Moving to Sevilla

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Qaterine
Tourist

Moving to Sevilla

Postby Qaterine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi, this is my first post but I have enjoyed reading and learning from previous posts for the past few months. As the subject says I am moving to Seville at the end of September and although I have a wonderful extended Spanish family (my son in law is Spanish) I would be interested to meet/catch up with other expats in Seville especially retirees like myself, feel young at heart but the mirror tells me a different story! All the best, Cathy

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Sevilla

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Funnily enough I met a Spanish couple from Seville a week or so back and they told me there isn't a large expat community in Seville.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with your move.

Qaterine
Tourist

Postby Qaterine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 am

Thanks for your reply and welcome. I thought that the expat community was very small in Sevilla as I have only met two expats having visited frequently over the last four years. Oh well just need to persevere with my Spanish lessons. All the best.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:35 am

There were many expats in the surrounding areas, ie Tomares, Bollullos de la Mitacion, out in Espartinas. The American Womans club had a reasonable sized membership of varying ages. Many Airbus workers moved to the area. The Irish Bar behind the cathedral used to be a place to meet many nationalities also the Tex Mex bar further along on the left and up a small lane. I have no idea if they are both still open, been 2 years since at least since I was last in them.

Good luck with the move and with making new friends.

Qaterine
Tourist

Postby Qaterine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi VaIL,

Thanks for your reply. I know the Irish Bar and Tomares well - it sounds like a plan frequenting the Irish Bar :lolno: and I have some Spanish friends who live in Tomares. I will be living in Mairena Aljarafe so almost next door. Once again many thanks.

All the best,

Cathy

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 am

The Irish Bar is long gone........ you could try the Merchants Pub, that´s still there along with the Pheonix, one in Sevilla and one in Bormujos.

I think you will find a lot of expats here - but may be not in a community as such . As Val said the http://www.awcseville.com/ is always a good starting place if you are looking to meet up with expats.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Oh it was a very popular meeting place once, things change. Been in the Bormujos Pheonix, many moons ago for several functions and just for food.

esperanza
Tourist

Postby esperanza » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:15 am

Hi ValL

I've been an expat in Seville for the past 2 months and haven't met any other expats, just noticed lots of young 20 something exchange students. I'm not quite a retiree yet, I'm 45 and teaching English at an academy here, but would would be happy to meet up at some point for a chat and a coffee if you're free. I'm a bit too old for the 20 somethings :lol: I've joined Internations, an international group that meets up once a month, but they've been having their summer break since I've been here. I'll take a look at the American Women's Group as they might accept Brits.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:58 am

Hi esperanza, you should have no trouble with the AMC there are all nationalities there. I believe Christie Snowden is president now, lovely lady who I must try and contact. I am always up for a coffee but don't drive and am no longer near Sevilla.

esperanza
Tourist

Postby esperanza » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Whoops! I meant to direct the message at Qaterine :oops:

Qaterine
Tourist

Postby Qaterine » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi and so sorry for the late reply I have been packing up in the UK prior to my move to Seville. It would be great to meet up I can introduce you to my daughter who has lived in Seville for several years and who may be able to offer some advice. I will get in touch once I arrive and thanks for getting in touch.