speeding ticket

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
carrowcrin
Resident

speeding ticket

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:54 am

i just spoke to a friend who got a speeding ticket for €300 posted to his uk address for speeding somewhere around malaga with the hired car...
the question is what to do as he goes to spain regular and hoping it will go away may not be a good option which is probably what i would do...
any advise would be appreciated...

regards me

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: speeding ticket

Postby olive » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:48 am

I guess the question your friend may need answering is:

Are outstanding unpaid driving offences linked to a passport? In other words will they get stopped on their next regular visit at Spanish airport inbound?

Another question might be : Is the system joined up enough to flag the driving licence when another car is rented?

My advice would be pay it and sleep easy. maybe there is a discount for prompt payment.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 am

He broke the law, pay up.
Hopefully he will also get points on his UK licence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Did the letter include a photograph of the vehicle taken by the speed camera showing the location of the offence and the speed at which the vehicle was alleged to have been travelling and exactly by whom was it sent? Directly from DGT? By the hire car company? Or some other source. Was it sent by recorded delivery?

There have been instances of scam letters being sent to British residents in the UK who have recently returned from Spain requesting payments of 'fines' by way of transfer to a Spanish bank account. Some of these have been proven to have been sent by employees of hire car companies trying it on.

If it is genuine it will have to be paid but do not take it at face value.
Let's go Brandon!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Good call Beachcomber.......... :D

Just looking at the one the speedy wife picked up, it was from Ministerio del Interior DGT

Has some nice pictures of the car at speed with a mountain backdrop .......... :shock:

With speed ,date, time, location, etc.........on photo

So check it out.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Game bird!
how much over the limit :thumbup:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:04 pm

thats nice Gerry NOT

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:07 pm

I agree with Gerry, if you speed you should be punished; no excuse. If you didn't see the speed limit sign, you should not be driving.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 pm

costakid wrote:thats nice Gerry NOT
Why exactly do you have a problem with a driver from the UK getting points on his UK licence for speeding in Spain?

Would you be happy to see Spanish drivers in the UK being exempt from speeding fines in the UK?

It seems fair to me.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 pm

If they get points then thats the system, I just don't like the gloating. Do you laugh if someone shuts there finger in a door.
I bet everyone of you speeds as well

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Assuming this is a genuine letter, to get a €300 fine he must have been travelling at least 30kph over the limit unless it was in an urban area.
Let's go Brandon!

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 pm

gerryh wrote: Hopefully he will also get points on his UK licence.
Cheers
Gerry
What a nice person you are.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:40 am

Trapping a finger in a door, Costakid, is not illegal either here or in the UK. Neither is it liklely to cause injury to others.

Parilla

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:19 am

Your missing the point but if you are that narrow minded then good luck to you. The guys been caught speeding for gods sake. He is not the Yorkshire Ripper.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 am

costakid wrote:Your missing the point but if you are that narrow minded then good luck to you. The guys been caught speeding for gods sake. He is not the Yorkshire Ripper.
its nice to see someone has a bit of sanity about this... personally i pretty well break the speed limit every time i take a run and would regard myself a very safe and competent on the road though i will bend the rules to breaking point if i think i will get away with it.... i am thinking some of the people must have boring lives if they are so perfect... i thought the whole idea of the new life in spain was to re-energize and break a few rules...
anyway what seems to have happened is going off a big road the speed limit went from 1000 to 60 to 40 very quickly and he was doing 90 where it was 60... he is far more careful than me but i suppose if you do the crime you must do the time...

thanks for your thoughts... regards me

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 am

Does it work the other way round?
Would the owner of a Spanish registered (or any other EU country) car in the UK get pursued for payment if found speeding?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 am

I have written about this before but there is a stretch of mostly wide, straight road between Cártama and Alhaurín el Grande where the speed limit is 50kph and there is a continuous white line along most of the stretch. I make a point of driving at 50 but I am either tail-gated, flashed or overtaken by virtually every other vehicle, including police and Guardia Civil, that is travelling in the same direction.

I was even stopped one by a policía local who said I must be drunk because I was driving so slowly and I was causing a hazard to other drivers and it was only when I called into the police station in Alhaurín el Grande that they admitted that 'oh yes it is 50 but we don't know why and no-one ever bothers to keep to it'.

My point is, what IS the bloody point?
Let's go Brandon!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 am

Hi Nimrod,

"Does it work the other way round?"..............yes

I entered the London Low Emissions zone ....basically any area inside of M25 with an unregistered car(Spanish Plates).
Had letter at Spanish address in Spanish 8) ........had to prove that my car was exempt.

So it looks like things are getting joined up.......

Now its registered I get emails from Boris ( TFL)............telling me about delays on Hammersmith Flyover............. :roll:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

[quote="carrowcrin... personally i pretty well break the speed limit every time i take a run and would regard myself a very safe and competent on the road though i will bend the rules to breaking point if i think i will get away with it.... new life in spain and break a few rules...
[/quote]

In that case you should pretty well get lots of speeding fines.

At on time the UK Home Office attempted to make speeding as socially un-acceptable as drink driving; hence the number of speed cameras etc. Unfortunately it has somewhat lost its impetus.

The limit is there for a reason, particularly the low ones.

As to coming to Spain to break a few rules. I didn't break any in the UK and I don't intend, purposefully, to break any here.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 am

Enrique best mates with Boris now then :thumbup:
He''ll be asking you to sort out his laptop next!