Non resident tax and bank account

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non resident tax and bank account

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi ,
Sounds like a "local" problem on your computer, as I processed two forms yesterday and they went through as expected.

Good you got sorted...........next year with the saved data you will be able to complete the forms in five minutes and make a cup of coffee................. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:20 pm

But don't forget to change the year and the date and the valor catastral if it changes.
Let's go Brandon!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:30 pm

"The next step is a digital signature so that you can check your record of tax submissions online (along with many other things)"

Jury's out on the above for a Holiday maker..........ok for an exercise in Spanish bureaucracy, computer configuration, and the odd emails from DGT if you register............but for a few weeks in the sun................probably not.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:44 pm

It really depends on how long you stay here for and whether you have a Spanish vehicle registered to an address to which mail is not delivered.

I also have some non-resident friends who get into a panic every time their neighbours call them to say there is a registered letter from the tax office and they can't find out what it is about. With a digital signature you can get your notifications and deal with them within the time limit if necessary.
Let's go Brandon!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:33 pm

edit - bit of a time lag here - I am replying to Enrique !:

Oh, I don't know - I find it useful if I'm not going to be in Spain before the tax is due - just do it all online (providing my online banking is working :roll: )
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi chrissiehope,
"I find it useful if I'm not going to be in Spain before the tax is due"..............

The Non-resident tax can be paid any time throughout the year, and is based on the previous years numbers...............one would hope you would manage at least one trip a year..... 8)

I know the Digital Signature was a pet project of yours and thank you for the FAQ on the subject.

From my angle , although I got The Signature , I've not had any real use for it.........If I miss any of the "window payment " taxes like IBI.....just pop into the office , get revised amount (fine) and pay in the Bank. Was two months late last year and had a 4euro fine.....

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Yes, I would also hope to visit at least once a year, but life (& death :( ) can get in the way....but while it is also true that I don't make much use of my digital signature, it more than 'paid for itself' when it came to removing hubby from the joint bank account just before he died, without having to be physically present in Spain :)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:07 pm

I think the little bit of effort involved is worth it regardless of how much time one spends in Spain. In fact, the less time someone spends here the more valuable it would be.

How many times have we heard of people having money taken from their bank account by AEAT and then having great difficulty in finding out what it was for? Then they finally discover it was for a speeding fine or non-payment of IBI or the like that started out as an amount far less than they end up paying because fines and surcharges for late payment have been added.

With a digital certificate and registration with the tax office and you would be able to find out immediately but it would never get to that stage because you would have received the original notification electronically from AEAT or DGT that would never have arrived by post even if you were there to collect it.

I have digital certificates for about twenty people installed on my PC and all except one couple are non-residents. I have used most of them at one time or another on their behalf and have probably saved them, collectively, several thousand euros in fines and surcharges through being able to access and act upon their notifications.
Let's go Brandon!

Shell1965
Tourist

Postby Shell1965 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks again for all the input.
I went to the bank to pay and it went almost without a hitch!
I had printed the forms off in English and everything was ok until the bank clerk read the bottom of the third page - the one that they should keep. She told me that that form was not the one for the bank, that it was for the administration and that she needed one that had 'bank' written on it. (The form states 'Copy for the collaborating institution/representative').
However, armed with all the input from this site, along with the guidelines you all provided, I knew I was right and stood my ground!
Long story short, she showed me another form she had in Spanish and I was able to show her that my English version was the same as the Spanish one, and then - job done!
Enrique - I must say I was sceptical when you said I could do next year's in 5 minutes and have a cup of coffee - but having completed it now, I know you're right!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 am

Most of the banks don't have a clue. None of the forms go to the tax office because the information is sent online through the bar code. Anyway, you made it, well done!

When you do next year's don't forget to change the date and period at the top of the form and check your IBI receipt to see if the valor catastral has changed. The tax rate for this year (2014 submitted in 2015) will be the same at 24,75% but the latest tax proposals indicate that it may be cut to 20% for the 2015 financial year (submitted in 2016) and further to 19% the following year but there will be a general election before then so don't take that as being set in stone-
Let's go Brandon!