for the workers amongst us, how much do u get paid ??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

for the workers amongst us, how much do u get paid ??

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:39 pm

ok, so no1 will want to tell anyone else what they get paid, but.. um.. i dont care. i have a point to make.

...when i was working as a "bar manager", for a busy nightclub / bar / non-food RnB establishment (projector tv, live footy, lots of beer)...

i was on 250 € a week.

thats 1000 a month.

that sounds like alot. think about it.. i was doing 12 / 14 hour days. 3pm-3am / 3pm-4.30am .. etc etc, averaging at 85 hours a week.

that works out at 2 euros 75 cents an hour.

thats ONE POUND NINETY-SIX an HOUR :roll: :roll:

i had 3 girls working for me, and never went out...and thats what i was paid.

and everyone still wants to move to spain?? bear in mind, that was a VERY good wage. alot of people are on 150€ a week :roll: :roll: :roll:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:43 pm

Spanish lad, is nt that under the minimum wage?

I glad you raised this question, quite a few of my friends kids come out on holiday think the place is fab and want to stay after the holiday. I give them the paper and tell them to phone around.

First question - can you read and write spanish (its spain after all)

next question - its a temporary contract or its self employed and commission only.

then they ask about bar work and discover its either relative of the owner or the pretty "amenable" girl who gets the job.

Then it rains and they sit in the house watching crap tv and getting bored because so much of the life is outside, then they miss their mum cooking and looking after them and someone to spoil them down the shops - then its time to wave them bye bye at the airport ;-)

At least you have something now rather than the day labouring you used to tell us about 8)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:07 pm

sherlock holmes wrote:Spanish lad, is nt that under the minimum wage? )
No way, the minimum wage is just over 500 a month!

1000 a month is good money (relatively speaking of course!)

Sid

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Sid I think that is may longer be the case.

A friend has an employee whos take home salary is approx 745 Euros per month (12 months not 14).

Friend is assured by usual gestor and has asked another gestor that this is correct and is the minimum allowed. The employee has a permanent contract.

Mike

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:54 am

sherlock holmes wrote:Spanish lad, is nt that under the minimum wage?

I glad you raised this question, quite a few of my friends kids come out on holiday think the place is fab and want to stay after the holiday. I give them the paper and tell them to phone around.

First question - can you read and write spanish (its spain after all)

next question - its a temporary contract or its self employed and commission only.

then they ask about bar work and discover its either relative of the owner or the pretty "amenable" girl who gets the job.

Then it rains and they sit in the house watching crap tv and getting bored because so much of the life is outside, then they miss their mum cooking and looking after them and someone to spoil them down the shops - then its time to wave them bye bye at the airport ;-)

At least you have something now rather than the day labouring you used to tell us about 8)
no, the minimum wage is 742 i think.

first, read what i wrote "when i was working" i no longer am,(it was closed down the day after mr. king was arrested ) , i was just wondering about the wages.

first question - yes, both fluently.

second question - nope, no contract, it was always promised, but never given.

about "the pretty "amenable" girl" .. i had 3 girls working for me, all models, so i can see where u are coming from.

i dont have anything but the day labouring. i worked today, and have a one off job to do for a neibour tomorrow.

i was just wondering about the rates of pay generally.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:18 am

spanish_lad wrote:no, the minimum wage is 742 i think.

I think you will find that the official figure for 2005 is 512.90 a month which is 7182 annually (14 monthly payments).

There is more information at http://tinyurl.com/cov82 or http://tinyurl.com/9unhu

It may be that your figure is the minimum cost to the employer which includes the social security payments that the employer has to pay.

There is also a higher figure used for temporary or seasonal staff of 24.29 a day which applies when you work for the same employer for less that 120 days.

Sid

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:52 am

Guessing that this question would not be straight forward, I asked friend again and friend says that the employers contribution is on top and that the 745 Euros per month is net for the employee.

Mike

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:11 am

Bongtrees wrote:Guessing that this question would not be straight forward, I asked friend again and friend says that the employers contribution is on top and that the 745 Euros per month is net for the employee. Mike
In which case he is being paid more than the statutory minimum wage.

