Tracing birth mother

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Tracing birth mother

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Been asked by a friend if I can find any information on how to trace her friends birth mother who is thought to be living in Spain. My friends friend was adopted and she has been told her birth mother is thought to have moved to Spain. Are there any agencies who do tracing work here?

lizzie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Tracing birth mother

Postby lizzie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:48 am

I believe the Salvation Army operate in Spain. They certainly assist with things like this in UK.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks lizzie, will pass that on :thumbup:

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 am

A friend of mine found a former colleague in Venezuela 15 years on through facebook,
I assume your friend has a name and tradition in Spain is even though this person may have got married in Spain they carry both names.

might be worth a try..

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I've been helping a friend, who has no computer, to trace his half brother. After a lot of searching, I found his birth certificate, wehich gave a mother's maiden name and then found her on GenesReunited. So I sent a message to the owner of the tree (who had the name of the person I was looking for) - but have never had a reply :thumbdown:

It can be a really frustrating job, tracing a family....
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:18 pm

All they know is the birth mother moved to Spain and she is in her 70s so not a lot to go on. I have passed on what you have told be though, Thanks :thumbup:

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 pm

I found this on internet

https://www.google.es/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=fug ... +biologica

as they are identifying the parents of the Franco stolen babies there must be a service and system.....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Chica56, the link will not work unless you put url tags around it, ie.

Please try editing your post by re entering the url with the tags.
Let's go Brandon!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:20 am

Something to think about. I read in one of the tabloids yesterday (mirror i think) of a young woman who successfully traced her birth mother only to be told by her " I still don't want you" cruel, heartbreaking ? perhaps. for my own experience I did the reverse and successfully contacted my daughter at the age of eighteen who I had agreed to give up to her birth mother and her new husband, both of whom had been cheating on me during our marriage.
I did have some interreaction with my daughter but after a short period she told me that she did not and never would consider me to be her father, nowadays I just don't think about it anymore, it's easier and less painful.
I don't know if there's a moral here but if there is it's probably "leave well alone" perhaps in this case the birth mother does not want to be "found" perhaps she has another family and another life, worth thinking about !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:06 am

Yes, my thoughts too. Don't know if there are any official stats on the long term outcomes of these reunions, we just see the happy first get-together photos in the news. The ones I have known have turned out badly. One who was the Mother of 3 children under 5 traced her Father. She was very taken with him and his family that she travelled 100 miles every weekend to stay, leaving her 3 toddlers at home. Her marriage eventually broke up, later so did the relationship with her Father.

A friend traced his birth Mother who was a schoolgirl when she gave birth and found she was still with his real Father. My friend had been adopted and brought up by a Barrister and become a Lawyer him self. His real parents had a large extended family..all like trailer trash. He brought them into his life and they sponged off him. He invited them to stay for his 15th wedding anniversary, 8 of them came down from Derby. I was at the party and drinks were mainly wines and spirits. When the few beers ran out they went out and came back with loads of cans of lager. They got real drunk and caused havoc.

Then a multi millionaire I know who was adopted was traced by a Brother....I could go on :mrgreen:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Reminds me of the story of the rich Irish American who spent half a million dollars tracing his family tree, and then a million dollars trying to hush it up !

anyroads

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 am

I traced my birth mother three years ago when I was 62 and she was 84. I had my original birth certificate with her name and address, stuck that information into a site called 'Missing You' (they have a special section for adopted people) and had five answers all pointing to the same lady. I then wrote to her and received a reply four days later by telephone from another lady who turned out to be my birth aunt.

We have a good relationship, my mother never had any other children and my aunt doesn't have any either, so I am the 'only one' for both of them. My mother is delighted, she said she never ever stopped thinking about me and didn't want to give me up. My aunt, who used to be a regular churchgoer until she hit her 90s, said she had prayed for me every week for all those years.

I don't call my mother 'mum', that position was taken by the wonderful lady who brought me up, but can manage 'mother' and my aunt I have no trouble calling 'Aunt V'.

None of this tally helps your friend, because my mother was traced buy people trawling through English birth records, but just to say that the can be a happy outcome.

I too suggest she tries the Salvation Army, or Long Lost Family on the television.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Lost_Family

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 am

That's a nice result for you Scampicat, great to hear it.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 pm

You can try Long Lost Family, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I tried them last year - this is part of what I got over a year later ( I did have an acknowledgement at the time I applied):

"we have had an overwhelming number of applications – more than twenty thousand in total across the last two series." It is a series of 6 programmes, each with 2 cases, so the odds aren't great :(

I don't know how they select the stories - seems to me there's often an overseas connection :wink:

I did find the person I was looking for eventually, on GenesReunited, but unfortunately they never responded to my messages :thumbdown: - so frustrating ...
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:55 pm

After being contacted by a girl I knew in my teens who told me all about her wonderful son
I lived in fear of a fifty odd year old bloke knocking on the door and calling me daddy.
Thankfully her next email told of her wonderful husband and how sorry they were that they
only had the one child.

mhic,