I know he has a Ferrari

katy, he did get a knighthood out of it !! - isnt he Lord someone of Belize? (on account of him being a tax exile) :twisted: Or was that some other hanger-on of Tony Blair - bigger :twisted: :twisted:

Bring back Maggie - the only man in the Conservative Party! - and congrats to Carol for winning "I'm a D list celeb in the rain and smiling for the camera out of here"

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:54 pm

I have watched the show religeously for about a week now, I do find it terribly amusing. It's strange that being a 20 year old, having lived here all my life that it was such a surprise to me, or maybe it wasnt.

The areas shows are 99.9% of the time Benalmadena and Fuengirola which are well known as the council estate of the costa del sol (no offence). So its to be expected that there are such levels of crime (well, most of it is just drunken behaviour rather than serious crime).

As for the police, I think they were fine although the pepper gas incident was amusing but im not going to criticise them. Keep in mind as they are on camera they are on their best behaviour and are a tad more mellow than usual. Having said that, the bad reputation of the police on the coast is malfounded. As I said I have lived here all my life and have always found the police to annoying but not unnecesarily violent or victimise foreigners. There may have been a few incidents where police have taken a brit down an alleyway and kick the life out of him but either he deserved it or was taken out of context/a lie.

If it's putting anyone off the costa del sol good, but as I said that is just Fuengriola and Benalmadena that are like that and what is shown on the show is mainly drunks. Nonetheless, a very interesting show.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:21 pm

THIS IS THE POST YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SPANISHLAD

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:20 pm

the question was not the existance of the thread, merely the lack of argument about the views expressed on the program.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:50 pm

Good luck with that guys I think its a really nice idea! Theres a few characters on here I would like to met. Hilly and Beachcomber should get an award for their useful postings and what happened to Mr Spinks - the ONLY person on the board with one identity and proud to show it

...errrrr... and there's me ....