new camera

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bunty
Resident

new camera

Postby bunty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 am

Can anyone recommend a good small camera costing between 100 and 200 pounds or euros. The ones I keep buying don't seem to last very long... usually trouble with charging them. I am in U.K. at the moment and would like to take some nice snaps of grandchildren.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some help,

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: new camera

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:22 am

Difficult question - there is such a huge choice and most are well within your budget.

They are all pretty much the same as far as features go. Probably one decision you need to make is how powerful a zoom lens you want as they vary a lot. Personally I have a Panasonic Lumix and they seem to offer a pretty good range but frankly any camera from the major manufacturers is going to be pretty good and they all have more than adequate resolution to give really good results.

This is a relevant review to give you some ideas.

http://tech.uk.msn.com/cameras/10-best- ... ds#image=1

Sid

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks CID....

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:36 pm

I second the Panasonic Lumix range, again on experience.

My TZ3 is six years old, very heavily used and still going strong on its original battery which holds very good charge. As of a year ago it's no longer my main camera (I upgraded for more serious photography) but has proven to be excellent.
Along with its 10x optical zoom (newer models are 20+) it also sports wide angle, in this case the equivelant to 28mm (which is now bettered to 24mm), useful for family shots as you can get closer.

Review of new model HERE

If you shop around you can grab one for £155.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Just to let you know that I have bought a Cannon IXUS 265 H5

Will let you know how I get on with it,,,,,,mind you nowadays I am really quite happy with my photos from my mobile phone .........

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Good choice. Plenty of megapixels, a good 12x zoom lens with a wide angle as well, decent viewfinder, WiFi - what more could you want!

Full technical specs here

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... _elph340hs

Sid