Leylandii

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
GrahamES

Leylandii

Postby GrahamES » Tue May 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi! I have recently planted a row of 50 small leylandii trees in my garden. I watered then really well for about a week but some of them have thrived and some of them wilted and the leaves and turning brown. I was just wondering if I have over watered them? Where I live there is poor drainage and poor quality soil. If anyone have any advice or comments I would be most grateful :wave:

BusterG
Tourist

Re: Leylandii

Postby BusterG » Tue May 27, 2014 4:33 pm

my Spanish neighbour put some in a couple of years ago along his drive.
similar result as you 50/50 mortality rate. the live ones haven't rocketed up either so they dont yet provide any significant shade.
Good luck.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 27, 2014 4:56 pm

You don't see many in Spain so that should be a good indication. The pointy pines seem to be the preferred choice, but they don't grow so fast.

Sid

wazjulie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wazjulie » Fri May 30, 2014 9:48 am

If the soil is as bad as you say it may have been better to put in some compost based soil conditioner in first before planting. We are Algodonales the soil here is heavy clay.
we planted around 80 along our drive around 11 years ago. If I remember rightly the first few years they didn't do so well. Now they are around 20 feet high and really health. We top and trim the sides every spring. we just watered them in the summer only. your young trees to get them going maybe just every couple of weeks give the a big soaking with water.
feed them later in the spring when the soil is damp but be careful not to disturb the roots. another tip when its time to trim them we always do it in the later winter or spring. one year we made the mistake in cutting them when the weather was too hot and the bugs really attacked them. It took to the end of the year for them to recover. They are a picture of health now :D

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 am

Are you sure, GrahamES, that they really are the variety: Cupressocyparis leylandii and not something that looks similar? As El Cid alludes to, it is unusual to find them in Spain. Leylandii are thirsty and hungry plants (that's why they grow so fast!) and not suitable to most of our conditions.

Most ornamental conifers of the "leylandii" style and type that I've seen are in fact, of the "cupressus" family including the "fastigiata" variety that grow in a columnar style and is useful for hedging. Perhaps it's this you've got?

However, none of this academic argument denies the problem you describe. It would be possible to over-water as few plants like waterlogged soil and autumn planting is the standard, allowing time for establishment before the heat and dryness of summer. As also said, incorporating humus and conditioning the soil before planting is helpful with our clay soils. Expect some casualties - say 10% -but not 50%!
nil illegitimum carborundum