There may well be exceptions and additional payments but both those sites make it quite clear what the official minimum wage (or SMI) is, which was the point raised by Sherlock.

The only country in the (old) EU with a lower figure is Portugal.

I guess your friend is one of the lucky ones!

Sid

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:20 am

Sid my friend is the employer.

Mike

LEONARDO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LEONARDO » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:44 am

You are all talking about the minimum wage per month but not discussing how many hours this equates to per week in the uk the amount is per hour not per month. Spanish said he was working a lot more than a 40 hour week so therefor his 1000 euros was well below the minimum wage as El Cid said.

Leonardo

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:42 pm

The spanish minimum wage system isnt as simple as something per hour, its more elaborate from what I know. I believe that it equates to 5€/hour as the minimum wage. My family have a pool company and workers get around 10€/hour. Also had a construction company and paid employees around 12€ per hour that was about 5 years ago though. When I worked as a waiter for about a week I got around 7,5€ per hour. When I trained as a business management consultant in san pedro I got about 5€ an hour.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:13 pm

when i worked in the hotel, i got paid 6€ per hour.

when i worked with my friend who owns the pool company, i got paid 75€ a day, which is 9.37€ a hour.

when i worked on the building site as a labourer i got paid 250€ a week, so that was 5.50€ an hour.

without a contract, is there anyhing that can be done about it ?

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:23 pm

So what are you complaining about? That you were left short by that nightclub or that wages in spain are too low? Because in your case it is evident the latter is not the case

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:28 pm

Sorry Posted this in the other interesting article about working in spain as well but here goes again:-

I grew up here in Spain so When I decided to come back to where I consider my home I knew about the job scenario. I expected to work longer hours for less money and the expected Saturday morning. However things are better than I could ever have imagined but I do speak fluent Spanish though!

I earn more money than I did in London (had a great job Systems Development Engineer) and have an indefinido contract. I do work longer hours but anything over the 42 contracted hours is paid as overtime and I am 40 years old next year so I got no age discrimination either.

Maybe it`s fate in coming home but really all I am trying to say is that it is not all doom and gloom over here. Be positive, be reliable, be loyal and as my signature say`s I live another day in paradise every day even though I have to work!

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Emilio
Tourist

Postby Emilio » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:51 pm

That's the question, Spanish lad, why are YOU here?

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:27 pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:51 pm Post subject:
That's the question, Spanish lad, why are YOU here?

he does say in a previous post his parents moved to SPain - give him a break guys ! this is a forum hes entiltled to his own opinion it would be pointless if we all had the same views.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:36 pm

Why are you here Emilio? You can't ask that if you haven't ever given any info.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:47 pm

i dont need to justify myself to anyone on these forums.

daneinspain - it was a GENERAL point i was making, the posts i make are not always about me!!!! christ sake, why have u got it in for me so much ?

emilio i am here because i have no choice. why are you here ? dont you dare make me justify myself to a group of strangers. u have no right.

katy thankyou for taking note of what i post here. did you come to the christmas fayre ? if you did, you will of met me ;)

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 am

just to get back on subject

Its a cutting from SUR ....

Low savings

According to a study carried out by the Fundación Cajas de Ahorros Confederadas (Funcas) (The Confederate Savings Banks Foundation), the third worst savers in Spain are those in the province of Malaga. In 2004, households in Malaga registered average savings of 1,136 euros per person, which amounts to 9.34 per cent of their annual income and is 41 per cent less than the national average - the lowest since 1995. It appears that the provinces in the north tend to save more than those in Andalucía. The leader is álava (3,229 euros per person), followed by Guipúzcoa (3,110) and Navarra (3,012) as opposed to the national average of 1,928 euros. Below Malaga, Cadiz and Granada occupy the last two places with amounts less than 900 euros. A National Statistics Institute survey revealed that 63.68 per cent of Andalusians admit finding it difficult to make ends meet although domestic spending rose by 4.7% compared to the same quarter
last year.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:59 am

so according to the sur the average income is 12,000 euros a year, or 1,000 a month ? i wonder where they get the fuçigures from ? i wonder if people who take part in their study declare all their income ?